Diploma in Professional Photography (DiPP) - inst.org

How is everyone getting on with this? I must admit that I've been slacking recently, I haven't submitted anything since June!

Need to get my butt in gear and get going again. I'm on the landscape module but it's not an area I'm very interested in which doesn't help lol! :)

June !!!I havent submitted anything in the last two years, I found my photography was progressing better without having to worry about assignments for a certificate that means not much at the end of it!

June !!!I havent submitted anything in the last two years, I found my photography was progressing better without having to worry about assignments for a certificate that means not much at the end of it!

Curious as to why you just didn't complete it since going by your flickr sets you were at module 23? Seems a shame to stop after getting that far.

Yes, the qualification may not mean much but for me the whole point is to add some structure to improving my work as I'm normally useless at sticking with one subject/aspect and jump all over the place. Sense of achivement is what I'm ultimately aiming for from this course.:)

I've just started and planning to do first module tomorrow.. Shooting my mechanic for the morning

Curious as to why you just didn't complete it since going by your flickr sets you were at module 23? Seems a shame to stop after getting that far.

Yes, the qualification may not mean much but for me the whole point is to add some structure to improving my work as I'm normally useless at sticking with one subject/aspect and jump all over the place. Sense of achivement is what I'm ultimately aiming for from this course.:)

That's the reason I'm doing it as well! (y)

I'm interested in doing this in the future I have a question and it may be a stupid one but here goes what happens if you fail a assignmnet can you re do it?

I'm interested in doing this in the future I have a question and it may be a stupid one but here goes what happens if you fail a assignmnet can you re do it?

Yes. You have to maintain a 'C' or better average to gain the Diploma (average A's - Distinction, B's - Merit, C's - Pass Grade) and any assignment that you score below a 'C' on you are allowed to do again.(y)

Well progress update.
After labouring on the tourism module, the next two modules have been much easier (for me), not a landscaper but enjoyed it and good marks and feedback. Another positive is that I have had several images published in the "Mail online" last week, I am not saying this is directly due to the course, but some of the techniques I have picked up certainly have helped.
Anyone completed the editing module, if so any pointers on what is required.
regards
Steve

Good work Steve. Out of curiosity how did you get on the Mail online ?

Good work Steve. Out of curiosity how did you get on the Mail online ?

I posted some Puffin images on a forum that linked to my Flickr account. A media company spotted them, contract signed and they marketed them. The Mail online did an article on them.

Steve

I posted some Puffin images on a forum that linked to my Flickr account. A media company spotted them, contract signed and they marketed them. The Mail online did an article on them.

Steve

Wow that's really good.

This looks to be a great course, i may even sign up in the next few days. Need that kick to get me out with the camera over the winter so this would work great.

Just a few questions for those who don't mind.
With modules like the school and fashion ones, are you expected to get shots from those sort of locations? I dont really have the time nor maybe confidence to be shooting stuff like that or is there the option for more theoretical approaches for certain assignments.

For ones like the wedding modules i don't want to be taking on a wedding nor do i think my friends would be up for dressing up for a fake one but i did shoot my sister in laws wedding last year (before anyone complains it was a case of me take photos or no tog at all) with results i and her were more than happy with can you include photos from previous things like this rather than having to try and find another similar situation?

not a landscaper but enjoyed it and good marks and feedback.

Question for you Steve,
I'm at the planning point for Module 9 and will be shooting this when I get home this trip. I've read the brief a couple of times and can't figure out if it's 3 different versions of the same landscape they want or 3 different landscapes?:thinking: Did you do different areas or the same area from different perspectives?

With modules like the school and fashion ones, are you expected to get shots from those sort of locations? I dont really have the time nor maybe confidence to be shooting stuff like that or is there the option for more theoretical approaches for certain assignments.

I just had a quick look at the assignments and the basic requirements are;

Fashion assignment: Friend or family member to pose for you in different outfits.
School: There is no assignment attached to this module.

As for the wedding module, your subjects don't need to dress up for this assignment, it's all about the poses and locations. I don't know if your allowed to use images you shot before though, sorry.

Question for you Steve,
I'm at the planning point for Module 9 and will be shooting this when I get home this trip. I've read the brief a couple of times and can't figure out if it's 3 different versions of the same landscape they want or 3 different landscapes?:thinking: Did you do different areas or the same area from different perspectives?

