Digital catching up with film, at a price.

dmb

Edit My Images
No
Interesting to read in this week's Amateur Photographer that the latest R3 Canon has caught up with the EOS 3, 30 and 50E from 20 years ago by getting eye control autofocus. Not sure I'll be putting it on Santa's list though. :film:

I'll get excited when I can buy a 10x8 digital back for the same price as a box of film...

Actually, I probably won't. Film still has a look in the print that I don't get with digital, as well as being easier to use (for me; other erroneous opinions are available :p).

Does it work with spectacle users?
If anything like the old system then is OK unless you have an enormous amount of cylinder in your prescription for astigmatism like I have in my right eye, caused by a bully throwing a stone in my eye when I was a teenager, still hoping Karma will catch up with 'Creepy Crawley', two weeks in hospital with my head sandbagged while the detached retina fixed itself but the eyeball never got back to the right shape

I'll get excited when I can buy a 10x8 digital back for the same price as a box of film...

Actually, I probably won't. Film still has a look in the print that I don't get with digital, as well as being easier to use (for me; other erroneous opinions are available :p).
Perhaps not the same price as a box of film :) but ...
View: https://youtu.be/j-FHbHoiwNk?t=153

caused by a bully
I've always felt that there's nothing wrong with bullies that couldn't be cured by the careful use of a piece of 2x2 timber :bat:

The EOS 5 and EOS 50 versions do. It is important to do the training part thoroughly (training the camera, not you).
I found that the Eos 5 would forget its training, typically after every four or five films, so I had to go through it all again. I never got to the bottom of it. :thinking:

CanonEos5copy.JPG

I found that the Eos 5 would forget its training, typically after every four or five films, so I had to go through it all again. I never got to the bottom of it. :thinking:

View attachment 336970
Would be hard to train an EOS 5, does not have eye control, that came on the EOS 3 that replaced it and then on the cheaper 30 and the 50E (not the plain 50). Camera numbers get hard to follow.

I stand corrected. Neither of my EOS 5 s came with a manual and I'm so used to Canon controls I did not bother downloading one until 5 mins ago. Just spotted CAL on the control dial. Will calibrate in daylight for good eye and the other one, it may be simpler with only 5 points to choose from rather than the 45 on my EOS 3 :asshat:

Would be hard to train an EOS 5, does not have eye control, that came on the EOS 3 that replaced it and then on the cheaper 30 and the 50E (not the plain 50). Camera numbers get hard to follow.
My EOS 5 certainly has eye controlled focus!

it may be simpler with only 5 points
That's why, having tried it once for fun, I didn't bother with it. It's not difficult to choose one of five and I tend to focus and recompose anyway, also I like to check the edges of the frame before pushing the button

Interesting to read in this week's Amateur Photographer that the latest R3 Canon has caught up with the EOS 3, 30 and 50E from 20 years ago by getting eye control autofocus.

Does anybody remember why Nikon never quite got round to implementing something similar back in the day? Technical challenge or was it perceived as a gimmick or something else?

Does anybody remember why Nikon never quite got round to implementing something similar back in the day? Technical challenge or was it perceived as a gimmick or something else?
I believe Canon invented and patented the system, so Nikon probably couldn't feature it on their cameras. I really like ECF and I'm glad they've brought it back, I really miss not having it when I switch back to my DSLR after using my EOS-3 or EOS 30 film cameras. However, laying out just under £6K for an EOS 3R isn't high on my list of priorities unless I win the Euro-Millions rollover this week!

Back