Disappointed @ warehouse express

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
I ordered a Huey Pro monitor calibrator from warehouse express on 4 Jan and requested delivery for today 8 Jan.

While checking my emails after work last night I had one from warehouse expresss saying:

"We have tried to verify your name and address details but have been unsuccessful. To proceed with your order we require a recent confirmation of your residential address from you such as a bank statement, screen print from your online banking, Gas, Water or Electric Bill or even a driver’s license (both parts if this if possible)."

Now I have bought a lot of items from the internet before and I've NEVER had this. I can't understand why this is needed.

So I called, apparently it's to do with preventing fraud. Now I know they have to be careful, but I can go to another dealer and get the item without hassle like this. So I have cancelled the order.

Very disappointed as I have taken the day off work to accept the order in. Perhaps, if they had done this when I ordered it and not waited until the day before delivery it could have been sorted.

I wont be using them again.

It's a pain but I'd rather they were cautious, it would afer all only have taken a couple of seconds to do a screen grab from you online bank account or a couple of minutes to scan and uplaod a utility bill.

Hi

There must be a mistake, why do they need to verify your address. Were you taking credit on the goods?

I know one of our suppliers has problems with accepting Barclaycard because in addition to the security number they also ask for a password and we don't have a clue what they mean

No credit from them, I was paying by credit card, for the protection that gives me, but no credit from them.

I would expect its something imposed on WE by their credit card provider / bank.

It wouldn't surprise me that they have to do more checks than other retailers as the sort of things that criminals would use to liquidate dodgy cash into something physical they can sell on.

WE being one of the biggest are probably more of a target than a lot of the smaller guys.

Yes it is annoying, they should have called you earlier (how old was the email?), but it shows their anti-fraud systems do work!

Have you asked them why they needed to verify the details out fo interest. I am quite sure Warehouse express are only interested in selling products and getting paid for them. I am sure this must be a problem with the bank. Was the delivery address the same as the registered address for the credit card?

I do sympathies, and especially in this day and age realise why they have to be cautious but they left it too late to do anything about it. I also doubt many of their competitors would do and if they will make it difficult to buy things from them then I wont be using them.

The e-mail was sent at half 1 yesterday afternoon. I of course didn't see it until later in the evening. I know that's not their fault but they do have my phone number and as most people work in the day they should really expect that most customers wont get and email until the evening. They've had the order for 4 days!

I'll go and spend £10 extra and buy it down town!

Have you asked them why they needed to verify the details out fo interest. I am quite sure Warehouse express are only interested in selling products and getting paid for them. I am sure this must be a problem with the bank. Was the delivery address the same as the registered address for the credit card?

All the girl said was fraud prevention. She couldn't find my name matched to the address on some system that they use.

I had something similar once in that my debit card was being refused on the grounds that the delivery address was different to the address on my bank account. Turned out that my bank hadn't updated my postcode FIVE YEARS after I had informed them that it had changed, by only one letter! I ended up having to re-request the change with my bank before I was able to make the purchase. And it was for £2.99!

Heard this from someone else recently too, does sound annoying that it doesn't seem to work too well, but at least they are checking I guess :|

Have you moved house recently or anything?

There is a thread on another forum where an internet company took a £1400 payment on the 22nd Decemeber but then due to the Christmas break the goods were not despatched until the 5th Jan. There were people there saying that they should not take the payment until the goods were ready for despatch, maybe thats what they were doing

|I do find some fraud prevention measures strange though. I was in a shop once and my debit card was declined. I was livid and phoned the bank as soon as I got home. They told me that a payment had been made from my account for £400 and, as it was an unusual amount, they cancelled the card as a fraud prevention measure. I won't go into the rest of the conversation, but the following year we purchased a new car and I paid the balance of £11,000 with my debit card. Did the bank subsequently cancel my card? No, obviously £11,000 is not an unusual amount for me to spend! :wacky::bang: This was before I took up photography BTW! :D

Been in this house for 3 years.

Oh well. I'll now go and pop into town and pick up a spyder 3 pro. :)

Banks do monitor purchases. Online and mail order transactions are monitored much more than shop purchases, because the shop purchase is either checked against signature or bank.

We supply classic car parts all over the world and we often get cards declined but its only as a security measure. The customer has to call the card issuer and approve the transaction. It usually adds us to a approved retailers list as its unusual to have the same problem again with that customer on that card.

We also have car workshops here and just occasionally the owner has to talk to the card issuer when he's paying his bill - but the fact that the card is here, and the pin or signatures match, then it normally goes through.
`

My credit card issuer phoned me about some strange activity and stopped the card. A couple of days later an info pack for a gambling site arrived, addressed to a name with the correct initials but wrong first name. The crooks must know which websites are lax with their Customer Not Present verification, and we'd all be hopping mad if fraudulent use was more common.

