Do I have the only Canon 5D MKII Lemon (Refund given by warehouse express)

What would you do if you was me on Monday 7th June?

• Demand full refund

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Demand Replacement Camera

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Take Camera Back Repaired

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Forget above and take WEX to court

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
And I don't think anyone can say fairer than that - another 10 pages of ranting/outrage won't change what has happened, proof of change by WEX will only be reflected via future purchasers and experience.

This was bought from a UK dealer but I’m not sure of its origins as it had already been opened when I got even the battery was loose in the box and unsealed.
I did inform the dealer of this at the time but they stated “not to worry sometimes they come from Canon like this”

Ben - I would like to hear your comments on this from the initial opening thread.

Wippers,

Whilst it is certainly unusual for the battery to be loose, an unsealed box is not uncommon. Stock coming in to the UK through official channels often comes via a European centre first. For many manufacturers, UK specific accessories such as mains leads are added to the box at this point before being sent to the main UK distributor. In addition, it seems that the more expensive the camera, the lower the quality of the glue used on the seals! It’s not at all uncommon to have a camera come in where the sealing sticker has started to peel off, although the box contents are then checked prior to being sold.

It is difficult for me to make any comment on KDBee's specific camera as I obviously did not see the box on arrival, but what I can say is that Warehouse Express do not deliberately pass of second hand, used or repaired goods as new, and neither do we deal with Grey or Parallel imports - all our new stock is bought through the official UK channels.

Ben

I've come late to this thread but I would just like to say thank you to Ben for being so honest about the issues that been raised.

In my business I have told my staff many times about "the law of expanding c*ck ups". This is where a fairly simple initial problem can easily escalate into a massive issue unless steps are taken quickly to make things right. Once you make the decision to do this then the money it costs is irrelevant. Customers judge you on the way you react to problems, not when things go normally for them.

I was once told that a happy customer tells three people about the company, and that an unhappy ones tells seven.

Funny, according to Protech that's exactly what you did in the case of the camera they purchased from you to replace my Nikon D40 ....

Of course Protech could have been telling porkies ;)

to be fair to them - I can except that mistakes happen (even to the best of us) - its how that is dealt with that makes the company.

I have been told that Canon UK are due their next delivery around 23rd June (an update to their previous estimate of the end of July, although these dates are still subject to change).

Ben I will wait for the new/replacement camera from yourselves.
Martin will phone Anna Paton to confirm this later on today.
Thank you for the offer to send my old camera back to me till new one arrives, but that will not be necessary.
I hope the wait wont be to long and only a few weeks.
Could you just reconfirm please, it will be 100% new?

Kay

Hi,
Went into Norwich WE [soooo convenient, next to my electrical wholesaler!]the other day to buy a new bag. Remembered this thread and thought ball***s I am not rewarding a company who treats its customers this way and walked out.

Dunc

Actually Ben in Scotland it is open to the purchaser under SOGA '79 (as amended) to '...reject any goods delivered under the contract and treat it as repudiated.' if the goods sold are unfit for purpose. You'll obviously be aware that Kay is in Scotland and so the provisions apply in this case.

This camera seems to have been a bit of a Friday-afternoon job and multiple failures within the first few months leave little room for argument that, regardless of any 'reasonable' 28 period and with the provisions of the Act being paramount, Kay was and remains entitled to a full refund.

As I've already said in this thread, I'm sticking with WEx as I've never had a problem with them.....in fact I'm off up there this afternoon! (y)

I'm sure they will learn from this thread, and hopefully because of it, things will improve in the future.....for that, Kay and Martin deserve a :clap:

Personally, I can't believe you're expecting a new camera and not a refund. Regardless of the reasons and explanations put forward by Ben @ WEX, I would expect no less than my money back so I could take my custom elsewhere.

It is so sad that it takes numerous attempts by the customer, 300+ posts on a forum and however many visits to the thread to get a simple reaction from an organisation. Simply not good enough.

The true strength of an organisation is in how it deals with problems not sales. Sadly WEX seems to have a very long way to go to recover from its current situation...

One to be avoided? - up to you the customers - vote with your feet...

Personally, I can't believe you're expecting a new camera and not a refund. Regardless of the reasons and explanations put forward by Ben @ WEX, I would expect no less than my money back so I could take my custom elsewhere.

It is so sad that it takes numerous attempts by the customer, 300+ posts on a forum and however many visits to the thread to get a simple reaction from an organisation. Simply not good enough.

