Daily Day 53/365 Look in - I dare you!

Day 8

008 by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

For those wondering about lighting there is nothing amazing, I just move the lamp that is on my desk about! I might use the odd bit of white paper as a reflector/diffuser and the black cover of a book I have to hand too - but thats it!

Your photo today is sharp and simple - love it! :)

Love the perspective of yesterdays as well.

Look forward to what you see from your desk tomorrow! (y)

Again another amazing shot... adore the processing..(y)

Loving this series, hope you can make the year without leaving your desk

I'm not so sure! I might do a month on my desk then choose another sub project for the next month, but whatever happens, I am really enjoying it!

Day 8

For those wondering about lighting there is nothing amazing, I just move the lamp that is on my desk about! I might use the odd bit of white paper as a reflector/diffuser and the black cover of a book I have to hand too - but thats it!

Thank you, you certainly are working it well.

Am really impressed with your stuff, my imagination would have ran dry by this stage if I was so limited with my subject. Keep up the great work.

Phil

Am really impressed with your stuff, my imagination would have ran dry by this stage if I was so limited with my subject. Keep up the great work.

Phil

No imagination to it really, the objects are all there in front of me, I just have to sit and look at them for a minute and play!

Here is Day 9. Quick shot of the webcam.

009 by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

So simple yet brilliant. Very impressed with what your getting out of this 365! Love the calculator shot. That's very well lit with your very advanced lighting equipment :LOL:

Reminds me of Hal. The centre lens doesn't glow red by any chance does it?
:LOL: Nope it doesn't (produces rubbish picture actually but very rarely use it!)

You have a fab eye :)

Agree!!!

Thank you, just keep looking for new perspectives!

keep them coming its so nice to look at normal objects in a different light(y)

If I am honest they are surprising me too, I just keep forcing myself to look around the desk at everything to see what can be used next!

I think there's always something interesting about a photo of a camera (y) this works for me (y)

Cheers!

So simple yet brilliant. Very impressed with what your getting out of this 365! Love the calculator shot. That's very well lit with your very advanced lighting equipment :LOL:

Well on that note, and because it has been mentioned a few times, here is todays shot of my most advanced lighting equipment - a bendy desk light! I used my screen as a background and created a coloured background in MS Publisher then shot against that...

010 by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

So simple yet so effective isn't it.... and really loving the BG....

So simple yet so effective isn't it.... and really loving the BG....

It is! I figured the screen is just another light source and I really like backlighting things. I tried a few different colours and effects but blue is my favourite colour, so it won!

I don't quite know how you've managed to capture so much character with this. You've added personality to a lamp in a similar way Pixar did, but they had to animate theirs. Really like this one.

More lovely comments - thanks! Tim, that's a HUGE compliment not sure Pixar would agree with you!

I can't believe I am at my 100th post, as I am here is a bit of a personal update...

I am actually relishing the challenge each day of shooting on my desk, in a really low budget way and all of your positive comments are pushing me to keep on trying harder! I used to have pro kit and it tended to consume me, I was always changing lenses when I probably didnt need to. I bought loads of lighting gear that I rarely used or experimented with as it was a pain to get out etc. Going back to simplicity has completely inspired my photography, I shoot way more and more importantly I play more! I just get in my head that anything that generates light can be used as a light source, hence the screen use!

A good book for inspiration (although old- found mine in a charity shop for 50p) is Photography and the art of seeing by Freeman Patterson.

For me I have an idea of what I want then it develops. today I started with the idea that I would sillouhette something against the screen and that kinda turned out like this! When shooting, you need to know your technique but you also need to forget it and embrace the accidents too!

Last edited:
Excellent again! Love the simplicity of that last shot. And the blue backdrop really sets it off nicely

Todays shot is an abstract but you have to guess the object! 10 Ferj Points for the correct answer :) Hint: It was found on my desk and every photographer should have one ;)

011 by Ferj Photography, on Flickr

Oooh, it looks like an upside down thing to me :D

Pretty sure I don't have one though.

I love how you are so imaginative with your perspective and composition. I would never have thought to photograph a dead octopus in this way,

I love how you are so imaginative with your perspective and composition. I would never have thought to photograph a dead octopus in this way,

Yes I always keep one handy :)

Nope, still not the right answer any more guesses? Will reveal all when I post day 12!

Back