Do I need to disclose........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah well you can lead a horse to water...

If the prospective employer uses the non declaration of a spent conviction as a reason not to employ you (if you can prove it ;) ), they themselves are breaking the law.
True, but the example I gave concerned CCJs, which IIRC are not criminal convictions so not covered by the Rehabilitation act. They stay on your record for 6 years even if satisfied so whilst you may not have a criminal record, that doesn't mean you are 'clear' as far as job applications go.

But this isn't relevant to the OP....

True, but the example I gave concerned CCJs, which IIRC are not criminal convictions so not covered by the Rehabilitation act. They stay on your record for 6 years even if satisfied so whilst you may not have a criminal record, that doesn't mean you are 'clear' as far as job applications go.

But this isn't relevant to the OP....

A CCJ or other would not be treated differently and the HR forms would ask for these in a different area, the OP was asking about Criminal Convictions.

The last 3 HR application forms I filled in (including the one that brought someone a cropper) lumped criminal convictions and court judgments together, but I take your point.

OK - thanks all - going t declare it, as , as mentioned above. Pleaded guilty in a maj court.

Yes I was stupid, and not that it makes a jot of differece, was the morning after the night before (for those interested.)

Should Idisclose it, nothing tocome back at me in x months time....

The last 3 HR application forms I filled in (including the one that brought someone a cropper) lumped criminal convictions and court judgments together, but I take your point.

It will state on every HR form asking this question if the following rules need to be applied
The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (the ROA)

The general rule is that you do not have to disclose, and you should only do so freely or where it is clear that you are applying for a position that requires you to do so. The vast majority of jobs and professions are not covered by these exemptions and a request to disclose spent convictions can be ignored unless the position is exempt. Below is a brief list of the types of jobs that might require disclosure of spent convictions:

• Doctors, dentists, midwives and nurses
  • Lawyers
  • Accountants
  • Police officers
  • School-based jobs
  • Jobs with social services providers
  • Jobs that involve the supervision or training of people under the age of 18

Aah, my jobs would fall under the "accountants" bracket. Better keep my nose clean :D

They just phoned round everywhere I've ever been checking every detail of my CV (*)!

(*) And stuff not on my CV, like having to list every address I'd lived at for the last 6 years, then prove it.

Last edited:
Honestly.....if I saw that on an application I probably wouldn't interview you. Yes, it's prejudice and unfair but you wouldn't even get to tell me your story.

So I'd only disclose if the law says you have to ;)

Reactions: ST4
@dejongi The rules regarding spent convictions are there for a reason, choose to do things differently if you please , but as I said above.
I cannot stress any more than I have done. follow the rules to the letter.

spent=don't disclose.
And technically you are absolutely right, you don't have too. Reality of that is very different. I don't know in what sector and to what level clearances you are used to, but if it is up to and including the levels you can't talk about then you know what I mean ;)

All I'm saying, if in doubt just disclose. Your changes are much better when you disclose if you don't have to, than when you didn't and you had too.

You would have to be mad to disclose something adverse to an employer when there was no requirement to do so - it would be the same as voluntarily discussing some unusual activity you liked doing in your spare time - for example would a keen dogger discuss their hobby at interview?

You would have to be mad to disclose something adverse to an employer when there was no requirement to do so - it would be the same as voluntarily discussing some unusual activity you liked doing in your spare time - for example would a keen dogger discuss their hobby at interview?
Depends what the job is, then yes absolutely.

Nothing wrong with jogging, and it may even work in your favour (I'm assuming that was a typo)..

id be surprised if accountants get crb checked or asked for enhanced disclosure!

It's DBS nowadays

As for the op I'd err on the side of caution and declare it ,better to have to discuss it at interview however embarrassing it is than to be dismissed for not ,you may go for a job that doesn't need a declaration in the future and it will be on your employment history

Nothing wrong with jogging, and it may even work in your favour (I'm assuming that was a typo)..
The number of people who think it's clever jog to work rather than driving like a "normal" person and then subject their colleagues to sweaty odours :cool:

Last edited:
The number of people who think it's clever jog to work rather than driving like a "normal" person and then subject their colleagues to sweaty odours :cool:
I just have a shower, just like many of my colleagues.

Honestly.....if I saw that on an application I probably wouldn't interview you. Yes, it's prejudice and unfair but you wouldn't even get to tell me your story.

So I'd only disclose if the law says you have to ;)

your loss then...maybe...

Answered long ago Steve.
Reading the thread will assist.

Just stating as my own experience of a serious motoring conviction and the legal advice I took from a solicitor.

The OP should be prepared to lose out on other employment oppertunities. So far I have missed two, although still have my current job. Drink driving is arguably as least as serious as dangerous driving.

Just go self employed like me.
I don't have to tell myself anything, and if I do I don't pay attention.
Your clients may still require it off you for more interesting assignments.

Your clients may still require it off you for more interesting assignments.
Not my clients.

It's up to them if they want me to work.
But, to be fair, I have a reputation to uphold. I am left in client's homes, on my own, with keys.
People don't let you do that without a very good reputation.

Most of my work comes from referrals.

Last edited:
Not my clients.

It's up to them if they want me to work.
But, to be fair, I have a reputation to uphold. I am left in client's homes, on my own, with keys.
People don't let you do that without a very good reputation.

Most of my work comes from referrals.
In that case any of this is totally irrelevant to you ;)

In that case any of this is totally irrelevant to you ;)
Yep!
I could never go back to working for someone else.

It would be too easy :)

Yep!
I could never go back to working for someone else.

It would be too easy :)
Lol you are missing the point totally. Whether you require the checks or not is irrelevant to your employment status. It is related to the work that you perform. You obviously do not perform any activities that are of sensitive nature, which is absolutely fine, the vast majority doesn't, but hence I said that the topic is rather irrelevant for you.

Lol you are missing the point totally. Whether you require the checks or not is irrelevant to your employment status. It is related to the work that you perform. You obviously do not perform any activities that are of sensitive nature, which is absolutely fine, the vast majority doesn't, but hence I said that the topic is rather irrelevant for you.
I haven't missed the point. I'm just rambling...

I did agree with you- I said Yep!

I haven't missed the point. I'm just rambling...

I did agree with you- I said Yep!
Ok sorry, with matters involving disclosure and security clearances I tend to get a bit serious as the topic is. As such I obviously missed the finer point being made.

Can we please close this thread down?

I, as the OP, asked some questions, and various people have answered and confirmed what I sort of thought...

As always OOF has gone OOT (off of topic)

Ta.

Don't think there are any Mods reading the thread - you'll need to RTM it.

Can we please close this thread down?

I, as the OP, asked some questions, and various people have answered and confirmed what I sort of thought...

As always OOF has gone OOT (off of topic)

Ta.

Mistake #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back