The true strength of an organisation is in how it deals with problems not sales. Sadly WEX seems to have a very long way to go to recover from its current situation...

One to be avoided? - up to you the customers - vote with your feet...

Rob, this was exactly my thinking when I read KDBee's response and my immediate thought was there was an element of Stockholm Syndrome going on.
Kay and Martin's decisions have obviously been influenced by something we are not privvy to and it is their choice at the end of the day. Perhaps no one else has genuine stock ready for dispatch and its a waiting game anyway?

KDBee, I really hope the replacement camera is ok and the wait isn't too many weeks.

to be fair to them - I can except that mistakes happen (even to the best of us) - its how that is dealt with that makes the company.

Very true, I'm only relating what Protech said. To be fair Ben has been in touch and seems to have located the details for the camera in question and it was sold as refurbished, so it was Protech who were being economical with the actuality in this case....

Well....

There has been a lot of sense spoken on this particular thread.........and at the moment it appears the OP has accepted and appears to be happy with the outcome which I understand is a brand new shiny Camera due on or around 23rd June......

I dare say the negative exposure has cost WEx heavily from it's TP customer set, though I would expect that of their entire customer database members of TP are a fraction of a percent.

Like Duncan, (and many others) at the moment I would think twice about purchasing anything significant from WEx in the short to medium term future - although I do have the advantage of them being close by and can go in with a loud voice and tell them exactly what I think of service etc.

Hopefully, Ben can pass this thread along to the bosses at WEx as there are many glaring problems highlighted in this thread alone, and if WEx is to survive in what is becoming a dog eat dog world, then they must look after customers as a priority and the main thing customers want is communication. Yes customer experience / satisfaction is also paramount but all derive from communication.

How much different would this thread have read if on Afternoon of Day 1, Anna Paton had called Kay and said,

"I'm terribly sorry about your dead Camera Mrs XXXXXXX. I've checked our stock levels and we are currently out of stock of this model at the moment. New stock from Canon is due on 23rd June. In the meantime I have arranged for the Camera to be sent to Canon UK by RMSD 9am - the tracking no is ABC1234. I'll be able to give you an update tomorrow afternoon once Canon have received and inspected your camera."

... and then called Kay back the next day as promised.

First I would like to take this opportunity to thank all TP members who have helped and advised on this thread, regarding my problems with camera and Warehouse Express. A BIG THANK YOU

I have had a few Pms asking for updates. So here’s the conclusion.
Warehouse Express has offered me a refund in full or a new replacement camera.
I have now spoken to two of their managers and received today a letter though the post.
They have apologised and admit their shortfalls and assure me these will be looked into, basically what has been said by Ben on this thread.
I am not and will not say I’m happy about what’s happened.
I think this thread has done a lot to improve WEX future dealings with similar problems, and has shown them that forums like this do make a difference and should be noted.
I have decided to wait for the new camera from WEX.
Why didnt I ask for refund? Appart from UK availability is very limited.
I would also have to send back the charger and bits plus the kit lens, were would they have to go?, the returns dept. We all know what can happen there. Replacement is quickest and easiest option
What I wanted from day one was a new replacement camera and that’s what I’m getting, thanks to you guys. (y)

Warehouse Express should also note this thread has drawn alot of attention and has had over 13,000 views

Well now, it finally looks like a happy ending is in sight :D Congrats Kay and Martin!!

Also, well done to Ben for signing up on here and tryg to explain things - lets face it, he didn't have to do that, this particular case isn't really anything to do with the rest of us is it?

However, what a shame it is that even after all the OPs ignored contact with WEX, this thread, and also those on WEXs own forum, that the beginings of a positive outcome didn't happen until it was also flagged up on the WEX facebook page. You can't help but wonder what would have happened with this without the likes of TP, facebook etc......

Just shows you how much power can be gained from the internet, it can spread both good and bad info......just look how it's helped Wheels and now Magicmynx.

I have just spent a small fortune on camera equipment this week, a vast majority of that would have been spent at WEX but I changed my mind after reading this thread.

I am still looking to spend a fair amount more on various bits and pieces but that will not be with WEX either

i would have taken the refund and asked wex to get in touch when they have stock

Well done Ben for joining up to take the inevitable flak that your company so richly deserves

I opened a WEX 'live chat' with someone called Ben the other day - and pointed them/him to this thread - hope it did some good!

I too am glad that we have reached a satisfactory conclusion for KDBee, but also agree that it has been too long coming.

