Dipping toe into the world of mirrorless

MBP have a lot of E-M10 ii at what look like great prices compared to what comes up on eBay - around £200 for the body.
I assume you're aware of Used Lens (run by a member here)?

I've been looking at mpb and noticed they sell the E-M10 MKII for a reasonable prices, lenses also seem fairly priced as well.
Used Lens bookmarked, I didn't know about that, thanks.

Try some in a shop, you will likely find the EVF quality a huge deal with mirrorless.

I have used maybe 10+ and the EVF varied from pathetic to ok.

I still think EVF is one of mirrorless main strengths but it needs refining and no doubt will be far far better in the future.

The 1st time i used mirrorless i just thought how unnatural the EVF looked, kinda fuzzy, laggy and odd. I missed optical straight away.
I've had a play with a few in Jessops so I know what I am letting myself in for with a EVF, hopefully I'll get use to it.

I’ve used Fuji and Olympus, my preference is for the Olympus for few reasons. Firstly whilst I like the ‘idea’ of all the manual controls of Fuji I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. Secondly despite the improvement in Adobe products and more modern x-trans sensors you do still get mild artefacts. Whether you notice it, or are bothered by it will be down to the user.

Lastly Olympus lenses can be lighter and cheaper than the Fuji ones.

It's a toss up depending on what you shoot. People, no way I'd go m43, wildlife and still life definitely.

Again, for small aperture long lenses m43 definitely, fast aperture equiv primes, not so much.

It's a toss up depending on what you shoot. People, no way I'd go m43, wildlife and still life definitely.

Again, for small aperture long lenses m43 definitely, fast aperture equiv primes, not so much.
I really like the Panny-Leica 42.5mm f1.2 for portraiture tbh.

Panasonic don't seem to have been recommended for adding to the list of possibilities unless I've missed something. It may be just my perception but it seems to me that Olympus are sometimes thrown into the mix more readily than Panasonic which I find a little strange as image quality must be pretty comparable across the two brands, Olympus and Panasonic.

I have Panasonic 16mp GX80 and 20mp GX9 which are RF style cameras. Of the two I prefer the GX9 as it has more physical controls, a tilting evf and allows exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual mode. The GX80 does have its charms though as it's cheaper and I do sometimes like the underdog. I don't know anything about the mini SLR cameras but I would avoid anything linked to the shutter shock issue and that goes for both Panasonic and Olympus.

Just in case there are some good deal about I'd recommend at least adding Panasonic to the list of possibilities as Olympus is there already.

Yes but Canon are not an option for my toe dipping budget but this may change in the future.
Depending on the number of lens that you might buy and already own.
It could be cheaper to buy a Canon RP.
You of course have to double check all of the figures.

Panasonic don't seem to have been recommended for adding to the list of possibilities unless I've missed something. It may be just my perception but it seems to me that Olympus are sometimes thrown into the mix more readily than Panasonic which I find a little strange as image quality must be pretty comparable across the two brands, Olympus and Panasonic.

I have Panasonic 16mp GX80 and 20mp GX9 which are RF style cameras. Of the two I prefer the GX9 as it has more physical controls, a tilting evf and allows exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual mode. The GX80 does have its charms though as it's cheaper and I do sometimes like the underdog. I don't know anything about the mini SLR cameras but I would avoid anything linked to the shutter shock issue and that goes for both Panasonic and Olympus.

Just in case there are some good deal about I'd recommend at least adding Panasonic to the list of possibilities as Olympus is there already.
I never recommend Panny because I have no experience with them.

Depending on the number of lens that you might buy and already own.
It could be cheaper to buy a Canon RP.
You of course have to double check all of the figures.

This may be an option for the future but not at present

I've finally bitten the bullet and taken a plunge.
I've got a good deal for an Olympus E-M10 MKII with the 14-42 II R lens and a 40-150 II.
Also ordered a couple of lens hoods as well.
Thanks all for your input but special thanks @AMcUK for pointing out the exposure bracketing issue with the E-M10 MK III, you were bang on about this which a shame as the HDEW deal with twin lenses is very good price.
Every review I read said they couldn't understand why Olympus did this on the MK III.

After looking at my options I narrowed it down to either Olympus or Fujifilm for my first step into mirrorless.

After looking at my options I narrowed it down to either Olympus or Fujifilm for my first step into mirrorless.

If the decision has already been made that's fine. I just think it's a shame that Panasonic are so often sidelined in threads on here that seem to by default favour Olympus as the lenses are interchangeable with issues being few and far between and the image quality is I assume more or less identical.

