Digital SLR Photography Magazine VS Practical Photography Magazine

I read both and find them both pretty good although both very similar.

They usually have offers every few months for "mini subscriptions" like 3 issues for £3 and the like.

I've been into photography for a year now and still find both mags informative although they do repeat a lot stuff so it depends how advanced you are as to whether you will benefit from them.

If I had to pick one though I'd prob go for Digital SLR Photography.

I had a similar "dilemma" last year. My wife got me mini subscriptions to both and offered to continue the subscription for the year on one of them.

I preferred Practical Photography. At the time, there was something about Digital SLR Photography that didn't work for me. The articles seemed longer but somehow still didn't seem to give as much information.

As already mentioned, they're pretty similar and seem to cover the same stuff in slightly different ways. I guess it probably comes down to personal preference.

I normally pick them up randomly in the shops. If there's an article I like, I pick it up that month. If not, I don't. Personally, I've really enjoyed Digital SLR Photography more than Practical Photography. Better articles, easy to follow "how-to"'s make it simple to learn from, whereas practical photography always seems to be very amateurish (talking editing, the way its laid out, written, etc.) to me..

AllFallD0wn said:
I normally pick them up randomly in the shops. If there's an article I like, I pick it up that month. If not, I don't. Personally, I've really enjoyed Digital SLR Photography more than Practical Photography. Better articles, easy to follow "how-to"'s make it simple to learn from, whereas practical photography always seems to be very amateurish (talking editing, the way its laid out, written, etc.) to me..

I'd totally agree with that, digital SLR photography seems to be more in depth, practical photography articles seem very sparse.

Having said that all photo mags repeat themselves and I often question why I buy them at all, you know that there will be issues dedicated to the following, shooting in RAW, black and white, landscapes, portrait, etc

Having said that all photo mags repeat themselves and I often question why I buy them at all, you know that there will be issues dedicated to the following, shooting in RAW, black and white, landscapes, portrait, etc

I often think that at times, because a lot of the time, the exact same articles (or pretty much) are available online for free. There is something nice about the way they put the magazines and articles together, and things like that.

I pick magazines up when they look like they have some interesting things in, that I can learn from, which means every other month, most of the time? Also, Digital SLR Photography's Bookazine for "Landscape Photography" is excellent. I highly recommend it.

+1 for Digital SLR Photography, I was subscribed to this one last year but the present didn't get renewed :( . Back to flicking through them during the weekly shop and picking the most interesting. I don't think you will go wrong whichever you choose though.

Digital SLR Photography Magazine or Practical Photography Magazine?

There's only one way to find out:

Harry-Hill-Fight-AP-WDC5.jpg

I get digital photographer, I've just got my son a subscription to practical photographer. He likes that mag, I prefer mine as it has useful tutorials, a good mix of articles from pro's and decent amateurs etc.

I subscribe to Digital SLR Photography Magazine and have done for over a year now- it has some good Photoshop tips in every month too

Les (y)

ok thanks, maybe best to go to a shop and have a flick through both then !

Thanks
Alex

Best choice Alex - see which you prefer.

I get the Digital SLR mag on occasions - sometimes do the 5 issues for £5 - I had a good luck at these 2 and a couple others, preferred the Digital SLR magazine layout and read.

I find that the digital SLR magazine has more PP guides and concentrates on the digital part quite a bit. Whereas practical photography deals with getting pictures right for both digital and film photographers.

I prefer practical photographer but that's just me. Having said that I haven't bought either for about 6 months as I find they repeat the cycle about every 12 to 18 months.

You could buy one month of each an then have a read, although might seem a waste of cash of you are going to subscribe anyway.

Dan

Digital SLR Photography Magazine and Practical Photography Magazine are the ones I buy most often, and are the one's I've settled on as suiting me most. Digital SLR Photography having a bit more in it each month imho.

I've bought nearly all of them over the years, and there are many to choose from, :eek: but the best advice is to go and have a look at them to see which suits.

As usual I have to be the one to buck the trend:shake:

I have bought most of the photo mags available at some time including Digital SLR - for a long while it was just Practical Photography and DSLR User.

Eventually I tired of DSLR User with the reptitive aticles and constant -'beginners tips' sections.
I dropped their forum as well due to what I percieved to be gear collectors who looked down their noses, and the clique mentality.........hmmmmmm:thinking:

Have to say I now buy Professional Photographer if I'm going to buy a mag to read(y)

Out of those two I prefer Digital SLR Photography. In fact, I have just cancelled my PP subscription and taken out (another) £5 for 5 issues of DSLR. I don't really like paying full price but where there's an offer I will try any tog magazine.

It depends on what you like to photograph, but for me I love Outdoor Photography. I subscribe to it using Tesco clubcard vouchers.

The best of the two would be Digital SLR Photography IMO. I always found Practical Photography a bit lightweight and simplistic for my tastes.

These days though I tend not to buy the British publications unless there's an article specific to my interest as I find the German publications go way deeper in terms of the technical and technique side of things - obsessive lot they are ;). Not that that's much help to the OP though.

Back