Digital Medium Format Thread

A classic Marque by Trevor, on Flickr

Just a Church by Trevor, on Flickr

I shot this to compare with the Sony 35GM This is on the GFX100
with the 45mm f2.8
Pub veranda decoration by Trevor, on Flickr

Fake News because it's powered by a 750cc Honda by Trevor, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. Some lovely examples there and has some pop despite being 'only' f/2.8. I do love the GFX for this, although I have the 50sII as opposed to your 100. Do you like the 45mm in general? I will definitely get my hands on a 55mm eventually as I have been waiting on it a while but as I say, for the price I couldn't turn this 45mm down.

Is anyone here using the GF45m and cares to share some examples please?

I sold my 63mm ready to pick up the new 55mm but got offered a 45mm at too good a price to turn down so I will shoot it over winter and hopefully pick up the 55mm in the new year.

I use the GF45mm a lot, but not a lot wide open.

Dolný Kubín Railway Bridge by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Neist Point by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Take These Chains - Dinorwic by David Yeoman, on Flickr

a few more here!

Thanks for sharing. Some lovely examples there and has some pop despite being 'only' f/2.8. I do love the GFX for this, although I have the 50sII as opposed to your 100. Do you like the 45mm in general? I will definitely get my hands on a 55mm eventually as I have been waiting on it a while but as I say, for the price I couldn't turn this 45mm down.
Thanks. Currently don’t have Medium Format. The 45 is a very good lens. As David @Mr Perceptive knows. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I do like the look of that GF 55 though.

ome lovely examples there and has some pop despite being 'only' f/2.8. I do love the GFX for this, although I have the 50sII as opposed to your 100. Do you like the 45mm in general? I wil

I use the GF45mm a lot, but not a lot wide open.

Dolný Kubín Railway Bridge by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Neist Point by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Take These Chains - Dinorwic by David Yeoman, on Flickr

a few more here!

Thank you. Those look lovely! However, see below.
Thanks. Currently don’t have Medium Format. The 45 is a very good lens. As David @Mr Perceptive knows. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. I do like the look of that GF 55 though.

Thank you. In a turn of events, LCE rang just now saying they had literally just unboxed a 55mm so I have cancelled my 45mm order and the 55mm should be arriving tomorrow. It's a lens I have been waiting for for a while and should compliment the 110mm nicely.

Thank you. Those look lovely! However, see below.

Thank you. In a turn of events, LCE rang just now saying they had literally just unboxed a 55mm so I have cancelled my 45mm order and the 55mm should be arriving tomorrow. It's a lens I have been waiting for for a while and should compliment the 110mm nicely.

Please post some images from it when you use it. @trevorbray needs a little nudge to get back with a proper camera instead of those postage stamp sensors he's been using of late :ROFLMAO:

New Fuji GFX 100/2 in the shops. Also recently announced lenses.
Good thing I don’t have any disposable wedge.

55mm f/1.7 is due for delivery today. Hope to get out this weekend and get a few quick frames with it. Feel a bit sick at having spent that sort of money, the most I have ever spent on a lens and I think the only I have ever purchased at launch.

Hopefully the images will make you forget about the ££££

Is it worth investing in Medium Format gear to only post on here where the image is reduced to 1024 pix long side?

Where possible, I usually click on the image and zoom in so it's 3000+ pixels on the long side which is lovely on the super widescreen monitor. Even better when the full resolution is posted and I can pixel peep away!

Is it worth investing in Medium Format gear to only post on here where the image is reduced to 1024 pix long side?
Difficult to show an A2 print on here :)

It isn’t all about the resolution and detail though, MF images have other qualities mainly tonality and depth - but yes the differences are often not shown in low resolution samples.

And equally your statement applies to M43/APSC and FF !!!

Last edited:
Difficult to show an A2 print on here :)

It isn’t all about the resolution and detail though, MF images have other qualities mainly tonality and depth - but yes the differences are often not shown in low resolution samples.

And equally your statement applies to M43/APSC and FF !!!

I can concur that there's more to it that resolution. I was genuinely surprised at the depth, falloff and colour gradations. The images coming from the 50sII are really, really nice.

I am very tempted by the Hasselblad X2D but never spent so much on a camera and lens. Xmas is approaching though.

I am very tempted by the Hasselblad X2D but never spent so much on a camera and lens. Xmas is approaching though.

MF digital is always going to be spendy, even s/h can be the price of a decent s/h hatchback!!! The sensors are the same across the Fuji and Hasselblad ranges, so the IQ is basically the same, so it comes down to handling and lens options.

I’ve done it on the ‘cheap’, well for MF anyway, my kit has been either refurbished (Fuji Store) or bought when lenses were on promotion, and my body (original 50S) and 4 lenses cost less than an X2D 100C body, but I can’t deny that the X2D looks a lovely camera!

Digital MF sucks you in, once you’ve seen the images there is no going back, though limited lens options (and cost) mean that it’s not the system for everyone. You look at an FF image, you look into one taken with MF.

OK lets try again.
This is Dahlia taken after the rain, I am currently experimenting with off centre flash and B&W conversion. Its all a bit of a trial and error, hope it looks sharp on here, does over here :)

Dahlia B&W Conver.jpg

OK lets try again.
This is Dahlia taken after the rain, I am currently experimenting with off centre flash and B&W conversion. Its all a bit of a trial and error, hope it looks sharp on here, does over here :)
Great image but it doesn't look that sharp when displayed on here at low resolution.

Great image but it doesn't look that sharp when displayed on here at low resolution.

HMMMMMMM! well I don't know what the answer is it looks OK on my 5k monitor and it looks OK on this crappy works laptop screen.

I have a 5K monitor as well, its the site software I am afraid. images are reduced to 1024 pix long edge.
As I said the image itself is great.

I haven't managed to use the new 55mm on anything particularly noteworthy yet, just out on a local walk but it's very good, particularly for the style of photography I do (slower).

The AF isn't as quick as the 110 but that was to be expected.

Hope to put it to some proper use soon. The only downside as a walkaround is it's pretty big, but that was to be expected given the sensor size and what they're actually achieving (fast, standard FL with good AF).

Well its nearly Christmas:)
Took the plunge and got the X2D plus a used XCD 45P lens.
They arrived today and I couldn't wait to get out and give it a go. The weather was very overcast, not good for taking pics, but eh oh. Here are a couple of shots taken before the rain started. Got to say the camera oozes quality in its look and feel. This combo's weight is lighter than my Olympus OM1 and it is certainly portable.

Got a lot to learn.

These are both crops.

Grazing.jpg

Wavy-Seat.jpg

View from front door tonight.

The site really restricts what you can see, but eh oh.

View-from-front-door.jpg

Last edited:
e-infinity have the GFX100/2. Saving over a grand.

Back