All I would say is that Warehouse Express, like any other business, is staffed and run by people. These people have good days and bad days and, yes, we make mistakes. Certain individuals at WEX have come in for some real flack in this thread and, whilst I'm in no way suggesting that we haven't handled things badly, we are only human. Well, most of us...

For those of you who are prepared to give Warehouse Express another chance, all I can do is promise that we will try to do better for you in the future.

Thank you,

Ben

If the shortcomings were from Management staff, you would expect better at that kind of level, after all they are in charge of a team, with the emphasis on providing a good customer service.

What hope is there if a Manager can't get it right?

PS. I probably would have received a Lee Filters Big Stopper by now had the person in the call centre put my request on back order when I asked them to..

A few weeks later when I enquired, sensing something was up, I was told that there is no record of me ordering one..

I'm not impressed to say the least..a complete waste of time, cost of the calls and had I known how inept the service was, I'd have ordered elsewhere...the only option I now have is to try and source one elsewhere :annoyed:

I read all this with interest as I haven't used WEX since my purple cokin ND grads fiasco.
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=141957

Basically got the run around from WEX, they wouldn't let me submit a review stating the filters give a magenta tinge because it was negative, gave me a bit of a runaround and wouldn't accept there was a problem.

That was last year!

I prefer to support my local shops now as I'm lucky to have two excellent ones near me and a reasonable Jessops. It's slightly more in cost but absolutely no hassle.

I have just spent a small fortune on camera equipment this week, a vast majority of that would have been spent at WEX but I changed my mind after reading this thread.

I am still looking to spend a fair amount more on various bits and pieces but that will not be with WEX either

In the last week I have ordered and received a Nikkor 70-200 VRII (£1630 ish) with a Nikkor 1.4x TC (£379), a Lee Big Stopper (£100), a Blackrapid RS4 camera strap (£56) ... All sold by WEX and probably would have been with them too.

In the competitive market place people will not put up with poor customer service, WEX had plenty of chances to react far quicker than this. It has taken beyond an acceptable amount of time to reach an agreeable resolution and it is this which will cause the most damage and what made me go elsewhere.

Fair play to Ben for standing up and taking the heat but I think it has been too little too late to prevent me from considering shopping with WEX in future, or at least until I start to hear of excellent feedback.

I'm glad you have eventually got a result that your'e happy with KD Bee, enjoy the camera when it arrives. If this one is broken go Nikon ;)

If anything, this is an object lesson in the larger retailers having a Forum 'presence' as many US suppliers do on the Mustang Forums I occasionally delve into when researching upgrades.
To have a 'got-to' guy on the Forum that you can use as a Point-of-Contact' is invaluable and may help sway 'on the fence' customers towards you.

I hope Ben sticks around.

@ Mods - what is your take on this - we have a Forum advertisers section - any interest from the larger players like WEX, Calumet et al?

In these days of tweets and face-off-flickr-book, any additional avenue to potential customers would be good news, I'd have thought...

I came across this thread when I googled for reviews and current prices of Canon 5D MkII, and as a result I sent the following email to WEX on 4th. June. I have only just registered today on this forum, and that is why I have not posted before:-

Please remove me from your email and postal lists.

Whilst googling "Canon 5D MkII" for reviews and current prices, I came across the following thread:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=231800

Having had a very bad experience, which is still ongoing, regarding a "UK Stock" camera which I purchased from *********, and which turned out to be a previously used "Grey Import" (North American/Canadian), and was supplied with a battery charger with an illegal plug/adaptor set up, I want to know that I will be dealing with a company which will provide a first class after sales service when I spend several thousand pounds on a full frame digital SLR system, to replace my Canon F1nAE 35mm film professional system.

In the light of the aforementioned thread, your company fails miserably in that respect."

I cannot name ********* above at the moment, because Trading Standards are going to bring criminal charges against this company. However, the Review Centre website is full of complaints about *********, but, unfortunately, I did not come across the site until it was too late.

Anyway, I was very pleased to read that you will be getting a new replacement camera, KDBee.

I am still undecided whether to take the plunge now and buy a 5D MkII, or to wait a bit longer in case a MkIII is released.

I don't want to jack this thread... But, on Tuesday I had to return a Bowens Gemini 500Pro to WEX which had failed (completely dead) less than 50 flashes into its life.

