DIY wildlife camera & RFID reader

sphexx

Likes a dare
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I thought this site may be of interest:

I doubt the definition etc is very high but since they are cheap to make and Wi-Fi connected they could have other uses such as identifying likely spots for photos and so on.

They are also working on a DIY RFID reader that could identify bird rings equipped with RFIDs (no idea how many are) when birds visit garden feeders which I imagine could have similar benefits:

Never heard of RFID on bird tags, do they?

I wonder if they could build a feeder that reads a birds tag and unlocks?
Access control to keep out the squirrels.
My guess is that would be relatively simply, why not suggest it to them? I think th problem might be stopping the Squirrels destroying the equipment :)

Never heard of RFID on bird tags, do they?
I only know from that site but they refer to the readers as being very expensive & it’s implied some rings may have. But I think, if you read the site, that it’s mainly intended to be ‘citizen science’ project and on the face of it would be very useful for the kinds of small birds that frequent feeders.

I only know from that site but they refer to the readers as being very expensive & it’s implied some rings may have. But I think, if you read the site, that it’s mainly intended to be ‘citizen science’ project and on the face of it would be very useful for the kinds of small birds that frequent feeders.
From a Google search it looks like they do with racing Pigeons but I've never heard of 'garden' birds having them ... who knows?

The pigeon tags did look a bit big for the likes of a robin or bluetit.

Back