Daily Donnie's 365 - 2014

Cheers :)

Been busy and had a bad back to boot for a few days which is why Ive been quiet :-( Still, on the mend now and have a new lens to play with too which (weather permitting) shall be put to use tomorrow.

But in the meantime.

Day 34 - Our Chickens

This is our current 3 chooks that are weathering the storms fairly well at the moment, in fact they seem pretty cool about the wind and rain. Alright for some.

I was testing a wide angle lens for this one, hence it's a snap really.

034-365-2014
by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Day 35 - House in Stevington

Exactly what the title says, but I was walking past and loved the cottagey (is that a word?) feel and the contrast of the brown archway against the green hedges leading to the doorway.

035-365-2014

Day 36 - Cardington Sheds

While the sun was out and while there arent another 1000 or so houses built around them yet, I thought I should get another shot of this iconic landscape so near to our doorstep.

036-365-2014

Day 37 - Stevington Windmill

This again was making use of my ultra wide angle lens. Its not often we seem to get broken cloud recently, its either a grey solid blanket or nothing at all.

I thought that given the rolling clouds as a backdrop to the wonderful windmill that it looked much better as a Black and White than as a colour shot as it gives it more depth.

037-365-2014

Day 38 - Where there's smoke

This is a shot with my new fisheye of Bedford's old Town Hall which is scheduled for demolition.
It appears a fire started at about 3am and took approximately 10 engine tenders to get it under control.

038-365-2014

Day 39 - Converging Lines

This is the Silver Faces sculpture on Silver Street in Bedford Town Centre.

I used the fisheye effect to emphasise the converging line effect to try and give them a dramatic presence.

039-365-2014

Day 42 - Robin

So, I think this may well be the first time I've captured a Robin in a half decent shot.
Wildlife really isn't my forte when it comes to photography I have to say, but I do enjoy the challenge!
Whilst I'm pleased I got the shot, I know it's not great as that big branch cutting the shot in two's very distracting. Still, maybe next time.

042-365-2014

Day 43 - HP Sauce

A close up of a simple bottle of HP Brown Sauce, my favourite!

Yes, it’s not exciting I know but it’s windy and raining outside so when life gives you lemons, think of something else to take a picture of!

Anyway this was shot using my shortest manual extension ring, lit purely by the grey daylight coming through the patio doors and just to make it a bit different and creative I’ve given it a vintage look using a sepia tone and heavy vignette.

043-365-2014

Day 44 - Bedford Corn Exchange

From wikipedia:

The building (constructed in 1874) was designed to be a concert venue and meeting space, as well as a place of business. The basement contained offices, cloakrooms, kitchen, hall keepers room and dining rooms. The build took two years and the total cost was £9,000. It replaced the 'Floral Hall' building across St Paul's Square which had been constructed in 1849.

The BBC Symphony Orchestra used the Corn Exchange between September 1941 and July 1945 for public concerts which were broadcast to the nation. The BBC Music and Religious Departments moved to Bedford when it became too dangerous for them to be based in London or their wartime home, Bristol. Around 400 musicians, staff and engineers moved to the town during World War Two.

In 1944, the BBC Proms came to Bedford. Since their birth they had been performed in The Queen's Hall in London which was destroyed by bombs on 10 May 1941. They moved to the Royal Albert Hall until that too became in danger and they transferred to the Corn Exchange for the rest of the 1944 season. The Corn Exchange played host to many star names during World War Two includingGlenn Miller, Bing Crosby, Marlene Dietrich, Vera Lynn, Bob Hope, Humphrey Bogart, Gracie Fields, David Niven and Yehudi Menuhin. During this time the Corn Exchange was also used as an Armed Forces Canteen.

In 1995, the Philharmonia Orchestra began a residency at the Corn Exchange. It is still one of the homes of the orchestra today.

044-365-2014

Day 45 - Bubbles

These were a lot harder to catch than I thought!

I used some blowing bubbles from the pound shop but every time they landed on the surface they popped, the trick seems to be to blow them onto a wet surface, i.e. where there's a film of water already but you have to be quick as they do move on the water!

045-365-2014

Day 46 - Mineral Water

Shot in broad daylight on an ironing board in my dining room, but with the curtains closed nearly all the way just allowing a chink of light to act on the edges of the glass and the bottle.

046-365-2014

Did you use mineral water then? I've not looked in the 52 threads yet deliberately to be honest, I actually started a 52 last year and the same theme came up and I shot it then too. Just checked and the one I shot was Week 31 last year :)

Week 31 - Mineral

Day 47 - Vespa at Wicksteed Park

This is one of a few pictures taken at a local Scooter parts fair that's held twice a year at Wicksteed Park near Kettering in Northamptonshire.
Considering the weather had been gales and floods all week, Sunday turned out to be gorgeous!

047-365-2014

Back