Does your camera dictate your photography or does your photography dictate your camera?

• Thread starter PhotographyBuff
  • Start date
P

PhotographyBuff

Answer it in two senses: how it actually is in your experience, and how you believe it ideally should be.

I currently have 3 cameras and depending which combination I take with me on the day it does dictate what I'm shooting. I can choose to take them all but its end up being to heavy. Or take one and cant be bothered to change lenses. Ideally I think you should think in advance of what sort of subject you want to shoot and then get the camera suited the best for this sort of work...

I mostly want a smallish camera I can carry with me to take pictures without attracting too much attention. A CSC's and a compact normalish field of view prime (something between 28 and 85mm) suits me best for this but if I wanted to shoot the moon or birds in flight I'd need a completely different setup :D So, my needs dictate my kit and also dictate what I can do with it. I can't be as invisible as I want to be with a 600mm lens and I can't shoot a detailed shot of the moon with a 35mm lens :D

Ideally I'd like people to stop viewing me as a potential kiddie fiddler / weirdo just because I'm a bloke with a camera.

For myself the camera is a tool - and the right tool for the job is they way I want to go and try to go.

If you have only one type of camera, say a view camera, then it will definitely dictate your photography - possibbly to 'scapes , architecture and product photograhy and portraits , in other words relatively static subjects .
I found using a TLR did not suit most of my style of photography so I sold it after a year, even though the IQ was "magical".

Nowdays I am lucky enough to own enough gear (bodies and lenses) so that I can choose the right tool for the job (almost always).

Last edited:
What is it in your experience, and how do you think it should be?

In my experience, it's both to some extent. But I suspect that in the long term, the camera is dictating my photography; unless I were to be prepared to make quick purchases of new and better cameras.

I think ideally, there should have been no camera dictation of our photography. But that is impossible. So the next best thing would be to have the smallest camera with the best image quality, lens, performance and at a reasonable price. It should have a lot of zoom and a bright lens. Its ISO 12800 should be as good as its ISO 80!!!

You know people would have a lot more respect for you if you'd just admit your a researcher or such like for a photography magazine

Probably unlike you, I am a "thinking photographer". And I think this forum should have a section called "Philosophy and Psychology of Photography"!

Probably unlike you, I am a "thinking photographer". And I think this forum should have a section called "Philosophy and Psychology of Photography"!

Is that some sort of Descartes theology? You make the assumption I don't think about photography, oh how very wrong you can be, sadly I spend a far greater time thinking about photography than actually doing it these days

My photography subject dictates the equipment I buy, I'm not someone that always need the latest gear, but as some of my work requires
high ISOs I will update camera bodies if something better comes on the market.
Lens, accessory wise I have all I need ATM

It used to be that my gear dictated the photography. In its most simple form, the slow autofocus on some just eliminated certain types of photography. No I am more mature in my photography, know what I like and want, my photography dictates the gear that I buy.

In my experience, it's both to some extent. But I suspect that in the long term, the camera is dictating my photography; unless I were to be prepared to make quick purchases of new and better cameras.

I think ideally, there should have been no camera dictation of our photography. But that is impossible. So the next best thing would be to have the smallest camera with the best image quality, lens, performance and at a reasonable price. It should have a lot of zoom and a bright lens. Its ISO 12800 should be as good as its ISO 80!!!

Depending on what you shoot and possibly if you are a pro or an amateur you may not need to be on the upgrade cycle - if you buy half decent gear to begin with.
If you shoot hand held in low light and/or sports etc then upgrading may be necessary (especially if you are a pro).

As a hobbyst with an ocassional "client" I tend to hang onto bodies/lenses for a long time - basically 'till they wear out.
For example my Canon 5D (C2005) is still ok for general purpose photography and 'scapes..
My Canon 40D (mid range camera) purchased in 2007 was replaced by a Canon 70D (missing a 50D, 60D upgrade) in 2015 when it started to show signs of failure (at around 250,000 photographs). I am planning to keep the 70D for a similar time.

