Domain name hosting - a licence to print money!

Was that an introductory offer though, it seems very low.
I'm paying £6/month for domain/emails and webspace it's for a (farm) business though, with VAT off it will be £60p.a.

.com can be had a fair bit cheaper if you move it to cloudflare. First you have to setup site DNS through them (well recommend). Still no .UK support.

The new fancy domains are freaking expensive.

I have a domain name I use for my website (a .co.uk) but was offered a (.uk) some years ago and paid for it but have never transferred my website. Next time they bill me, I must make up my mind and drop the unused version. I had hoped that some one would offer me money to release the domain name but it has not happened,

Dave

2015 - £6.98
2017 - £15.98
2019 - £19.98
2021 - £23.98

All plus VAT!

Is it a short and curlies scenario? In other words, once they ensnare you, you are stuck forever at their mercy?

Excuse me for being dim but can you transfer the name to another host?
Yes, it’s easy but if you have web hosting you will need to move your website to the new hosting company.

Excuse me for being dim but can you transfer the name to another host?

I believe so. I think the capability to do it is difficult to find (obviously) though, and my experience is that [it feels like] they're all price gouging. Especially when the price of storage and compute is going down year on year compared to 2015. Suspect these companies are doing what mine is - whacking everything on the Google/Amazon/Azure cloud, and getting rid of on-prem infrastructure (as well as the people who maintain it).

I also think there's an element of short and curlies. If you've built a brand around "myphotosareawesome.com" you've got to keep paying for it. It's why I keep hosting and domain separate. I can always move either one around as I see fit.

[/grumbly rant]

Yes, it’s easy but if you have web hosting you will need to move your website to the new hosting company.
You should be able to point a hosted website to any domain, whether the domain is registered by the web-hosting company or not.

@jerry12953 What is the TLD for your domain? non .uk ones tend to cost more.

My .co.uk domains are charged at £9.83 a year. They have gone up a bit over the years.

In 2003, I bought my domain for 2 years for £6.79.
2 years later I renewed it for the same.

I’ve renewed it every 2 years since and the last payment was £23.98!

I'm expecting a bill for £30 for 2 years of domain (.com) use in March. Someone else set this up and I have taken over the admin. I pay about £20 for 2 years of .co. uk. It used to be £15.

@AndrewFlannigan I had a problem with Nominet asking me to verify my contact details for a domain I no longer owned. That was difficult to sort out. It was annoying because we had paid to transfer the domain and then I couldn't remove my details from it because I didn't own it.

Domain name registration has been a minefield for many years. To get a flavour of the chaos, start here: Nominet claims effort to replace its board with 'safe hands' is invalid, refuses to put it to member vote • The Register

Nominet are a non profit organisation and they went as low as £5 per domain.. I was at a nominet meeting (as proxy for a board member) where it was discussed what next sort of thing? money was piling up,, they couldnt print out certiificates as fast as selling domains (you used to get a cert) .. they litrally had more money than they knew what to do with.. they paid for a guest speaker from america all expenses paid.. the food at the meeting was nothing but extravagant ...they finally decided to have a sub comittee to decide what to do and that was just a way to spend more money really.. As you can imagine this was .. dunno maybe 20 yrs ago...

PS thanks for the link.. havent read the register in years :)

I recently had to renew my website with IONOS as it was set to auto renew and it had passed the renewal date by the time I had noticed. My renewal was £24 for 1 year but this is likely due to it being a .photography domain name. I decided to drop my previous .com name as the renewal was more than I expected. The .photography domain names were new back in 2018 and it simplfied my domain name but of course came at a cost. The .photography name was £20 per year on a 3 year contract back in 2018. It’s now a one year contract. it’s only gone up £4 so not as bad as it could have been.

It would be good if you could renew with any company as it feels like they have a monoploy on you once you’re with them. A bit of competition would be gold for keeping prices lower.

Back