Domains with numbers?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking about for domain names and most of what I'd hoped for is already gone. I do have the option to go for something including numbers rather than words but what do folk think of them?

Presumably it could make it slightly confusing unless it's well promoted?

I think the numbers would need to relate to the site identity in some way to work and would also need to be part of a short name (eg site5.com, uk2.net etc)

There are lots of tools around to help find domain names like http://amail.co.uk/brainstorm.htm.

I just put a couple of words in and it came out with photomotorsport.com as being available!

Generally it is advised to have a domain name that people will be able to understand and write when just told of it. Strange spellings can make things awkward as can numbers, although there are no rules as such.

If there is something that you are very keen on it doesn't really matter, as long as you are happy and have a way to promote it then everything is fine. They don't even have to be real words (think flikr etc)

Don't discount using hyphens either, and if you really think about it there are still some good domain names out there. I have a list of about 12 or so photography related ones that I was considering recently, in fact a couple of them are so good I may just register them anyway for future projects.

One last bit of advice, don't post a list of any that you are seriously considering anywhere, the number of times I have seen people lose out due to some scumbag that thinks it is funny to jump in there and register a domain first just for the hell of it.

agree with all above, other thing is try not to make it too long as well ! people need to remember what it is if they see it on a picture at an event etc and if its too long they will make a mistake and type it wrong, and you could potentially lose a sale !!

mfwild13 said:
I think the numbers would need to relate to the site identity in some way to work and would also need to be part of a short name (eg site5.com, uk2.net etc)

There are lots of tools around to help find domain names like http://amail.co.uk/brainstorm.htm.

I just put a couple of words in and it came out with photomotorsport.com as being available!
Hmm, good link, thanks. :thumb:
I know it's not obvious from the other thread but I need something which is going to cover both equestrian events and moto as far as the site is concerned. Just haven't got that far yet ;)

Ta Steve, I've seen domains registered by others as well so wasn't going to post them :)

Also I wouldn't be too bothered about trying to buy up all the different domain endings, maybe the main three (.net/com/co.uk) but even if you think of a name and one of those have gone check it out "live" by going to the page and also by referring to the "whois" to find out who owns it and when it is due to expire (sometimes you can grab a domain name this way).

If a domain has gone but it is being used for something completely different generally it won't matter to you or them that you have the same but with different .com/net etc. The only problem you may have is if you are a big multi national and someone has other domains to cash in on your success.

Generally I buy both .com and .net when available, when I was in the uk I would also try to get the .co.uk as well. I am seriously considering a domain that the .net has gone but is being used by a small company that sells something totally unrelated to what I want to use the name for, I figure that they are happy and our intentions would not affect each other at all.

HTH

One last bit of info...I don't know who you intend to use for buying the domains through but I recently used Register1 to buy up a couple of .com and .nets, normally I use 123-reg but Register1 worked out far cheaper than any other domain registrar I could find. Everything was painless and their control panel is ok and does the job too, Both domains were active and had propagated within 12 hours.

If you currently don't have a host, some are offering a free domain name with certain packages. Don't discount that route either but make sure that read the small print to ensure you own the domain name and you can do with it as you please.

Steve said:
but even if you think of a name and one of those have gone check it out "live" by going to the page

Been doing that, let's just say I got an unexpected return when I went to check one of the .com domains. :shock:

The other domains I have were through registron, hosting by tsohost. Register1 certainly looks very competitive :smilenod:

replied Ian

I use register1, always have done. Knew the guy personally when I registered my first domain there.

Never had any problems with them whatsoever.

Marcel said:
I use register1, always have done. Knew the guy personally when I registered my first domain there.

Never had any problems with them whatsoever.
Is that for the hosting as well?

I believe that Marcel, like myself has his personal site/s hosted with catalyst2. The same hosts that the site is on.

Yep, I use catalyst2, even seem to be on the same server as TPF! Which of course means when TPF is down my site is down :(

mango ?

To be fair to catalyst the last lot of problems has been caused by an account on that server that has been abusing their allotted resources and affecting everyone else. When I reported our issues the hosts were very good at addressing them and they closed the other account, since then everything has been fine.

They are also prompt at responding to tickets and always stick with things until they are resolved which is 100% better than some hosts.

For the money we can't really complain. :)

I use 1&1 Internet for domain registrations and a US hosting company called HostGator

1&1 are cheap for the domains and have an easy to use control panel to administer them, but I've read their customer service is not very good, which is why I hosted elsewhere.

Hostgator use a huge company to provide their servers and bandwidth called The Planet and have excellent uptime (mine is currently at 140 days 19 hours, or 99.94%). They offer more than most UK hosting companies, but at lower cost, have 24/7 support and actually answer the phones if you want to speak to someone personally, where they are prompt & polite.:thumb:

No, I think I'm on banana actually. Mango's a Windows box isn't it?

I also use 1&1 Internet for domain registrations and use a US company called Site5 for web/php/mysql hosting.

Pretty happy with both of them. Both very feature rich so very useful if you end up hosting domains/sites for family and friends.

No both mango and banana are linux based, the site here is on mango but my personal site is on banana :)

I have read many nightmare stories about 1&1 when it comes to attempting to move domains away from them, but as long as you are happy and don't forsee a need to switch then you should be fine. Just about everyone I know does recommend using a seperate domain registrar and host though, no matter which companies you chose.

Steve said:
I have read many nightmare stories about 1&1 when it comes to attempting to move domains away from them
Thats Germans for you ;)

uk2 charge £25 to transfer a domain away from them and you have to make a support call to find out how to do it. Can't recall what 1&1 charge but as you say, better to stick with a registration company and then pick your hosting company based on need/cost/support required etc etc.

Joe T said:
Are you having a laugh and just naming fruits? :p

Bit of both, they actually have named their different servers after fruits :D

mfwild13 said:
Thats Germans for you ;)

uk2 charge £25 to transfer a domain away from them and you have to make a support call to find out how to do it. Can't recall what 1&1 charge but as you say, better to stick with a registration company and then pick your hosting company based on need/cost/support required etc etc.

Don’t know what it has to do with Germans, I read it on an English website!!

As I said its only what I have read, however its not how much or how to do it, its that they make it difficult to actually do it. Having not used them myself I can’t substantiate the claims to read it as you will.

Steve said:
Don’t know what it has to do with Germans, I read it on an English website!!
1and1.co.uk are part of the Schlund group. All their hosting used to be done in Germany but they now have four global data centres.
See also www.1unde1.de
I was only trying to be mildly humorous but failed completely :doh: :getmecoat

uk2.net for all my bits, zero complaints and good interface

Good names :) The eospics one may be worth something in the future too.

When I was looking for www.askbod.com a couple of years ago, I had just left another forum where the owner acted as though he owned the internet.

I checked for a laugh, and www.iowntheinternet.com was available. It's gone now though :( I should have registered it.

There are some variants of it available, but they don't pack the same punch as that one.

What really annoys me are these companies that register anything and everything they can, purely for 'search engines', or to sell on.
They shouldn't be allowed.

Back