Hi Gary

I shot the same location, but from three different prespectives, i.e Sunrise, focal length, viewpoint.

Will pm you the link to my shots, so you can see what I mean.

regards
Steve

I just had a quick look at the assignments and the basic requirements are;

Fashion assignment: Friend or family member to pose for you in different outfits.
School: There is no assignment attached to this module.

As for the wedding module, your subjects don't need to dress up for this assignment, it's all about the poses and locations. I don't know if your allowed to use images you shot before though, sorry.

Thanks Gary. They've got a few scrubbed courses left so think I might have a go and sign up.

Suppose it depends on the distance etc between your locations and the scenes your capturing. Mine were all within around a 30km radius and I made a plan as to what times of day I wanted to be in the different areas to catch the right amounts of people and activites. Started at about 9am and got home just after 4pm in the afternoon. Then spent the rest of the day pouring over them trying to decide which ones to use. :LOL:

I think I got to looking at it the wrong way to start with, like "big" landmarks etc, but then it dawned on me local tourism can be anything from a local pub renowned for its awesome ales and Ploughman's lunch to literally Buckingham Palace (depending on where you live of course). Once I stopped thinking about national landmarks that might be near me it became a doddle. On a local level there is almost too much to choose from.

Steve

I'd be so chuffed with that, nice one!!

Ben6:

Lots of people are worried about this one, good thing is its only a mock up and you only have to photograph a pair of people in wedding style poses, doesn’t have to be at a church or in suit and dress. I'd think a church or similar location would help set the scene could be beneficial to the photos taken, you're not marked on the location or costumes thankfully :D
Once you enrol ask your tutor, they may allow a one off use of photos taken prior to starting the course.

Great to see some more folks on this course too.

I'm STILL on the Tourism Assignment, need to finish up some editing tonight and a bit of writing up and should be ready to submit. Looking forward to the next modules a lot more than these last ones if I'm honest, all good though.

Last edited:
One last question before I hit the buy button.
From the reading up on the course that I've done. It seems very much directed to setting up your own photography business at the end of it. While it is something i would of course love to do its most probably not going to happen. How much of the final part of the course is directed to designing and setting up your own business?

One last question before I hit the buy button.
From the reading up on the course that I've done. It seems very much directed to setting up your own photography business at the end of it. While it is something i would of course love to do its most probably not going to happen. How much of the final part of the course is directed to designing and setting up your own business?

The last three modules are soley business being: Business, Marketing & Employment. That said the whole course is structured towards giving you the info and some basic experience (by completing the assignemnts) you'd need to be able to offer your skills as a photographer, success is subjective of course :)

I didnt sign up for the course with the expectation that it will make me a pro, I did for the value and to learn more about my hobby, I wouldnt say its really opening any doors for me (though it will for other people in other situations with other motivations) but it is putting me in to situations where I wouldnt normally venture which is very good and I'm learning new things.

The last three modules are soley business being: Business, Marketing & Employment. That said the whole course is structured towards giving you the info and some basic experience (by completing the assignemnts) you'd need to be able to offer your skills as a photographer, success is subjective of course :) I didnt sign up for the course with the expectation that it will make me a pro, I did for the value and to learn more about my hobby, I wouldnt say its really opening any doors for me (though it will for other people in other situations with other motivations) but it is putting me in to situations where I wouldnt normally venture which is very good and I'm learning new things.

It sounds pretty much what I'm after then. So have you actually made your own website as a part of this course then and been expected to promote your self and your services?

You aren't required to as part of the course. I have made one purely so that if someone asks they can see. The course doesn't require you to actually doing anything business wise, so you dont have to actually go out looking for work etc, it purely gives you the info and assignments to support you in getting to the point where you could start looking for work. If that makes sense?

Has any-one on this course asked to see if being a student of this particular course qualifies for student discount on software?

I finished this course a couple of years ago and yes, it does get you student rates on software.

I owe this course a lot for where I am today. Well worth it, the more you put in to it, the more you will get out. To put the course into perspective, I earned the cost of the course back before I finished it..

You aren't required to as part of the course. I have made one purely so that if someone asks they can see. The course doesn't require you to actually doing anything business wise, so you dont have to actually go out looking for work etc, it purely gives you the info and assignments to support you in getting to the point where you could start looking for work. If that makes sense?

