Derwent Water Dream

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
"Listen to the forecasts" they said, "Clear skies and cold temps" they said.
With this in mind, I set off super early for a trip to the Lakes before work today. A little surprised to be greeted by a blizzard as I arrived in Cumbria.
So, I decided to shoot from a spot that I hadn't visited before, the bay at Crow Park, looking out to Derwent Isle. The clearing mist at least gave me something to work with, and I was happy to get a shot away!
It was a grand morning to be out, so calm and peaceful, sometimes it is just magical watching the start of a new day in such tranquil surroundings. Feeling the effects of a 4am alarm now though!

Derwent Water Dream by Matt White, on Flickr

I like your kind of dreams!

In a word, ethereal! Love it :)

Thank you very much, i'd agree with your wording for that!!

That's lovely!

Dreamy indeed!

Thanks very much Dan, I'm rubbish at captioning usually

Smurfing 'ell.

I don't know what to make of that! Good boy!

Thanks very much Steve. Not what I set out to achieve this morning, but better than coming home empty handed.

I like your kind of dreams!

Thanks Kodiak, when I get up at 4am, sometimes it is hard to distinguish dreams from reality.

Lovely shot, makes me want to get my back side out of bed a bit earlier! :D

You should. It's great to have the world to yourself. I wish I could do it more often!! Thank you

Last edited:
Often the way. I wrote that about a recent image over on my site. Nature might not have given you what you wanted, but certainly what you needed to make the trip worthwhile. It's probably the finest image of Derwent water and indeed the Lake District I've ever seen.

Often the way. I wrote that about a recent image over on my site. Nature might not have given you what you wanted, but certainly what you needed to make the trip worthwhile. It's probably the finest image of Derwent water and indeed the Lake District I've ever seen.

Steady on there Steve, have you been drinking! Haha.
When I get out of bed that early, I really want to get something shot that I am happy with - there's always opportunity for another attempt at the location I had in mind! If you look hard enough in the right conditions, there is always something to shoot!
Thanks again!

Nice shot Matt. How's the Zeiss?

Didn't really get chance, as it was too wide for the shots I ended up making. I did give it a couple of tests and I have to say I am really impressed with the contrast. I got the filter holder thread for it in the post today, so I am fully kitted up and ready to go. Considering a return to the lakes tomorrow morning, if the forecast suggests it may be worthwhile. Who needs sleep anyway!

great that

Steady on there Steve, have you been drinking! Haha.
When I get out of bed that early, I really want to get something shot that I am happy with - there's always opportunity for another attempt at the location I had in mind! If you look hard enough in the right conditions, there is always something to shoot!
Thanks again!

!

Honestly, its utterly fabulous and better than the 2012 LPOTY winner they chose for the lake district. I prefer clearer more open skies but man, this works.

I got a misty day in Glencoe and went for the B&W and was extremely pleased in retrospect what happened did. You should be too.

Heres my spiel...http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-locations-scotland/

I saw your other wider image on Flickr and like that too.

great that

Thanks very much Ross! Appreciated!

Honestly, its utterly fabulous and better than the 2012 LPOTY winner they chose for the lake district. I prefer clearer more open skies but man, this works.

I got a misty day in Glencoe and went for the B&W and was extremely pleased in retrospect what happened did. You should be too.

Heres my spiel...http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/landscape-photography-locations-scotland/

I saw your other wider image on Flickr and like that too.

Jeez, thats fairly serious talk Steve!! I was after some clear skies really, but the hanging mist did the trick really. It was very quick to clear, so I didn't get chance to get much more done. I intended to drive back via Ullswater, but it never materialised.
One of my aims this year is to have something worthy to enter in the LPOTY and SLPOTY competitions at the end of the year, I'm making a concerted effort to improve my landscapes, so good to know that I'm heading in the right direction.
The wider image was taken on the new Zeiss, I literally had 8 minutes to look at these in Lightroom at lunch, so I may need to revisit them, it was a bit of a rush job.
I'll take a look at the link in just a while. Adaptability is a pretty useful skill in Landscape photography in the UK it seems. Thanks again, I do appreciate your comments!

Reactions: ST4
Oh wow Matty....What a fabulous image.

Very nice Matty, and well worth the early morning alarm call. That's definitely my sort of shot.
Would love to see that in b+w and also b+w with just the 2 lights and reflection in colour (Tin hat at the ready :whistle: )

Oh wow Matty....What a fabulous image.

Thank you very much Ruth. I'll take it as a consolation prize for the day haha! Much appreciated!