I did add 2 mirrorless bodies along with two fast zooms lenses in 2015 (the first major purchase since 2008) to help with the classical music concert photography (a "client").
They meet my needs for the forseeable future for general purpose photography (bit not high speed action where fast accurate focus tracking is required).

As Nick (post #15), yes to both. I have kit for most situations that I want to shoot and if there's something I want to shoot that needs something different, I'll possibly get the kit to suit.

Bit of a daft question IMO.

If you were stuck taking pictures of things due to your camera are you really into photography or just don't care enough about it to get the right tools.

There are cameras that are a jack of all trades with wide angle and long zoom and loads of people buy them and are happy. But they probably have not taken the next step into photography as an art, hobby or job.

When I realised I wanted to take proper pictures I first tried to learn how and still am. I have then tried to buy the right tools for the job. What I have wanted to take pictures of has changed so have my tools.

Ideally it should be that all equipment should be better and cheaper especially a 500mm f4 lens. But there it always a cheaper make doable option in the meantime.

Answer it in two senses: how it actually is in your experience, and how you believe it ideally should be.

Both. How could it be otherwise?

I can't make much sense of this question. It smells a bit like the kind of silly question that bored product design tutors ask students.

OP asks - however sneakily ;)

Does your camera dictate your photography or does your photography dictate your camera?

After giving this much thought I have to give my highly experienced, professional, considered response to this 2 part questions as...

No

Yes

HTH and makes it into the article :)

Dave

Yes, the camera does dictate my photography - up to a point. As others have said, the camera is just a tool. If I had to take up a concrete driveway, I could do it using a screwdriver if I really had no choice, but I might equally decide to leave the driveway alone. It's the same in my experience with cameras. They all, without exception, get in the way for certain types of photography, and make me decide to leave some types of photography alone if I have a particular one out with me. Some camera types are more inhibiting than others for me, and a standard eye level camera is the type I least get along with. Waist level finders or view cameras suit me far better.

Ideally? Well, a digital camera with the dynamic range of black and white film, with a sensor at least 5x4, that has a full range of movements, doesn't require batteries to run, and can be used as a view camera or with a range of different viewfinders, from eye level (if one must) to waist level. And small and light. That would suit me resonably well most of the time. Possible? More like impossible, I think.

I have cameras from 5x4 down to half frame; different horses for different courses.

I have cameras from 5x4 down to half frame; different horses for different courses.

Or one could say that in photography it's easy to succumb to the need for bigger and more kit. For me it's a tool to capture an image.

Look at the World Press photo of the year, taken by Warren Richardson on a 5D mk2, 24mm focal length, f1.4, iso 6400. Grainy, out of focus, yet would that perfectly sharp, well exposed photo make it a better image. There's something about the way its been captured, almost as though a still from a security camera that creates the impact capturing the clandestine moment.

_88335743_warrenrichardson-hopeforanewlife.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking for the number to indicate the available marks when a question is as stilted and impersonal as this.

It might be worth occasionally opening with your own view on the subject to avoid sounding like a researcher or an exam board.

To assume there's an "ideal" in relation to this question, or even to assume there's a "better" camera is already making assumptions about what photography is to the individual photographer.

You don't read the forum very much, do you? That's far too close to discussions of the relationship between art and photography.

Last edited:
whether i have a camera with me dictates whether i take photos - beyond that what i want to take dictates what I use

Or one could say that in photography it's easy to succumb to the need for bigger and more kit. For me it's a tool to capture an image.

Look at the World Press photo of the year, taken by Warren Richardson on a 5D mk2, 24mm focal length, f1.4, iso 6400. Grainy, out of focus, yet would that perfectly sharp, well exposed photo make it a better image. There's something about the way its been captured, almost as though a still from a security camera that creates the impact capturing the clandestine moment.

_88335743_warrenrichardson-hopeforanewlife.jpg

I was having a discussion along these lines this weekend. Really thought provoking, and I am still conflicted as to how I feel. Its incredibly emotive, and gives a good insight into how I imagine the scene unfolded. Anyway, I wont sidetrack the thread. Good shout Byker!