Yeah that makes complete sense and it's just what I wanted to hear, gives you the exact tools and knowledge how to set up a business if you wanted to but doesn't push you into doing so just for the sake of completing the course.
I have no intentions if quitting the day job to become a pro any time in the near future but it's still good to know the course will have set me up well if i do change my mind.

I owe this course a lot for where I am today. Well worth it, the more you put in to it, the more you will get out. To put the course into perspective, I earned the cost of the course back before I finished it..

You're a great advert for the course ;) haha.
Out of interest do you mind me asking what area of photography you were able to pay back the course with? It sounds like it covers a lot of ares quite well and allows you to see where your strengths lie and what you enjoy most.

You're a great advert for the course ;) haha.
Out of interest do you mind me asking what area of photography you were able to pay back the course with? It sounds like it covers a lot of ares quite well and allows you to see where your strengths lie and what you enjoy most.

I did my first wedding not long after I completed the wedding module. I got hold of a couple to model, took the images and submitted them. The female model (I gave her the images) plastered them on Facebook (with my permission) and I received three wedding bookings on the back of it.

However, I do enjoy land and seascapes mostly. .

I did my first wedding not long after I completed the wedding module. I got hold of a couple to model, took the images and submitted them. The female model (I gave her the images) plastered them on Facebook (with my permission) and I received three wedding bookings on the back of it.

Nice one ... Honestly dont think I've got the balls to do weddings, should perhaps look at people skills courses lol

Not only does this forum give me ideas for new equipment to be buying its just made me pay out for this course too!
I blame it all on tp! Thats what I'm telling the mrs anyway.

That's good to hear, am currently working on the portrait & tourism modules. Need to get my backside in gear and actually submit them though! :bonk:

What did people use for the subject in Module 5? I was thinking of using my iphone as the subject.

Well I've just taken the plunge and signed up after lots of thinking and delaying:)
Looking for a career change in the future so hopefully this will push me in the right direction.

Well I've just taken the plunge and signed up after lots of thinking and delaying:)
Looking for a career change in the future so hopefully this will push me in the right direction.

I signed up yesterday so depending on what sort of pace you take we'll be doing our assignments at the same rate. Would be good to know someone starting at same time as me.

I signed up yesterday so depending on what sort of pace you take we'll be doing our assignments at the same rate. Would be good to know someone starting at same time as me.

Sure you will both be fine, look forward to hearing of your progress.

Steve

Sure you will both be fine, look forward to hearing of your progress. Steve
Thanks Steve. Looks to be a good course. Ive had a flick through the online site but I've got the hard copies coming in the post so think i'll read the first two modules from that. Then onto the first assessment!

To the people that ordered the hard copies too; how long did they take to arrive? I had a email asking to double check a few postage details earlier but not been notified if its been dispatched at all.

Thanks Steve. Looks to be a good course. Ive had a flick through the online site but I've got the hard copies coming in the post so think i'll read the first two modules from that. Then onto the first assessment!

To the people that ordered the hard copies too; how long did they take to arrive? I had a email asking to double check a few postage details earlier but not been notified if its been dispatched at all.

Ben,

I think mine were delivered in 48 hours if I remember rightly,

Steve

Can i please ask a question guys?

Like so many on this thread im on the verge of signing up for this course.

I am using a grant of sorts to assist payment for the course and as would be expected have to fill out several forms.

Obviously one of the questions is the cost of the course. Now I can see on the website that for the printed + online option the fees are £573.00, however i have also seen several posts on here refering to "scrubbed editions". My thoughts are that these are courses that have been used before but are in good knick? Does this bring the cost down slightly? Without signing up I can see no fees for scrubbed editions.

I am not wanting to register for my grant, which i need to do 4 weeks before i commence the course, only to find out that i have claimed for the wrong amount ( i would go for a reduced price option if it were available as I would still have to pay a certain percentage myself.

If anyone can shed light on this for me i would be most grateful.

Derek

Derek,

I went down the scrubbed version.

The books, material are not used or damaged. The box etc all perfect. I think it is a marketing thing to help sales when business is slow.

Steve

Thank you Steve

And so was there a cost difference?

Far far cheaper way is to practice and yet again practice and ask for a critique on here.

I could write my own diploma and print it on posh paper and display it, 90% of people would not even bother to check it out.

The real proof is in what you present to a customer not a piece of paper stuck in a frame.

My advice is save your money

Back