Less than half my customers can be bothered to provide correctly formed address details, or a phone number, required for a courier-delivered order. In the run-up to Christmas many people have unrealistic expectations, hoping for a 2nd-class order to arrive in a couple of days rather than selecting Next Day. Anything even slightly out of the ordinary costs time to sort out, which can penalise other customers in the queue. The customers who make the most noise about their importance, or wanting samples or discounts have proven to be one-shot wonders, never heard from again.

I have had this happen before and it was down to the way the registered address was formed on the Bank Statement.

I write my address as Street, District, Town, County Postcode but the Bank Statments do not tend to have the District assigned to them hence my registered address differed on the card to what I had set on the purchasing website.

I sent a photocopy of the Bank Statement as requested and also Driving Licence and it was still declined as the Bank Statement didnt have District on it.

Cancelled the order, replaced said order omitting the District data and everything went through fine without any problems at all.

It is worth checking that the details are exactly as supplied by your Bank on your statements.

I suppose it's a bit catch 22 for them. They don't want to process payment before dispatch but if they do it early to highlight a problem like this then people get miffed that they have taken payment early! Hmm, perhaps a victim of circumstance on this occasion. Still put me off using them though.

This kind of measure is done with the first order from a customer, subsequent orders are accepted without the check but normally the retailer makes it clear about this procedure.

It might be worth seeing if you can find out what database WHE are using so you can get your details corrected or you might find it happens again with another retailer.

Had same problem...my post code didnt matched my details lol I never had any problems before and Im not going to send any proof of address as I dont feel like...I found other shop that could supply what I needed without any problems like it..
L.

My Credit Card was declined for a security check recent, when I bought my Canon 5D MKII.

It was flagged as an "unusual" transaction - guess they must know I normally buy Nikon ;):LOL:

My Credit Card was declined for a security check recent, when I bought my Canon 5D MKII.

It was flagged as an "unusual" transaction - guess they must know I normally buy Nikon ;):LOL:

The lovely people at Aqua cards did the same to me when I bought my drumkit. They said it was flagged up automatically as a potential fraud :shrug: Very annoying, not to mention embarassing, but I'd much rather companies be (perhaps over?) cautious, than me get scammed and have some little toerag run my CC to it's limit!

I ordered a Huey Pro monitor calibrator from warehouse express on 4 Jan and requested delivery for today 8 Jan.

While checking my emails after work last night I had one from warehouse expresss saying:

"We have tried to verify your name and address details but have been unsuccessful. To proceed with your order we require a recent confirmation of your residential address from you such as a bank statement, screen print from your online banking, Gas, Water or Electric Bill or even a driver’s license (both parts if this if possible)."

Now I have bought a lot of items from the internet before and I've NEVER had this. I can't understand why this is needed.

So I called, apparently it's to do with preventing fraud. Now I know they have to be careful, but I can go to another dealer and get the item without hassle like this. So I have cancelled the order.

Very disappointed as I have taken the day off work to accept the order in. Perhaps, if they had done this when I ordered it and not waited until the day before delivery it could have been sorted.

I wont be using them again

One of the reason I use Warehouse Express is because unlike some other companies that have received bad press via this very forum lately, they do not debit your card until the goods are dispatched. This has obvious advantages inasmuch you wouldn't have to go to all the troubles of trying to get your money back if the goods prove to be subsequently out of stock on dispatch day. Unfortunately (and as you've found out), it also means that if a problem does arise it won't raise its ugly head until the last minute. As regards the CC check, it's my bet that it would have been initiated by your CC company (for reasons best known to them) and nothing to do with Warehouse Express who are merely trying to help and appease you by completing the order. In view of that I do think your 'I won't be using them again' is a little harsh, but that's up to you of course (although nose, spite and face are words that come to mind). The last time (and only) time this ever happened to me (and it wasn't with WH incidentally), it turned out that my CC had been cloned. I won't go into the details but suffice to say I sorted it all out quite easily by talking to the CC company and NOT the company I was trying to purchase from. That conversation also averted a £2700 CC bill arriving on my doorstep which was not of my doing.

Last edited:
Well I have ordered quite a few things from Warehouse Express over the past two years (most recently a pack of A3 Epson paper on Thursday) and have had no issues at all with them.

I appreciate your point of view, however, I stand by my not using them again, as I don't get the hassle with other companies. I have done no end of transactions for stuff online from various companies and at varying costs. If Warehouse Express choose to use such a stringent check then good for them, but it is not for me.

It is hard for any company to try and prevent loss through fraud and alike but, it has to be weighed up along side customer satisfaction.

Maybe I was unlucky (or lucky depending on how you look at it) and it seems the majority have no problems at all, but if you go into a chip shop and buy a bad bag of chips, you aint gonna go back!

I appreciate your point of view, however, I stand by my not using them again, as I don't get the hassle with other companies. I have done no end of transactions for stuff online from various companies and at varying costs. If Warehouse Express choose to use such a stringent check then good for them, but it is not for me.

It is hard for any company to try and prevent loss through fraud and alike but, it has to be weighed up along side customer satisfaction.

