Do I have the only Canon 5D MKII Lemon (Refund given by warehouse express)

What would you do if you was me on Monday 7th June?

• Demand full refund

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Demand Replacement Camera

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Take Camera Back Repaired

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Forget above and take WEX to court

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Just to update briefly on my story from above.
This morning I received a call from the chap I spoke to yesterday at WEX.

They have my flash head, and it's being looked at this morning so they can get my refund sorted next week.
All looking good so far (y)

Think this is right and that's why if I take anything back i always get a refund even if I then buy the exact same product in the same shop

Not sure where you get that from. A manufacturer's warranrty comes with the product, not the retailer. If it is a brand new camera, then it comes with a brand new warranty.

They have my flash head, and it's being looked at this morning so they can get my refund sorted next week.

When I bought my 300D (from another supplier) it failed after a week. The supplier sent out a replacement with the courier that picked up the faulty item, the next day, at no cost to myself. That's customer service, not keep you hanging about for a week or more.

But the retailer will insist their 12 month responsibilty begins on the date you bought the original item. (I know this to be true from experience)
Recently had an exhaust replaced under warranty and was told quite clearly that very fact
Presumably you would have to deal direct with the manufacturer and argue the case as to when the warranty begins

As we have seen the sale of goods act is open to interpretation and even when you are perfectly within your rights getting satisfaction can still be a problem

But the retailer will insist their 12 month responsibilty begins on the date you bought the original item. (I know this to be true from experience)
Recently had an exhaust replaced under warranty and was told quite clearly that very fact
Presumably you would have to deal direct with the manufacturer and argue the case as to when the warranty begins

As we have seen the sale of goods act is open to interpretation and even when you are perfectly withing your rights getting satisfactioon can still be a problem

The 12 month warranty is with the manufacturer, not the retailer. That warranty is registered against the serial number of the camera, therefore new camera new warranty. As for the SoGA, that should apply as if you bought that camera for the first time and any retailer that argues other than that would be just plain wrong IMO.

As we have seen the sale of goods act is open to interpretation and even when you are perfectly within your rights getting satisfaction can still be a problem

you got fobbed off.

If you purchased extended warranty and needed a replacement item under the intial 12 month warranty often the new item will have the 12 month manufacturer warranty but the extended period will be from the original purchase date

When I bought my 300D (from another supplier) it failed after a week. The supplier sent out a replacement with the courier that picked up the faulty item, the next day, at no cost to myself. That's customer service, not keep you hanging about for a week or more.

I do agree with you somewhat. At the moment I'm £500 down and don't have a studio head to show for it, and can't go and buy the Lencarta replacement until I get my refund.
Yes, I believe the refund should have been working my way back into my account within an hour of the defective head being signed for back at WEX. But, after reading Kay's experiences in this thread, I'll be happy with just not being dicked around...

I have been recently trying to source the best price for a 17-55 2.8 and after sending a query to one shop that seemed to have a good price I got back...

"The shop is closed on monday the 14th of June and will reopen on the 21st of June. We are on one week annual holiday. We will respond to your emails on the 21st of June Thank you."

Annual holiday with no cover? Think I will give this store a miss :wacky:

I'm pleased for the OP this eventually got sorted and can think of many electrically goods stores I use that wouldn't have come on a forum to face the music.

Good to see they are taking steps to try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"The shop is closed on monday the 14th of June and will reopen on the 21st of June. We are on one week annual holiday. We will respond to your emails on the 21st of June Thank you."

Is this a small local store? Maybe it is family run and everyone is going away together or the only person who is senior enough to cash up/lock up is the one on annual leave.

Attitudes like yours mean small independents cannot have holiday :bang:

Is this a small local store? Maybe it is family run and everyone is going away together or the only person who is senior enough to cash up/lock up is the one on annual leave.

Attitudes like yours mean small independents cannot have holiday :bang:

The point is when I'm spending £800 and have a problem I don't want an email back saying everyone is on holiday for a week.

I have been recently trying to source the best price for a 17-55 2.8 and after sending a query to one shop that seemed to have a good price I got back...

Yes, very strange....

Was it Martins?

Still waiting for my refund...