Very nice Matty, and well worth the early morning alarm call. That's definitely my sort of shot.
Would love to see that in b+w and also b+w with just the 2 lights and reflection in colour (Tin hat at the ready :whistle: )

Thank you Paul. Pleased you like the shot.
Put your tin hat on, because there is absolutely no way that I'll be colour popping this image. It's a pet hate of mine.
Each to his own, I'm not the sort of man to argue over peoples preferences, its just not my thing.:cool:
I think that its a bit too subtle in the tones to work properly in black and white though, it would have a washed out grey feel to it I think.
I quite like the subtle tones of first light, it's the way that the scene 'spoke' to me. Jeez, i sound like a hippy!

C'mon Matty, just for me :coat:

It is a wonderful shot though and the more I look at it, the better it gets. I've been on a few early morning jaunts and its a great feeling to stand there and watch it all unfold.

C'mon Matty, just for me :coat:

It is a wonderful shot though and the more I look at it, the better it gets. I've been on a few early morning jaunts and its a great feeling to stand there and watch it all unfold.

The closest you'll get is me photoshopping a big red "Forbidden" sign over the front of the image. :angelic:
Its an awesome feeling though, you're right, and with the snow falling and calm reflections, it really is an amazing experience that we all miss out on all too often!

Love it, really strong image.

Thank Sandy, I was pretty happy with the composition, and the reflections just played into my hands!

That's pretty special, what great conditions to find yourself in. Certainly worth the early start.

A real beauty, well worth the early start :)

Thank you very much Ruth. I'll take it as a consolation prize for the day haha! Much appreciated!

There's no consolation.
It's beautiful.

Really endearing shot ! Makes one want to get up early just to see a sight like this let alone photograph

Something I really like about this

That is beautiful.
I know the spot well and have never seen it in reality look so nice, wonderful gentle image.
Wish I had one I had taken like that.

That's pretty special, what great conditions to find yourself in. Certainly worth the early start.

Thank you Steve, a bit of a shock, when I was expecting clear blue skies and sun. I'll take it though!

Stunning image well worth the early rise.

Thanks Graham, going to be an early night tonight though, and maybe a quick trip out tomorrow for sunrise.....

A real beauty, well worth the early start :)

Thanks Gramps, I'm getting used to these early starts, its so nice to have the countryside to yourself!

Great shot - stop whinging :D

Dave

Nah, whinging is what I am good at. Thanks Dave, appreciated!!

Great shot Matty, well done ! :)

Thank you very much Baz.

There's no consolation.
It's beautiful.

Thanks Ruth, I know I'm doing ok, when you don't call me out for my halo's - maybe I am learning after all!!

Great shot, very calming. Well deserved reward for your early start.

Thank you very much Neil, always nice to make these early mornings count!

Really endearing shot ! Makes one want to get up early just to see a sight like this let alone photograph

Something I really like about this

Thanks Chris, I always take some time out just to soak up the scene and the ambience, every time I go out to shoot.
Really pleased you like the shot!!

That is beautiful.
I know the spot well and have never seen it in reality look so nice, wonderful gentle image.
Wish I had one I had taken like that.

Thanks very much indeed Alan, I've never shot here before, so today seemed a good opportunity, with the mist offering a bit of interest to the scene.
Really appreciated!

Excellent photography

Thanks very much indeed James

Another stunner Matty, I love how the mist gives a natural bright vignette and combined with the fence leads nicely towards the trees. Beautiful

Another stunner Matty, I love how the mist gives a natural bright vignette and combined with the fence leads nicely towards the trees. Beautiful

Thank you Steve, really enjoying my photography at the moment, just need to figure out how find more hours in the day

Marvellous image, superbly recorded.

Thanks Duncan, really appreciated, pleased you like the shot!

Super, well worth the trip!

Cheers Alan, was a tiring one, and much coffee was needed. I'll be fitting more of these trips in soon, when it is easier to get back for work in the morning.

That really is quite wonderful - congrats on that pic feller.

Thanks Toni, pretty happy with it to be honest, wish I had gone again today, but couldn't make it back in time for work!

Great capture and composition.

Thanks Andrew, tried to go for something a little different to the usual gate composition from here, and I think it just about worked out!

Lovely image, can't really say anymore than that.

Thank you Dale, very much appreciated!

Fantastic shot from the calm water and the fence leading in through to the island? and the slightly isolated peaks in the background. I can only echo what everyone else has said, this is a beautiful image.

Rather nice is that, far better to have those conditions than plain blue skies. The only thing I might prefer is if you had a little less space to the left and a bit more to the right, only a minor thing but otherwise love the mood. I took a couple from here last month with a couple of colourful sunrises, as nice as that was I'd have preferred these misty conditions!

Back