Digital Medium Format Thread

I'm cured!!! (I've got GAS back!) I actually bought a lens (well an assembly of parts from @skysh4rk :)) that allows mounting of a Projection Lens onto a GFX - The lens in question is an ISCO (Cinelux) 125mm Ultra MC designed for 35/70mm projection, fixed aperture at F2 - so one that will appeal to @trevorbray[/B] :ROFLMAO:

A couple of quick test shots in the garden

Projection Lens Test-1 by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Projection Lens Test-2 by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Anything appeals to Trev, what's that saying, a crack in a plate or something ? Camera gear is his plate :ROFLMAO:

As for you, it's no good telling yourself that a new toy for the GFX is an adequate substitute for opening the purse and acquiring something from Wetzlar :exit:

Anything appeals to Trev, what's that saying, a crack in a plate or something ? Camera gear is his plate :ROFLMAO:

As for you, it's no good telling yourself that a new toy for the GFX is an adequate substitute for opening the purse and acquiring something from Wetzlar :exit:
We can’t all be happy with postage stamp sized sensors ……… :ROFLMAO:

I've seen some lovely work from the Mitakon, as I already own the GF63mm, I'm going to wait until the GF55mm F1.7 is released before making any decisions, one though is to replace teh GF45mm and GF63mm with the GF55mm - but getting rid of two lens to buy one more doesn't seem logical!

I recently bought the 63mm, which was initially intended to replace the Mitakon, but have discovered I ultimately prefer the Mitakon (in use and in the look of the f/1.4), which reminds me of my Pentax 6x7 105mm f/2.4 on 6x7 film. While the image quality from the Fujinon lenses is great, I think I might stick to third-party manual primes going forward, as they better suit my style (in how I like to shoot and the images I like to take).

Another Canon FD lens test - this time the FD35mm F2.8, this makes a nice little compact choice (gives 28mm equivalent FF focal length) and does cover the whoel sensor, goes soft in the corners though and has nowhere near the sharpness of a Fuji GF lens across the frame, does have the typical CAnon FD colour rendering though. Image is uncropped

vkm2Ntgh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing @dancook - amazing seeing the tonal range in these images

In processing there were some shots that I decided the highlights where the sun hit unwanted areas were just too much, I used a reduce highlight brush and it was like magic how it just levelled it out without degradation of image.

In processing there were some shots that I decided the highlights where the sun hit unwanted areas were just too much, I used a reduce highlight brush and it was like magic how it just levelled it out without degradation of image.
Hearing about the X2D files is dangerous! The X1 has similar characteristics, amazing cameras, albeit horrendously awkward to use :D

It's such a shame, because when it gets it right, wow, it's spot on:

(You can probably tell, my buddy is a big Jeep guy, so we went exploring and up Pikes Peak and did a number of shoots along the way :) )

Colorado-2023 by Hawaii Photos, on Flickr

Morning all,

A bit of sad news.... looks like X1D needs repair and it'll likely be hugely expensive. It's under warranty from MPB so fingers crossed, but I'm out in Colorado at the moment and it lunched a huge number of images, a small sample below:

Hasselblad-fault by Hawaii Photos, on Flickr

Me too - they've been good in my previous dealings , but this looks like sensor replacement territory

Not sure that this is sensor related, as the sensor only reads raw monochrome data - this then has the Bayer algorithm applied to it to de-mosaic and turn into a colour image. To me it looks more like a memory problem - expecially as the corruption is in bands. It may be on teh same board as the sensor anyway, so will probably be a board(s) replacement.

Hope you get it sorted promptly.

Not sure that this is sensor related, as the sensor only reads raw monochrome data - this then has the Bayer algorithm applied to it to de-mosaic and turn into a colour image. To me it looks more like a memory problem - expecially as the corruption is in bands. It may be on teh same board as the sensor anyway, so will probably be a board(s) replacement.

Hope you get it sorted promptly.
Thank you - I agree with your preliminary diagnosis. It looks similar to a gpu failure on a PC. I've checked and the issue is present in both memory cards (I run a back up)

@gman gosh thank you - very kind of you to have a go. I'm fortunate I was using another system and managed to double up on some of these images.... I'm a little heart broken as for portraits the output of this camera is sublime.

MPB have already got back to me - the camera needs repair and I need to send this back and exchange for another product... such a shame, no x1d's in stock atm - I need to have a think about whether I'm going to continue to preserve with MF. This camera especially, is a pain to use and doesn't fit with my other work - sports / action.

Still- thank you all for the welcoming space for digital MF on this forum, always a pleasure to feel your support :)

@gman gosh thank you - very kind of you to have a go. I'm fortunate I was using another system and managed to double up on some of these images.... I'm a little heart broken as for portraits the output of this camera is sublime.

MPB have already got back to me - the camera needs repair and I need to send this back and exchange for another product... such a shame, no x1d's in stock atm - I need to have a think about whether I'm going to continue to preserve with MF. This camera especially, is a pain to use and doesn't fit with my other work - sports / action.

