Do you keep the boxes?

Our boarded out attic is pretty much just box storage.
cameras, lenses, iPads, iPhones, PS4, and so on.

Boxes are kept for expensive items - things that'll wear out quickly - or be worth less than £20 in a year - those boxes go out....

Glad to hear it's not just me and the wife that keep boxes. We keep them with the intention of packing everything back in to them if ever we should move, T.V. screen boxes e.t.c.

Just in the middle of moving house and my other half wonder's why I have kept all the boxes for my camera gear.
So my question is do you keep yours? Or do you bin them after the warranty expires. And does it add any value to the gear?

Yes I have the original box for EVERY piece of camera gear I persently own, with the exception of the Manfrotto Tripod :)

Les

Not as a rule, no. I did keep the box for my Canon 70-200mm f4.0, because I bought it for a particular purpose and always intended to sell it afterwards. It was a lovely lens, but I had no further use for it.

If ever there are two similar items for sale and one has the box and on doesn't, the preferred one will always be with the box. Which probably explains why I keep every single box (and have a flattened stash of odd bigger boxes for posting or when we eventually move house)! I think it's safe to say if we have a house fire, the loft will be adding to the fuel.

Yes always keep the boxes, even for things like filters! I look after my gear and `I think it shows that you care about your kit when you come to sell it if you still have the boxes.

Yes, always keep the box as it gives somewhere to store the lens caps and other gubbins till it's sale time. Also makes packaging up to post easier.

Though I now have a spare Fuji 60mm macro lens box, as I sold it without it, incorrectly thinking I'd bought it unboxed in the first place :LOL:

Though I now have a spare Fuji 60mm macro lens box, as I sold it without it, incorrectly thinking I'd bought it unboxed in the first place :LOL:

Stick it one Evil Bay - I bet you'll get at least a tenner for it. ;)

Boxes are so silly, I'm just looking at a second hand lenses and it has no box will in "mint" condition. And me wondering, shoud I or not...
It does affect resell price but honestly it is stupid.

I just bought a DJI Air 2s, I used the Amazon box that it came in to post my old Air 2 to it's new owner, recycling at it's best ;)

I keep boxes for a couple of weeks and then bin them if the kit has not failed- and I cannot think of when any new kit has failed on me. I don't buy kit with the intention of selling it so the effect on resale price doesn't matter.

I keep some especially camera and lens boxes long term but others I just keep until I know I'm keeping the thing and then I get rid.

Hi, I keep my boxes, but I don't know where they are after some time ... ---

My perception is that someone that has got the box and all the bits has taken care of the lens (rightly or wrongly). It also helps with sending in the post.

if I'm buying used, a choice of two in identical condition I'll always pick the boxed.
I keep useful and tough general boxes in case of eBay emergency, I'd never put brown packing tape directly onto an original box
I did this weekend however go through the loft mercilessly to make some space... as a result there will no longer be a national cardboard shortage. Will need to fill trailer and car, way too much for the wheely bin

I had to send our (£1k +) sewing machine off to the manufacturer for repair. Had to buy an original box from them with packing to ensure that I could meet the conditions of the only Courier firm that would insure it during transit. Box cost £35!

Moral? KEEP ALL BOXES regardless of what the contents were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
I was browsing used kit the other day and noticed Park cameras state ‘boxed’ or ‘unboxed’ in the product title. I couldn’t find two similar condition lenses/cameras to see what effect it had. I’m guessing they felt boxed could command a higher value otherwise why state it in the product title.

Last edited:
If it came in a box, I'll keep the box. As most have said, it's worth it when you come to sell and it makes packing it easier.
I did once sell a 16-35mm f2.8 and send it in the box for a 17-40mm f4 :p

I keep almost all mine. Makes a difference at trade in time. Might only be a few quid but that's a few quid saved for the sake of a little space in the loft.

I must be one of the odd ones out.. first thing I do when I get a bit of kit, will be throw the box away!! Years ago I used to keep all my Nikon camera boxes, a sea of gold boxes kept in a suitcase. Eventually needed the suitcase so got rid of all the boxes in one go
Got too much stuff without keeping the boxes for it too tbh!

camera bodies, lenses - all boxes retained
But it‘s not just camera gear - I tend to keep boxes for just about everything - even my 7 year old PC monitor!

Last edited:
Yes for all my photo gear.......but I'm extremely lucky because three of them fold up and fit into the fourth! :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Only if I have the room. to be fair, the box is a bonus when purchasing something second hand, and not a del breaker. Says something about the seller I suppose

I keep mine for anything worth over £100 - the only exception was the TV box as I didn't have the space for it :(

just photo boxes. used to keep them in the attic until I found it was taking me hours scrambling round in the dark and dust to find the one I wanted when selling stuff.
Moved half of them to the garage - brilliant solution ! - now takes me twice as long to find anything.

The basic problem is my complete lack of a sense of order and a system.

I think they do add at least to the saleability of the item - and maybe the value - more so for classic lenses and equipment.

I can bloody well guarantee it does if you're talking Rolex watches. Ask me how I know
but suspect with cameras you might get a small premium when selling with a box, buyers would always choose a boxed item over an unboxed item all other things being equal, and if you are posting it off the original box comes in very useful. For those reasons I always keep the boxes.

Back