Diploma in Professional Photography (DiPP) - inst.org

Can any of you recommend what I will need before I start? I have a Canon 1100d which came with a 18-55mm lens I think. I have nothing else as I am a complete beginner.​
You should be fine with that kit for the first few assignments at least. I think it's more about how you use the kit you have rather than getting pro results with pro kit:)

Your Canon is more than sufficient Chris. Any camera with which you can maintain control of the individual settings will do.

The course is very much geared at having you abide by the module assesments, with no emphasis put on what equipment you must use. I have used off camera flash, reflectors and studio lights, as well as some different lenses but that is purely because I had them. I could have just as easily used a 18-55mm and lit naturally ( with a bit of careful thinking) and got images suitable for submission.

Hope this helps.

Derek

Many thanks for your advice Derek.
As a complete beginner I will get to grips with what I have for now.
I may add another lens to my collection before my trip to Antigua next month.
Any suggestions what would be a good additional lens?
I'd expect to be taking plenty of landscape and wildlife photography during my trip.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Im really not the man to speak to for equipment advice.

Look at the threads in the equipment section to get a better idea. If you cant find specifically what you need then ask a question remembering to state as much information as you can (what your going to use the lens for, budget, portability if travelling etc as well as camera make)

Derek

First assignment back with the standard A grade it seems. Still happy with it seeing as I left education 16+ years ago!
Onto the first photographic assignment today... I was supposed to shoot some pics of my nephew yesterday but he wasn't well so I am hoping on creating some scenes with the aid of my good lady and pet dog...

You guys have any suggestions?

I'm am currently working on the fashion module of this course. Has anyone completed this? How did you get on and do you know if this can be completed using children as the models?

Never heard of this outfit. Which academic body are they accredited by ?
The Blackford Centre - I don't think its a "proper" diploma - more of a structured learning program with a certificate at the end (if you ever get to the end)

Well Chris - just one page back and it seems Ryanyboy passed 5 years ago.

I studied this course in 2008 and passed (with merit) in January 2009. I really enjoyed it and it gave me the confidence to pursue a career as a professional photographer. I'm now approaching my 5th anniversary as a pro.

I'm also looking to do this course but for the time being I have just signed up to a facebook advertised course - lots of good independant reviews swayed me to go for it and already getting responses from the personal tutor - it's 18 modules and will decide at the end whether I will take this course too. I have the link to the scuffed courses so will see what 2015 brings...

Has anyone completed the mentioned course?

What do you get out out it once you've completed it?

reading with interest as I am thinking of enrolling. Has anyone completed the "how to market your business " module which they claim is one of the most important elemnts of a photography bussines

I also recall a money back guarantee if you have followed their marketing advice and fail to recoup the course fees

The other day I received an email from them announcing their new wedding Photography course claiming that this is one of the most lucrative areas for making money - at the same cost of the general course purchased by the OP

And mine, keep meaning to get on with it but don't have the time

Is it not a waste of time and money if you pay out for it and don't finish it though?

This is how many of these companies make their real money, by the number of students who give up after a few modules. Their money back guarantee is that firstly, you must complete the course, then market yourself as per their advice

I subscribed to their free newsletter which gives several good tips now contacted regardig their new course specifically for wedding photography implying that this is one of the most lucrative areas for making money from photography. so is the original course as good or what? Costs for the two courses seem to be about the same

Ken, the original course has a wedding photography assignment- I think it's broken down into 2 or 3 modules. I chose to do this course because it has sections on all areas of photography - portrait, landscape, wedding, etc...
In my opinion I think it is a good course. It's just a structured way of learning which some people find helpful. A lot would disagree but thats my opinion.

Great to hear about the discount - can you tell me where you actually purchased it from to get the discount once you got your nus card? (y)

A Quick update on discounted software entitlement! Looks like the DiPP course just got me 80% off PS CS6 and Lightroom 4!!!!!!

Awesome! (y)[/QUOTE]

Great to hear about the discount - can you tell me where you actually purchased it from to get the discount once you got your nus card? (y)

A Quick update on discounted software entitlement! Looks like the DiPP course just got me 80% off PS CS6 and Lightroom 4!!!!!!

Awesome! (y)
[/QUOTE]

How did you manage that mate?

Just got my pack yesterday.... Really looking forward to getting stuck in! [emoji16]

Still havent forgotten about this thread, or the course!! So much going on lately with cycling + family stuff... :wacky:

@Chris Fallon Not sure how it works now as the Adobe products have changed, when I got my PS6 and LR4 I used the www.software4students.co.uk site, but that was back in 2013 and they dont offer it anymore sadly, its all Creative Cloud, which I have no experience with
View attachment 42822

Probably be another year ish before I get back on with the course ... so many Dad jobs to get done :ROFLMAO: Christ its been two years since I finished "N" :eek: , half way there, still .....

View attachment 42823

I still keep looking up at the folders on the bookshelf - been a long time since I sent anything in - must try to revive it soon

Reactions: riu
Sounds like i'm in the same boat as you guys! I haven't touched the folders in the last few months. I've had too much going on work wise. Still, I guess that is the beauty of the course - that you can take as long as you want to complete it! ..... Someone ask me again if I've finished it in about 20 years...

Same here as everyone else. I dare say I've not even looked at mine in 12months. Weddings, my son and houses have all come first.

Is it worth doing
It depends on how motivated you are. Myself and many others seem to have ground to a halt and just about given up.
Being 100% honest, after having a go at it, I would say no, it's not worth it unless you are sure you will finish it (which is not easy with work and family life).
You can probably learn everything in the course from the likes of YouTube and Facebook in reality.

Your choice but that's my honest opinion:)

Looked at this course a while ago and decided against it. The whole thing just seemed to tacky for me, I may be wrong but that's the impession I got from the website.
As an alternative the RPS, in conjuction with the OU are running a 10 week course (Digital photography: creating and sharing better images). It's a new course and first impressions from those on it are good. I've enrolled for the course starting in October and will document my progress on the forum if that's of interest to people and it's allowed under forum rules.

Hi Brom, I have just found this forum as I'm considering a course that will help me improve my photography skills as well as give structured advice and guidance on how to turn that into a small business. Considering the Blackford course, but interested to know what the OU course is like. The next scheduled one is in October this year and I was hoping to get going on a course as soon as possible, so wondering if it is worth the wait.

Also interested in any further updates from the other guys on here who have opted for the Blackford course, but have gone into hibernation!

Back