Decent tripod under £100

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
OH Has offered to get me a new tripod for Xmas as my cheap £29 has finally died after 4 years (not bad going, has been all over Scotland), we usually keep budget around £100.

Needs to be decent for outdoors as I do sky photography in windy / cold locations.

Sturdiness is more important than weight as it will live in my car boot.

Thanks in advance.

Including a head?

I’m sure you’ll be told that you need to spend more than £100 which is fair do’s. However some of the generic Chinese brands (zomie, k&f etc) are actually Ok for the money... they all seem to have the same designs so I assume are much of a muchness and can be had for under 100 quid. I’ve used a Zomie (I think the model number was 666) for exposures upto 60 seconds without a problem (lightweight camera though)

Also you can get 30% of the three legged thing range this week at SRB with the code BLACKFRIDAY3LT which brings some of them into your price bracket.... they do get mixed reviews on here though.

Last edited:
Including a head?

Indeed. This will make a fairly sizable difference to price/quality/sturdiness.

Personally, I like Manfrotto tripods (good value/quality imo)....I have an old set of aluminium 190CL legs (~2kg without the head) which are weighty, but have been completely reliable and very sturdy, and must be over 10 years old now!

A quick look on the internet....from Wex, a set of aluminium legs (MT290XTA3) looks pretty nice, and fits your budget if you already have a tripod head.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-mt290xta3-aluminium-tripod-1578949/ - £84.95

Since they're (inexpensive) aluminium, and not (expensive) carbon fibre, they have some heft to them (1780g)... possibly an advantage for windy weather.
They are 3 section legs - better for stability, and the leg 'snaps' are adjustable to compensate for long term wear - in many ways they seem like the successor to the ones I have, which have been excellent

If you want a sturdy tripod + sturdy head, then you might need to increase your budget, or settle for something a little less sturdy.

Hope this helps :)

(Links for info only)

Thanks for all your replies. I’d ideally like to get the full thing as one kit. To put it in perspective my £30 job from John Lewis has actually okay for me, I just had a wee accident with it and a plastic leg clamp has snapped off.

I figured the jump from £30 to £100 would be significant enough to get the next stage up in quality.

Including a head?

I’m sure you’ll be told that you need to spend more than £100 which is fair do’s. However some of the generic Chinese brands (zomie, k&f etc) are actually Ok for the money... they all seem to have the same designs so I assume are much of a muchness and can be had for under 100 quid. I’ve used a Zomie (I think the model number was 666) for exposures upto 60 seconds without a problem (lightweight camera though)

Also you can get 30% of the three legged thing range this week at SRB with the code BLACKFRIDAY3LT which brings some of them into your price bracket.... they do get mixed reviews on here though.

Indeed. This will make a fairly sizable difference to price/quality/sturdiness.

Personally, I like Manfrotto tripods (good value/quality imo)....I have an old set of aluminium 190CL legs (~2kg without the head) which are weighty, but have been completely reliable and very sturdy, and must be over 10 years old now!

A quick look on the internet....from Wex, a set of aluminium legs (MT290XTA3) looks pretty nice, and fits your budget if you already have a tripod head.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/manfrotto-mt290xta3-aluminium-tripod-1578949/ - £84.95

Since they're (inexpensive) aluminium, and not (expensive) carbon fibre, they have some heft to them (1780g)... possibly an advantage for windy weather.
They are 3 section legs - better for stability, and the leg 'snaps' are adjustable to compensate for long term wear - in many ways they seem like the successor to the ones I have, which have been excellent

If you want a sturdy tripod + sturdy head, then you might need to increase your budget, or settle for something a little less sturdy.

Hope this helps :)

(Links for info only)

Buy used... from here preferably.
Anyway. Strong / cheap / light. Pick any two.

Thanks for all your replies. I’d ideally like to get the full thing as one kit. To put it in perspective my £30 job from John Lewis has actually okay for me, I just had a wee accident with it and a plastic leg clamp has snapped off.

I figured the jump from £30 to £100 would be significant enough to get the next stage up in quality.

You have now learned one thing - and it's not about tripods but about these forums - and that is not ask for that sort of advice around here. Too many will tell you that a £100 tripod is utterly terrible without putting it in perspective or asking what you want it for and how much it is worth to you.

£100 will get you something that will work very reasonably in a lot of situations. If you have been happy with your £29 tripod then presumably you're not using heavy kit and your expectations are going to be reasonable. You'll probably get a nice upgrade.

Decide on the size/weight vs cost. Ballhead vs a pan/tilt head and go looking for something that suits and then take a hunt on Google and Youtube for reviews of the options you are considering.

As has been suggested - take a look at the Manfrotto range. Vanguard do some reasonable lower range tripods. I've seen a few people using K&F which has been successful in getting noticed as a brand. Take a look at Amazon Warehouse deals.

Last edited:
The Ravelli tripods on Amazon are aluminium with metal fittings and go for about £50. They are heavy.

There is a manfrotto 055 prob inc head in the classifieds for £100 if its still there

Back