If the decision has already been made that's fine. I just think it's a shame that Panasonic are so often sidelined in threads on here that seem to by default favour Olympus as the lenses are interchangeable with issues being few and far between and the image quality is I assume more or less identical.

1) ibis
2) colour
3) styling
4) auto focus

Last edited:
1) ibis
2) colour
3) styling
4) auto focus

All can be relevant but there are always specs and abilities which can vary from model to model and opinions on things like colour and styling too. My GX9 has IBIS, I shoot raw and have no issue with colours, I like the more minimalist anonymous styling of the Panasonic cameras rather than the more retro and more conscious styling of some Olympus offerings and the AF is blisteringly fast and would I guess be adequate for many people and uses.

But never mind all that and it's all irrelevant anyway if you just want an Olympus. My main reason for suggesting having a look at Panasonic was money as if looking at MFT rather than a brand there may be a good deal on a Panasonic that would do the job. That's all.

Anyway. Too late now.

if you just want an Olympus.
Indeed. While I think it would be rude to criticise someone for buying Olympus I see nothing wrong with sending a short note of condolence to them... :naughty: :coat:

Indeed. While I think it would be rude to criticise someone for buying Olympus I see nothing wrong with sending a short note of condolence to them... :naughty: :coat:

They do look nice and there is nothing wrong with wanting an Oly or a Fuji for their styling alone.

I'm not so bothered and although I prefer more anonymous looking kit that doesn't attract so much attention if I was looking for a new MFT camera and saw a good deal on an Oly I'd probably go that way as the image quality is probably going to be pretty much indistinguishable despite what others may tell me about Oly colours. Assuming the handling is ok too.

They do look nice and there is nothing wrong with wanting an Oly or a Fuji for their styling alone.

For me the style of the camera is not important, I don't do retro but I understand why the likes of Fujifilm and Olympus do this.
As I said previously, if Canons first few attempts at mirrorless wasn't dire when it comes to an EVF, the chances are I would have bought one.
I tend to be brand loyal if I am happy with what a company produces and I tend to ignore the nitpicking.
Every mobile phone I've had since the Galaxy S1 had been a Samsung and I still prefer Intel cpu's even thought AMD are now way ahead.
You would have to prise a Canon DSLR from my dying hands regardless of all the technical arguments against other brands.

You would have to prise a Canon DSLR from my dying hands regardless of all the technical arguments against other brands.

Madness. IMO. But each to his own. I give me these things as much brand loyalty as I give fridge freezers. Handling and menu wise they do vary but I find I can get used to things as long as they're remotely tolerable. Actually I like manual lenses more than cameras but even then I'm not brand loyal, I do prefer metal lenses with scalloped focus rings and several people made or make them, Voigtlander, Nikon and Minolta spring to mind.

PS.
I could be brand loyal as I like to buy British if it's even half way acceptable to keep us Brits employed and the tax revenue flowing to pay for the NHS and all the other good stuff but as none of this stuff is British I don't see why I should care if it's a Sony made in Thailand or a Canikon made wherever they make them.

Last edited:
Each to their own (y) I personally buy whatever is best for my needs (assuming I like it) rather than worry about what brand it is.

Each to their own (y) I personally buy whatever is best for my needs (assuming I like it) rather than worry about what brand it is.

Over the years I've seen countless members swapping one brand for another and as you said, each to their own.
If someone had said to me 5 years ago that one day I would buy an Olympus MFT body I would have laughed and asked if they had been smoking crack cocaine.
I also thought the same when people paid out for first generation mirrorless bodies without an EVF.

Last edited:
My first venture into a interchangeable lens mirrorless was with a Canon M 18-70mm and the 22mm f2 and eos adapter I loved the images you got from the 18mp sensor the downside was in bright light it was difficult to compose and view images.
I then went to Fuji with a X-pro 1 with 18mm f2.0 & a 27mm f2.0 on a crazy priced offer new shortly after I added a Fuji X-T10 and further lenses.
I then picked up a Lumix with short kit zoom lens but that was sold on fairly quickly to a friend who was after a small pocketable camera.
I then dropped on a OMD-EM5mkII and added a 17mm f2.8 prime :) loved the pocket size you got with that combination.
In the meantime I added numerous lenses and bodies and flash to my Fujifilm X system.
Still enjoying both systems 12+ Fuji bodies most the line up of fuji lenses.
Oh and 5x OMD-EM bodies 1 pen body 5 zooms & primes.
Truth is nobody makes bad cameras its just a case of which system meets your needs and pocket.
I also own Canon Nikon and Pentax systems which rarely ever see the light of day these days.
My advise is go to a dealer and handle the different models your interested in and handle them all and delve into all the different MENU systems !
I still find the Olympus menu the most difficult to navigate around but that's just me.

Back