Deserted Path

Like that Stu but I'd like to see just a bit more in the shadows, especially to the left. Depends on the mood I suppose.

Like that Stu but I'd like to see just a bit more in the shadows, especially to the left. Depends on the mood I suppose.
Thanks Dale just a processing choice with the shadows, I did have them raised a fair bit initially but it was all a bit dark/midtone, was trying to emphasise the path more than anything else. That part of the fell upper left was in quite deep shadow anyway mind

Beautiful monochrome image love the detail and tones (y)

Fine result that works for me Stuart, although old habits makes me want the boardwalk to end on the bottom corner ........... ;)

Lovely.
I'm really liking the tones and composition, especially the light path along the wood.
Regarding Peter's point above, maybe consider a square crop with the boardwalk, balanced with a crop in the sky?
As an alternative to review or even keep as a spare jpeg, might be something there...?

Fine result that works for me Stuart, although old habits makes me want the boardwalk to end on the bottom corner ........... ;)

Lovely.
I'm really liking the tones and composition, especially the light path along the wood.
Regarding Peter's point above, maybe consider a square crop with the boardwalk, balanced with a crop in the sky?
As an alternative to review or even keep as a spare jpeg, might be something there...?
Good points on both, will try a square crop.... Also re. path from the bottom corner, I wish I'd shot it with mono in mind in which case I'd have done exactly that, the foliage in the immediate foreground is bright yellow so I'd composed for this hence the path not in the corner. It was autumn when I took it and was hoping for golden light on said foreground but it never came sadly

Just a thought for you.....

What does the image "say"? It's quite attractive visually but to me it's meaning isn't very clear at all.

Awaits brickbats.
No brickbats, but I guess it's meaning is as open to interpretation by the viewer as it is to the artist in this sense? I'm clear on my motivations for taking it (sense of isolation etc) but could mean something completely different to the next person. But more than anything it's a seldom shot place and makes for a great composition.

Perhaps as a noob looking in perhaps I can help here.

To me that is what I would call a "moody" picture. The clouds are in a foul mood just waiting for the conditions to be right to unleash rain/hail/snow dependant upon the prevailing temperature.
Then you have what I call the shining path reflecting the light of the sun, which is also illuminating the valley and mountains in the background, And that same sun is not allowing the clouds to do their dirty work!!!

The rest of you may think that I am writing a load of cadswallop - and you are entitled to your opinion on that as am I - but that is what Stuart's picture portrays to me.
The only critique that I have is that whoever built the footpath is not a photographer. That footpath should have turned right halfway around the left hand bend so that it went towards the valley beyond!!!!!

Lovely mood to this... Very nice indeed.
Makes me want to walk the path.

Nice shot Stuart I liked it when I saw it on Flickr earlier.

Great sharpness starting right in the foreground and going to the background.
Superb light on this wooden track.
Shot at 27mm but almost feel wider.

A great photography.

Only small niggle are the tree on the left which are lost within the mountain in the backgroung and hard to read. A bit more light on these would have given yet another layer of depth.

I still really like it! I would love to be able to do some shot like that myself.

Lovely mood to this... Very nice indeed.
Makes me want to walk the path.

Nice shot Stuart I liked it when I saw it on Flickr earlier.

Great sharpness starting right in the foreground and going to the background.
Superb light on this wooden track.
Shot at 27mm but almost feel wider.

A great photography.

Only small niggle are the tree on the left which are lost within the mountain in the backgroung and hard to read. A bit more light on these would have given yet another layer of depth.

I still really like it! I would love to be able to do some shot like that myself.

What a stunning shot, love how the eye follows the wooden walk way all through the shot, while keeping an eye on the nicely lit mountain in the BG :)
Thanks everyone (y)

The path, deserted as it is, however doesn't engage my interest on its own for very long. Something more is needed
Fair point, any idea what is needed?
Having posed the question I suppose I should make a comment too!

I don't have a simple answer but the boardwalk seems such a prominent man-made feauture within an apparently wild landscape that I feel there must be a message there somewhere.
I guess you'll have to keep looking for a meaning then Jerry :D

I find it just a little bit dark and hard to see for me, but I like the composition and idea. I'd also lose the vingette.
Yeah I'm going to lighten some of the shadows a little although as mentioned not too much as there's little interest in them to start with and don't want them to become distracting.

Love the composition, Stuart, and the mood - although would agree it's a touch too dark. Have you thought of a 4:5 crop too? Just a couple of random thoughts.

Hope you are with camera soon!

Love the composition, Stuart, and the mood - although would agree it's a touch too dark. Have you thought of a 4:5 crop too? Just a couple of random thoughts.

Hope you are with camera soon!
Cheers mate from memory I think this is 5x7 but yeah I'll look at that as I hadn't considered it.
Christ the camera yeah, hopefully next week, it's being replaced as the repairers have now decided it's unfixable despite earlier being told the contrary. Either way manfrotto are covering both camera and tripod so all's well thankfully, just sick of waiting lol

Cheers mate from memory I think this is 5x7 but yeah I'll look at that as I hadn't considered it.
Christ the camera yeah, hopefully next week, it's being replaced as the repairers have now decided it's unfixable despite earlier being told the contrary. Either way manfrotto are covering both camera and tripod so all's well thankfully, just sick of waiting lol
Hey that's a bit of a result! Are they just replacing like for like (camera wise I mean)?

Hey that's a bit of a result! Are they just replacing like for like (camera wise I mean)?
Not sure yet, head of sales says he's going to 'speak to nikon' on Monday so I'm not even sure what that means, although I'd imagine so, it'll be both camera and lens as they're both ruined. They're sending me a new tripod on Monday also, fair to play to them they've been great about the whole thing.

Not sure yet, head of sales says he's going to 'speak to nikon' on Monday so I'm not even sure what that means, although I'd imagine so, it'll be both camera and lens as they're both ruined. They're sending me a new tripod on Monday also, fair to play to them they've been great about the whole thing.
Excellent, glad to hear good news stories like this as the bad news ones always rise to the top!

Even if the left hand edge is a little dark I like the overall effect of the moody atmosphere. I 'see' an illuminated path leading to the light in the distance.

If looking for a meaning how about 'Follow the path to enlightenment' Just a thought!

Ok so I've gone back and lightened the mono a touch and lost the vignette which i think is a slight improvement, as I say not too much as I didn't want to lose the feel of the image - I don't think posting the image at the smaller size helped initially either as when i viewed on my monitor I could still see detail in the dark bits:

Deserted by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

I've also included the colour version taken slightly later (gets castigated for going mono) I guess I never used the colour as all it reminded me of was not getting the light I wanted on the foreground despite standing there for a bloody age...

The Boardwalk by Stuart McGlennon, on Flickr

The colour shot is interesting Stuart, and really quite good with the light hitting the centre ground and giving a lot of prominence to the warm colours there. The original b&w is a whole different photo though, and I think it's better than the colour one.

I'll second that. Whilst I like the colour image I much prefer the mono version which I feel has more atmosphere.

The mono is way better than the colour.

I like the colour photo as well.

I just find it so interesting that the content of the colour image is so different to that in the black-and-white. For me the B&W asks the question which I mentioned above. ....what is the relationship between the man-made and the natural in this landscape?

The colour image on the other hand refers more to surface features, colours, texture, vegetation types, etc.

Each, of course, is equally valid.

Back