It was picked up by courier on Tuesday, and as I'm waiting for a refund on the unit, which I had less than 14 days before it died, I decided to phone them just now to check it has been received.
Apparently, it's not been booked in yet - but according to the guy who I spoke to, that doesn't mean it's not been received :shrug:

Either way, this is £500 worth of kit that I need to keep a track of so I can get my money back...
I'm expecting a call back tomorrow from the chap I spoke to today with an update of where my flash is, and when I'll get my refund. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into another horror story as I've always been happy with WEX so far...

ben this is more than just an off "day"

wex had plenty of chances to sort this and didn't

Having just read this thread to start to finish, I will not be using WEX in the future for any purchases. It's not worth putting up with the chance of cr@p service.

Certain individuals at WEX have come in for some real flack in this thread

Because they didn't do what they said they were going to (call the customer back) , and refused to speak to the customer (when the customer called them)

See my last 2 paragraphs of post # 338.

Easy all... Yes mistakes in customer service have been made and Ben has apologised for them. Kay has had a nightmare but the end (and a 5D MkII!) is in sight.

There is a real chance for WEX to get in partnership with some of their customers on this forum and build strong relationships once more... Lets hope they can turn this into a positive and instigate a really cool TP presence that is mutually beneficial.

I really hope they do because having a representative on here from such a big photographic company would be awesome.

If anything, this is an object lesson in the larger retailers having a Forum 'presence' as many US suppliers do on the Mustang Forums I occasionally delve into when researching upgrades.
To have a 'got-to' guy on the Forum that you can use as a Point-of-Contact' is invaluable and may help sway 'on the fence' customers towards you.

I hope Ben sticks around.

@ Mods - what is your take on this - we have a Forum advertisers section - any interest from the larger players like WEX, Calumet et al?

In these days of tweets and face-off-flickr-book, any additional avenue to potential customers would be good news, I'd have thought...

WEX have sponsored rounds of the competition before.

The problem is that companies (not necessarily WEX) dont think that forums are good places to advertise or connect with current or potential customers. Some companies, such as a well known bag manufacturer for example, are very short sighted when it comes to forums, while others are coming round to the fact that 1 thread like this can really make an impact. Advertising to people on forums like this can work very well.

When we went to Focus, I was very disappointed by the reactions we got from some of the manufacturers and suppliers, I guess its only threads like this that make some of these companies sit up and take notice.

:shrug:

Just a quick thought which I haven't seen raised:

If you get a refund and purchase elsewhere you will have a full guarantee with that new purchase.

However, even though WEX will be supplying a new replacement camera will you have the same warranty with it as if you bought new elsewhere? At the back of my mind I'm thinking that you won't - WEX will have discharged their duties under SOGA and you could have a battle if anything goes wrong with the new camera.

Might be worth checking and getting something in writing.

If you get a refund and purchase elsewhere you will have a full guarantee with that new purchase.

However, even though WEX will be supplying a new replacement camera will you have the same warranty with it as if you bought new elsewhere? At the back of my mind I'm thinking that you won't - WEX will have discharged their duties under SOGA and you could have a battle if anything goes wrong with the new camera.

I hink you'll find that the warranty comes with the camera so if it's a new camera, it will be a new warranty.

WEX have sponsored rounds of the competition before.

The problem is that companies (not necessarily WEX) dont think that forums are good places to advertise or connect with current or potential customers. Some companies, such as a well known bag manufacturer for example, are very short sighted when it comes to forums, while others are coming round to the fact that 1 thread like this can really make an impact. Advertising to people on forums like this can work very well.

When we went to Focus, I was very disappointed by the reactions we got from some of the manufacturers and suppliers, I guess its only threads like this that make some of these companies sit up and take notice.

:shrug:

I was pleasantly surprised on the car-forums i mentioned: several major suppliers have a dedicated Forum-guy whose job it is to help customers through this means - any mention of that company's product has the 'Forum-Rep' straight in there asking if there's anything they can do to help.
I found it invaluable when researching different tuning-solutions for the V8 - being able to speak to the guy who actually writes the codes and discuss my exact driving-needs was brilliant.
Same thing when I wanted to upgrade to a racing-suspension system...

If WEX had put ben in here earlier, most or all of this thread wouldn't have appeared...look at how after just a couple of posts thing went quiet here - in the absence of information, we're free to speculate.
As soon as reliable feedback from the company appeared, everyone calmed down again.

Think this is right and that's why if I take anything back i always get a refund even if I then buy the exact same product in the same shop

Back