Maybe I was unlucky (or lucky depending on how you look at it) and it seems the majority have no problems at all, but if you go into a chip shop and buy a bad bag of chips, you aint gonna go back!

I still think you're missing the point. I would still contact your CC company and ask them why Warehouse Express asked for ID. As I said earlier, I believe this CC check was initiated by your CC company and not Warehouse Express. Remember Warehouse Express stood to lose the sale which is not what keeps them in business. They don't really care who you are, all they want is the money for the goods you've ordered so it's my guess when WH tried to complete the transaction your CC company declined your card. If it were me, I want to know why.

Last edited:
Fair point but the card works with everyone else, so if it were the CC company then I would guess they would stop the card until I contacted them. They haven't, I used it for a bigger amount today.

To get the issue sorted it looks like they wanted copies of documents that I didn't want to send over insecure email or post out to them as it would of taken another week to get it sorted. It suited me better to just cancel and go elsewhere.

i can see this from warehouse's perspective, we took a payment at my shop over the phone, and the number, security code and the postcode matched but we sent it to an address that wasn't registered to the card. it was rejected by the person who owned the card and we had the money taken out of our account with out a by or leave. because we didn't send it to the address registered to the card we hadn't a leg to stand on. So if for what ever the reason the card company says the postcode doesn't match, then we as merchants have to be very careful, it doesn't matter if its the right postcode, if our service provider says no its not right, then it puts us in a vulnerable position

I wont be using them again.

I wonder what you'd be saying if they had accepted the order, debited your cc and shipped the goods and it turned out to be a fraudulent order.

Would you have phoned them up and congratulated them on their speedy order handling?

I had a similar thing on my first order from WE because I wanted the order delivered to my work address not my credit card billing address. I faxed over a couple of statements to prove who I was etc and I got the order the next day.

Personally I applaud the company for being so careful. In fact I wish all mail order companies had to legally do exactly the same thing.

The credit card protection you mention as covering you does just that, it covers fraud on your card, although once it's happened to you you might not look at it in the same way as it's a PITA. Anyway it doesn't cover them. So say they get an order, for example a shiny new £1000 lens, on your card and it's a fraud. You would, after a load of hassle with the credit card company, get your money back. Only they would be out of pocket, nobody gives them their money back.

It doesn't take a genius to work out no company can afford to throw that money down the drain.

So I say you don't use WE ever again. Because if they don't do these checks then they probably wont survive as a business much longer, and I personally think they're in the top 5 of the companies I've ever used, and in fact I only use 2 companies now for 99% of my kit and WE is the mail order one. I want them to keep going.

It was flagged as an "unusual" transaction - guess they must know I normally buy Nikon

I can see it now - this man does not normally show such sense, lets check he is ok :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I saw on the news the other day, Credit card companies are recommending that you contact them prior to going abroad, and may use your credit card whilst there.
They say cards with unusual activity get cancelled, and being in a different country from normal is unusual activity.

I have no problems with companies being more security conscious.

So, perhaps contacting Credit Card companies prior to behaving oddly would help the matter.

You don't necessarily have to supply proof of address, just the CORRECT address to begin with. If the post code is missing or incorrect, the sender cannot get compensation from RM if a package goes missing.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder?catId=400145&pageId=pcaf_pc_search&gear=postcode

Sorry but I gave them my correct address...I spoke with them and lady on the phone said that my post code doesent match to my debit card...when I wanted to give my address over the phone again she said thats not enough and she needs proof of address...
Maybe one day I will do it when by using them I will save few hundret quid :)

I saw on the news the other day, Credit card companies are recommending that you contact them prior to going abroad, and may use your credit card whilst there.
They say cards with unusual activity get cancelled, and being in a different country from normal is unusual activity.

Thats been the norm for years though with credit cards has it not?

As for WE I have had the odd problem with processing orders with the 3D secure process. In the end I phoned up for the order which was much simpler and no security questions asked on credit card used. I rate WE very high in customer service and can only think that they had a back load of orders over xmas/new year and maybe why it was left to the last minute to get in touch with yourself.

OK, I think a few people are taking this a bit personally.

My issue is that I can go elsewhere and get the same product for a similar price and without the hassle. So that's what I will do. End of.

Last edited:
All the girl said was fraud prevention. She couldn't find my name matched to the address on some system that they use.

They use the electoral roll, about this time last year, I bought a 400D kit from them, in their showroom, they asked my address, and then said someone else's name (I had only lived at that address approx a month) I asked how they knew that persons name (previous tenant) they said they use the electoral roll.

OK, I think a few people are taking this a bit personally.

My issue is that I can go elsewhere and get the same product for a similar price and without the hassle. So that's what I will do. End of.

Of course you can Steve but why try to make a competent business look bad on the world wide web for just doing their job. Its also probably less hassle to copy and email a utility bill than to go into town, find and pay for parking and then walk to and possibly queue in a shop.

I find this knocking of businesses all a bit distasteful

Back