Still- thank you all for the welcoming space for digital MF on this forum, always a pleasure to feel your support :)
Can’t you return it and insist on a repair ?

Can’t you return it and insist on a repair ?
I'll need to check the wording of the used warranty with MPB - but an exchange of equivalent is a fair outcome, given the potentially huge expense of a repair for this camera. I'm not overly bothered, glad I purchased through a retailer with some recourse... however I am wary that if this were to happen outside of warranty I believe the most cost effective solution is to buy a new camera.

I'm traveling atm, it's a shame, but got lots of other things to keep me occupied than worrying / arguing over warranty terms etc.

However this thread is the MF thread and not a MPB warranty thread - so I'll leave it for another thread if necessary.

Yes I am going to "one day" get a MF Digital, I am just to undecisive. :)

However, a question if I may.

Phase One backs.

The early ones are now not so expensive and was curious to see what their RAW files were like, so I found a couple from, I think one from a 100Mb backs so download a couple of them.
I use Affinity Photo V1 and while their RAW converter is OK I realise that it is not the best but even so.

I loaded the Phase RAW file in and was really surprised that the image files were massively Cyan/Magenta saturated, so much so that I had real difficulty in correcting them, in fact I gave up after a while.

So question is, is the only way to process Phase files is to use their own Capture One software?

As a counter to the above I also found and download some Hasselblad H4D-50 and Fujifilm GFX 50 RAW files and Affinity handled them fine.

Yes I am going to "one day" get a MF Digital, I am just to undecisive. :)

However, a question if I may.

Phase One backs.

The early ones are now not so expensive and was curious to see what their RAW files were like, so I found a couple from, I think one from a 100Mb backs so download a couple of them.
I use Affinity Photo V1 and while their RAW converter is OK I realise that it is not the best but even so.

I loaded the Phase RAW file in and was really surprised that the image files were massively Cyan/Magenta saturated, so much so that I had real difficulty in correcting them, in fact I gave up after a while.

So question is, is the only way to process Phase files is to use their own Capture One software?

As a counter to the above I also found and download some Hasselblad H4D-50 and Fujifilm GFX 50 RAW files and Affinity handled them fine.

Phase One RAW files (.IIQ) files contain sensor calibration data that is not correctly interpreted by all RAW processors (includng Adobe) - so I suspect Capture One may be the way forward.

Obviously Phase One have a range of different generation backs, and all might not be affected to the same degree. There are some advantages to Phase One in larger sensor sizes (and some seriously high rsolutions), but IMO its not a particularly cost effective system, unless you already own a lot of compatible equipment.

Phase One RAW files (.IIQ) files contain sensor calibration data that is not correctly interpreted by all RAW processors (includng Adobe) - so I suspect Capture One may be the way forward.

Obviously Phase One have a range of different generation backs, and all might not be affected to the same degree. There are some advantages to Phase One in larger sensor sizes (and some seriously high rsolutions), but IMO its not a particularly cost effective system, unless you already own a lot of compatible equipment.

Thanks for that, after I asked the question I did some more Googletastic and came across a chap, this is when they were new, reviewing a Phase P65+ back and his colourist was surprised about how poor the images were when they first went into Capture One, as I found, big shift towards the cyan/magenta colours, the mages did look nice after he had finished processing them.

And as I am a skinflint, I don't fancy buying a used Phase back then have to fork out for a Capture One licence.

Back to the drawing board and Hasselblad, Leica, Fujifilm :LOL:

Thanks for that, after I asked the question I did some more Googletastic and came across a chap, this is when they were new, reviewing a Phase P65+ back and his colourist was surprised about how poor the images were when they first went into Capture One, as I found, big shift towards the cyan/magenta colours, the mages did look nice after he had finished processing them.

And as I am a skinflint, I don't fancy buying a used Phase back then have to fork out for a Capture One licence.

Back to the drawing board and Hasselblad, Leica, Fujifilm :LOL:

Its not uncommon for Dalsa sensors to be a finicky, maybe they build them in a different way, but I use a lot of their cameras for work, and we often have to calibrate sensors (flat field correction) to get even brightness across the sensor, this is particually true of long linescan (sensors 1 pixel high, that are used to capture images of moving objects) sensors, maybe their fabrication effectively builds them in blocks, as often these sensors are multi-tap - ie sections of the sensor are read concurrently to give better line rates from the sensor.

CCD sensors in particual (and early CMOS) are much more sensitive at the Red end of the spectrum, so maybe the Phase One Bayer algorithm just boosts too much at the blue end of he spectrum in order to compensate. Green has to work less hard as Bayer filters have twice as many green sensitive sites as any other colour.

Last edited:
GFX 100 II £6,999 (available late September)

GF55mm F1.7 £2,249 (available late September)
GF30mm F5.6 Tilt Shift £3,899 (available October)
GF110mm F5.6 Tilt Shift £3,499 (available November)

Next Year

GF500mm F5.6

Back