I'm looking for the number to indicate the available marks when a question is as stilted and impersonal as this.

It might be worth occasionally opening with your own view on the subject to avoid sounding like a researcher or an exam board.
y.

10/10 for techincal merit, 2/10 for artistic interpretation ;)

Must admit, that's pretty much my reaction to your usual form of interrogation of the forum *** as well...

perhaps people may be more inclined to participate if you were to actually join in the greater community a little more - perhaps even (dare I say it) share some of your work in the photo-sharing areas...

*** for those who don't get my drift, here's a selection of threads started by the OP... Easy to see why certain members might consider this account to be more of a research project than a participating member of our community...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-inspires-your-photography.614961/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-is-the-point-of-photography.613970/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/why-do-you-take-photos.612284/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ty-of-the-equipment-of-a-photographer.556282/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-do-you-look-for-in-your-photography.525170/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...e-photos-considered-more-artistic-why.507902/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-judgement-changed-over-the-years-how.502351/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...you-identify-with-the-photos-you-take.501771/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/what-is-the-aim-of-photography.500480/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...y-computerized-the-art-of-photography.500453/

Last edited:
I'd argue that this is similar to cars. Does your driving style influence your choice of car, or does your car influence your driving style?

For me, it comes down to money. Not everyone can go out a buy a Ferrari or Lambo, but if they did, they'd probably drive hard and fast. Some people want a reliable car and don't care about speed or handling. Others struggle with the budget they have so they'll buy a reasonable car and then tune it.

Similarly, I would love to have a full frame camera like the 1DX. I'd love to be able to go buy a 70-200 f/2.8 without any consequences. But for me, photography is a hobby and an expensive one which means I need to think and budget. I can't always get that photo in low light. I can't always get that lovely bokeh. But I'm learning to use the gear I can afford and try to adapt to it and get the best out of it.

Hi

What address shall we send the invoice to?
That's the invoice for using our member base for research.

How can you judge someone and deliver a verdict just like that. Just delete my account. I am through with you and your forum of thought-averse paranoids.

How can you judge someone and deliver a verdict just like that. Just delete my account. I am through with you and your forum of thought-averse paranoids.

Thought averse paranoids that you seem happy to question.
Are you the modern face of online journalism?
How disappointing.

Thought averse paranoids that you seem happy to question.
Are you the modern face of online journalism?
How disappointing.

Of course you wouldn't recognize bullying when you are a bully yourself! (see the other thread).

Of course you wouldn't recognize bullying when you are a bully yourself! (see the other thread).
Strangely, I'm secure enough not to lose any sleep over your insecurities.

So what actually is your response to the point raised above? I'm more than happy to have discussions around photography, anything other than technical aspects, however your posting style does lead some to suspicions about your motives. Now it might be thats your area of interest, in the history, in the writings behind photography (And I've discovered theres a lot of it).

So instead of throwing toys out the cot, or being mysterious in your answers, how about engaging in discussion

So what actually is your response to the point raised above? I'm more than happy to have discussions around photography, anything other than technical aspects, however your posting style does lead some to suspicions about your motives. Now it might be thats your area of interest, in the history, in the writings behind photography (And I've discovered theres a lot of it).

So instead of throwing toys out the cot, or being mysterious in your answers, how about engaging in discussion

This! Just once would be nice.

FFS people. So what if he/she is a researcher. Who cares? Are you all hiding something?

well - from the forum rules, it's pretty much clear what the stance is on that...

Prohibited Content
The following content is prohibited on Talk Photography

• Discussions pertaining to a particular instance of a crime.
  • Discussion or encouragement of copying, distrubuting or downloading copyrighted material.
  • Press releases, market research, surveys (Unless pre-approved with Admin)
  • Affiliate, commission, or referral links.
  • "Vote for me" requests.
  • Anything else that could be deemed as socially unacceptable, or not within the spirit of our community.

Mainly the highlighted part, though it could come under the "not within the spirit of our community" if the person running the research is also being deceptive as to why he's asking the questions...

Back