Just phoned them and asked where it was. Got told it's waiting for a manager to tick a box to authorise it... Apparently, it's all got caught in a bit of a loop but now I've brought it to their attention they can sort it today. :bonk:

Seriously - it's not difficult.
- Faulty goods dispatched to customer
- Customer returns goods within 14 days
- Supplier receives goods back
- Supplier plugs goods in, confirms fault
- Supplier refunds customer swiftly so they can buy alternative goods
- Customer is happy, knowing the after care service is as smooth as the sales process

Or am I just deluded?

Many people think that Jessops are worthless but most companies have a lot to learn from the following regarding customer satisfaction:

A 550D I bought for work developed a fault just under a month after we bought it.
Because we were abroad at the time and just returned last Saturday I could not take it back until it was just over 2 months old so I did not expect much when I called Jessops.

When I told them what happened they agreed for me to take the faulty camera back and get a brand new one, with a new receipt so that the warranty would reset to 12 months!!!

I am now getting a full refund from Warehouse Express, as I have now found a camera elsewhere.
WEX are collecting the other camera bits and kit lens today.
Thank you all again

Kay

I am just about to buy camera equipment and a Canon 50d from WEX, however since reading this post decided to buy locally to avoid problems.

I have purchased a lot from WEX in previous years, but I will not be using them from now on.

Well, my refund for the faulty Bowens finally hit my account today. How much of that was due to natural process and how much was due to me dropping Ben at WEX a PM on Wednesday and asking him to look into it (who -all credit to him- PM'd back within the hour, apologised for the delay and said it had just been done) is unclear. But, it's done and I now have a Lencarta kit on the way.

So, WEX. Great, speedy and efficient delivery... But returns and after care need to be improved imho.

I've had a couple of dozen deliveries from WEx over the past year or so. On only three occasions have I needed to call returns, each time my problem was dealt with quickly, courteously and efficiently.
Firstly, a high value item was damaged on receipt, Wex collected and, as they had no more stock of the item, refunded the next day.
The other two occasions were low value items that had been wrongly picked. WEx told me to keep the wrong items and sent out the correct items the next day.

Not to belittle anyone's negative experiences but just thought I'd add my own very positive experiences for the sake of balance. :)

Firstly, a high value item was damaged on receipt, Wex collected and, as they had no more stock of the item, refunded the next day. . :)

Good to see positive feedback about WEX speed of refunds.(y)
My bits and kit lens were collected on Wednesday 23rd June, two days ago.
They should have now, so I hope seeing your feedback I will get my refund by early next week. :)
Thanks for reassuring me all should be quick and simple, I don’t want any more hassle

Kay

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Stuart from Digital Depot.
Last week I decided I would like to have Nikon,, I’ve been using my husbands D700 since my 5DMKII went on its trip to WEX and I liked.
So last week my husband phoned Stuart, (who he has used before) and explained the situation.
Stuart knew of this thread and said leave it with him.
Within the hour Stuart phoned us back. He had spoken to Nikon and sigma, and pointed them to this thread In return Sigma and Nikon gave him one of deals for me, these prices were/are well below anything else we could find and I do mean well below
I now have a nice new shiny Nikon D700, Nikon 16-35mm VR and a Sigma 150mm Macro, I was even given a few freebies including a Nikon camera Backpack.
This thread really did come up trumps for me in the end, and its thanks to you all.
So again my thanks go to
Stuart Digital Depot, for going that extra mile
Nikon
Sigma
And lastly again to all who have helped in lots of way on TP
I KNOW WHO I WILL SHOP WITH IN THE FUTURE

Kay x

Bravo Stuart and the folks from Nikon/Sigma so after all your heart ache stress whatever you want to call it, things turned out rosey.... well not if your reading this from Canon or WEX headquarters. You deserve it Kay for the length of time you have had to put up with this, enjoy your new camera gear.

Hi,

I’ve been reading this thread with interest & it seems there are many opinions on warranties etc.

I have, in the past never bothered with warranties as they always seem to be far too expensive to warrant spending the money on them.

However, we bought a vacuum cleaner from Currys around 3 years ago & I was offered a warranty for £30, I said I was willing to pay £20 & the manager agreed. To-date we are on our 6th cleaner & the latest one came with a manufacturers 5-year cover.

