Dinorwic Quarry, North Wales

Name
David Williams
Edit My Images
No
Evening everyone.

Leaving it a bit late as normal to ask for advice but I am off to North Wales with the family on Saturday for a week.

Last year (in oppressive heat ) I managed to drag my two sons up as far as the Anglesey Barracks but want to explore further this time.

I fancy parking at the bus turn round area at the top of the Quarry and walking down, but I saw an old post on here about a council plan to double yellow line the area??

And I assume this is a very popular parking place in August, does it get "full up" early in the day??

David

I found this on Google earth, it looks like there’s parking , but I don’t know how recent this is, there’s no sign of double yellow lines, but there could be now

and read this https://thirdeyetraveller.com/dinorwic-quarry-wales/ this is from July 2023 so it’s recent

Attachments

• IMG_2023-07-28-231603.png
    IMG_2023-07-28-231603.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 5
The bus stop loop still has parking available, the double yellow line scheme was a proposal. It does get busy in the summer months (lots of climbers) especially at weekends. Its an easy walk in to the middle of the quarry from there. The footpath down to teh Anglesey Barracks from there is quite steep (can be slippy in the wet if you have the wrong footwear).

The more interesting quarry is actually up from that point (but not on way-marked footpaths ;) ) - but it helps if you know where you are going, and not knowing the ages of your sons isn't something I'm going to recommend.

If you want a simple quarry walk, then I would suggest Cwmorthin/Rhosydd, you can park at the bottom, walk up a footpath/track into Cwmorthin, pass through Cwmorthin on the flat (about a mile) and then a short (steep) footpath into Rhosydd - I would suggest that these are 'more' interesting and more family orientated than going to theh Anglesey Barracks (again). Parking can get busy at the base of the path into Cwmorthin, but there is a large free public car park just along from the Cafe at Tanygrisiau

Last edited:
The double yellow line proposal at the bus turnaround (by the Local Authority) was eventually scrapped, so no double yellows for the foreseeable future hopefully.

Back