Dean Mason ~ Window on Wildlife.......info update to share.

Edit My Images
No
As I don't know how many might have been to his Dorset hide (reflection pool & not to forget his Harvest Mice workshop) or already know him through his FB page group.

He has been very seriously ill and his wife only recently updated the FB page to explain that it was Leptospirosis (Weil's disease) that he contracted. It seems the NHS has gotten him through the worst of it but still in ITU 5 weeks on !

Therefore giving everyone a heads up about his situation.

Last edited:
As I don't know how many might have been to his Dorset hide (reflection pool & not to forget his Harvest Mice workshop) or already know him through his FB page group.

He has been very seriously ill and his wife only recently updated the FB page to explain that it was Leptospirosis (Weil's disease) that he contracted. It seems the NHS has gotten him through the worst of it but still in ITU 5 weeks on !

Not nice, contact with rats I believe. :(

Not nice, contact with rats I believe. :(
Yes, AFAIK
His wife posted a heads up warning to any hide owners/users (especially) with reflection pools! It is my understanding that it is a water borne disease :(

Not nice, contact with rats I believe.
Most commonly carried by rats and cattle, and spread via their urine.

It is my understanding that it is a water borne disease
The bacteria stay's active in damp conditions, and passes in to humans via broken skin. Or eating without washing your hands.
Pesties, fisherman and sewer (tunnel) workers are most at risk, due to the damp grass around river banks, and the un sanitary area's
the other 2 may work in, inhabited by Rats.

The real problem is that the symptoms are very flu like, but worse, and are often missed by the infected person, and the medical profession alike.
It can and does kill you quicker than covid.
Thankfully this guy was very lucky.

Most commonly carried by rats and cattle, and spread via their urine.

The bacteria stay's active in damp conditions, and passes in to humans via broken skin. Or eating without washing your hands.
Pesties, fisherman and sewer (tunnel) workers are most at risk, due to the damp grass around river banks, and the un sanitary area's
the other 2 may work in, inhabited by Rats.

The real problem is that the symptoms are very flu like, but worse, and are often missed by the infected person, and the medical profession alike.
It can and does kill you quicker than covid.
Thankfully this guy was very lucky.
Thanks for the insights :)

I surmise his 'real recovery' will come once home..................and I hope he makes a full & speedy one without any post infection problems!

Last edited:
and I hope he makes a full & speedy one without any post infection problems!
Most people recover fully in a few weeks, the small proportion of unlucky ones continue to suffer with liver damage and kidney failure.
But this is suggested at about 5%.

Its a shame that very few people are aware of this, and how dangerous it can be.
When I was working I used to carry a card "This person is at risk from weils disease".

Thank you Lawrence (@Box Brownie ) for letting people know

I know Dean personally - have been to his reflection hide many many times- I hope he has a speedy recovery :)

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people recover fully in a few weeks, the small proportion of unlucky ones continue to suffer with liver damage and kidney failure.
But this is suggested at about 5%.

Its a shame that very few people are aware of this, and how dangerous it can be.
When I was working I used to carry a card "This person is at risk from weils disease".

Another nasty disease to worry about is Lyme Disease. UK medics are a little more clued up about it these days (compared with 10-20 years ago) but it still gets missed all too often. If you get bitten by a tick, get tested!

And all the best to the gentleman concerned for a full recovery.

If you get bitten by a tick, get tested!
When I stayed in SD years ago, for a few months, the night time ritual just before bed was to un-srew them :D

I beg your pardon Chris. You did what ? Lol :)
Ticks, you unscrew them not pull them out or you may well leave the mouth parts embedded,
then they can get infected.
SD = South Dakota US of A

Gosh I'm really sorry to hear about this. I have never been to his hide, but I do know of him. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Chris...............great detail in the posts above on rat catcher's yellows....really really informative.. for others and accurate to what I was taught/learned years back ...never knew of the card.....I guess some of us ( IE ME) forget that most of our society knows little of this.........always thought Weil#s was common knowledge................. but strongly suspect is really isn't as you say

All the luck to Dean

stu

..never knew of the card.....
TBH I'm not sure if they are freely available or not, it was issued, by one of the companies I worked for years ago, now.
If they are, I suggest you get one, if you spent a lot of time in damp meadows and or around river banks.

Ticks, you unscrew them not pull them out or you may well leave the mouth parts embedded,
then they can get infected.
SD = South Dakota US of A
Oh I see - I thought you where in SD = South Devon lol :)

I never knew that, never had a tick, they don't seem to like Yorkshire Blood and as you so eloquently posted earlier
I'm " Bloody Clumsy " so spend a lot of time face down :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les:)

Not a nice disease to have , I remember some years back sat on my yacht in the harbour ( yes really ) watching the antics of some water skiers in the river ,one swung to wide and ended up crashing into a bridge pillar on the river . Apparently he suffered a few deep cuts but nothing serious or life threatening at the time .
I heard a few weeks later that he had died from contacting weils disease via the cuts . You just don’t think it can happen but it does

Back