Around 2 years ago I bought a Tom Tom sat nav, again haggled on the price & got the 3 year cover for £20, again I’m on sat nav number 5, all failed outside the 1 year warranty.

Now I know people will quote the sale of goods act etc. But we all know how much fighting it can be.

With the Currys warranty, I walk in, tell them the fault & walk out with a new product. I’ve never had a problem.

So when buying my new Canon 50D, I searched the net & got them to match the best price, also got a 5 year warranty knocked down from £180 to £140. That’s £35 per year for a piece of kit worth over £1000 including the lens.

I must admit I’m the person who always gets the “Friday” item, but at least I know I have no need to worry for 5 years, unless they go bust!!

Cheers,

Mick

SUPERB RESULT Kay* (y)

Glad to hear that Stuart sorted you out and you finally have the kit you deserve. And good on Nikon etc for looking at this as an opportunity for some good PR.

Is the power of Photography Forums being recognised?

Look forward to seeing your shots with all the new kit lovely lady.

(*except it is a Nikon).

Hi,

I’ve been reading this thread with interest & it seems there are many opinions on warranties etc.

I have, in the past never bothered with warranties as they always seem to be far too expensive to warrant spending the money on them.

However, we bought a vacuum cleaner from Currys around 3 years ago & I was offered a warranty for £30, I said I was willing to pay £20 & the manager agreed. To-date we are on our 6th cleaner & the latest one came with a manufacturers 5-year cover.

Around 2 years ago I bought a Tom Tom sat nav, again haggled on the price & got the 3 year cover for £20, again I’m on sat nav number 5, all failed outside the 1 year warranty.

Now I know people will quote the sale of goods act etc. But we all know how much fighting it can be.

With the Currys warranty, I walk in, tell them the fault & walk out with a new product. I’ve never had a problem.

So when buying my new Canon 50D, I searched the net & got them to match the best price, also got a 5 year warranty knocked down from £180 to £140. That’s £35 per year for a piece of kit worth over £1000 including the lens.

I must admit I’m the person who always gets the “Friday” item, but at least I know I have no need to worry for 5 years, unless they go bust!!

Cheers,

Mick

I'm on my 4th breadmaker from Currys with similar insurance!

Phil

The point is when I'm spending £800 and have a problem I don't want an email back saying everyone is on holiday for a week.

Don't worry you won't get an email back because they will all be away on holiday :shrug:

You wont regret getting a D700, its a wonderful camera

I'm sure I wont regreet.
The only problem I can see happening is, Martin wants my 16-35mm lens.
So Martin if you are reading this, MINE
Whats mine is mine and whats yours is also mine :D

I love happy endings :D, but even more ... :nikon:

Well done Kay! As they say, "Good things come to those who wait" ;)!

Top marks to Nikon, too!

I love happy endings :D, but even more ... :nikon:

Well done Kay! As they say, "Good things come to those who wait" ;)!

Top marks to Nikon, too!

Yes I agree all has worked out very well, thank you
Even when martin phoned the credit card company, to see what they suggested.
He was told he had 38000 ish points on his card, martin had no idea they even did points. :LOL:
Today we got £185 worth of argos vouchers, from them. :banana:
If we hadn’t had the problems, we would never have phoned them.
Now if only argos sold the Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens.
Lots of trips planed this summer, were I can see me using my new camera a lot :love:

Kay

Yes I agree all has worked out very well, thank you
Even when martin phoned the credit card company, to see what they suggested.
He was told he had 38000 ish points on his card, martin had no idea they even did points. :LOL:
Today we got £185 worth of argos vouchers, from them. :banana:
If we hadn’t had the problems, we would never have phoned them.
Now if only argos sold the Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens.
Lots of trips planed this summer, were I can see me using my new camera a lot :love:

Kay

:eek: Whoa! How lucky can one Kay Bee :D?

Actually, have you thought about writing to Canon and directing them to this thread :naughty:? Maybe they'd send you a brand new (working) 5D, in an effort to try and out-PR the competition.

Of course, I'd have to delete this post before you did such a thing :shake:.

;)

Back