Don't lose your composure over composition...

Gets my vote for post of the day. Useful and concise.

Orphan image I presume?

not yet but it will be when I rip and burn it - although to be honest I'd be surprised if "anyone stole an unsharp and mediocre shot"

Post 15, from focus on focus.
Did you or did you not post this?

Yes. I said that. Guilty. And the reason I said that is because... Drum roll.... I'm a graphic designer. Duh.

Why would someone pretend to be a graphic designer though? If I was going to pretend to be something I'd pretend to be something impressive. Graphic design is usually very routine. The work I do is also usually boring, glorified page layout. Trust me, if I was lying I'd be a.....

Good question that, hat would I pretend. Hmmmmm.

I rarely make it this far north in the forum. It's been emotional:D

I said something reasonable? Lol. You hear that everybody? Mr reasonable... I like being reasonable.

Well, I am not as much of an arrogant ass as you are so if you make the occasional comment that makes sense, I am happy to acknowledge it. I don't know quite why you seem to have to make that into some kind of sarcastic comment, but I assume it's due to either your personality issues or the persona you have created.

Yes. I said that. Guilty. And the reason I said that is because... Drum roll.... I'm a graphic designer. Duh.

So how come you have no knowledge of copyright law then ?

Well, I am not as much of an arrogant ass as you are so if you make the occasional comment that makes sense, I am happy to acknowledge it. I don't know quite why you seem to have to make that into some kind of sarcastic comment, but I assume it's due to either your personality issues or the persona you have created.

Steady on, Sam. If I was as insulting to you or anyone else the orderlies would be thinking of banning me. A bit harsh for no good reason since I wasn't out to mock you, but that's ok.

By inference you are accusing Simon, of being a liar,
For the fact that you were.
So at least we cleared that up (y)

Steady on, Sam. If I was as insulting to you or anyone else the orderlies would be thinking of banning me. .
Oh no, we are having way too much fun for that,
There hasn't been any decent TFI Friday threads, since I was made "poacher turned gamekeeper"
And its only Monday too (y)

Oh no, we are having way too much fun for that,
There hasn't been any decent TFI Friday threads, since I was made "poacher turned gamekeeper"
And its only Monday too (y)

Only because some people loose the plot when that happens :( now where did I put my hard hat...rules what rules every true artist knows there are no rules only guidelines :D

Only because some people loose the plot when that happens :(
I'm gonna take issue with you over that Matt.

I never had one to lose. :D

(To lose?, makes me sound like a short French Artist that was fond of a drink or 3 )

(or a long walk, Ok Ok that last bit was really terrible :coat: )

Last edited:
Nope but you can think about composition and framing when you set your hide up - and as to the various excuses, I thought you didn't want poor photos to be excused for any reason - after all we don't "do you any favours when we tell you that a shot that's crap isn't" do we - it "won't help you learn" after all, and you'll just go through life as "a hopelessly inept photographer."

Environmental is great - but you still need to think about composition , other wise its just a record shot

this blunt and honest business isn't so much fun when it's your photo in the spotlight is it ?

Whilst I don't disagree with most of that, you overlook a few things. First thing, most importantly, is that using the equipment I had at the time, razor sharp focus would not have been possible.

Second thing, the branch the kingfisher is on in the photo, I wasn't set up for. I was set up for the other branches which gave me the softer shots.

BTW, be as blunt and honest as you like, it would be impossible to offend me.

Third, I like the composition. I could change it in post but since I regard it as a rather valueless photo owing to the lack of light/sharpness, doing so holds little appeal.

Fourth, what you call just a record shot indicates to me that you have never photographed kingfishers. They are arguably the most elusive, fast, evasive, people-hating, birds to photograph anywhere. They are also very small. Thus, a good record shot of a kingfisher, one that had tack sharp focus, is something I and many others would be glad to add to the collection.

I'm gonna take issue with you over that Matt.

I never had one to lose. :D

(To lose?, makes me sound like a short French Artist that was fond of a drink or 3 )

I did see you nailing wanted posters up round lower MK that one time though, Wanted "large plot" must contain hardened bunker, should ideally come with live in monkey butler :D

In order news did you see the new Canon 18-400LL IS PFM it's double L because it just that good and features all new Perfect Focus Motor

I gotta laugh at some of you lot. The guy's got you tied in knots and you don't even realise it. Great reading tho, carry on I'm really enjoying this.:D

..........and he's Scottish too. Get in. Up yer kilt:cool:

By inference you are accusing Simon, of being a liar,
For the fact that you were.
So at least we cleared that up (y)

Since we're in the playground...

"sir, sir, he called me a liar also..."

I actually think the five bits of advice in the first post ought to be taken on board by more photographers. Particularly the bits about looking at and studying art - although I disagree with the out of hand dismissal of reading about art and of the value of modern/abstract art. It might be amusing to mock the idea of screwing up your eyes when framing a photo, but it's actually very helpful in judging composition. Turning prints upside down or looking at them in a mirror (or flipping on a screen) are other useful tricks for that.

I still think it's Joe.

Then again, it could be **** prepping on 31/3 for the reveal on 1/4.

The photo lacks sharpness but that wasn't a failing as such.......

Hold on one cotton pickin' minute
So because it's yours, the lack of sharpness Is not a problem?

How long was I asleep??? :eek: :confused:

he's having problems keeping this up.

Over on the focus thread he demanded: I require hard evidence
but then later followed someone elses post with; But nothing you or I or anyone says in here is required to be delivered with supporting evidence. That's important.

I actually think the five bits of advice in the first post ought to be taken on board by more photographers. Particularly the bits about looking at and studying art - although I disagree with the out of hand dismissal of reading about art and of the value of modern/abstract art. It might be amusing to mock the idea of screwing up your eyes when framing a photo, but it's actually very helpful in judging composition. Turning prints upside down or looking at them in a mirror (or flipping on a screen) are other useful tricks for that.

Thanks for that constructive and useful contribution, Ed. I think people should look at art more anyway, it's good for the soul. I used to draw and paint rather than take photographs and my focus back then was more on the technique of artists. I've given up drawing and painting and so the tecnique is less important to me, leaving me to focus more on the overall shape but it's good.

If I was learning photography, I'd put as much emphasis on understanding and experimenting with composition as I would on learning what the buttons on the camera do. Good composition can really make a stand-out difference and I think a lot of people are either scared of it or just neglectful of it.

he's having problems keeping this up.

Over on the focus thread he demanded: I require hard evidence
but then later followed someone elses post with; But nothing you or I or anyone says in here is required to be delivered with supporting evidence. That's important.

You either misunderstand and are quite thick or you are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are a bit thick. So, let me explain.

In our debate about focus and the importance of sharpness, you introduced a reference to supporting evidence in order to bolster your case. That's fine, but we are required to see it. There's a difference between evidence and argument. Had you just made a reasoned point like everybody else, you would not be required to show evidence -- the reasoning would be there for us all to judge.

You might as well have pretended you sold a photo for a million pounds to some collector, that you are really handsome, are educated, and extremely well endowed. Without proof and being able to validate it, it's just words.

I can only assume you were simply shooting your mouth off.

... consider using a frame of some sort to hold out in front of you whilst composing.
It's easy enough sometimes to use both hands with forefingers and thumbs extended to approximate a rectangle. This concentrates your attention on what'll be in the frame. I don't do this routinely, but just when I need to clarify my intentions.

I don't know why such a lot of laboriously silly banter developed in this thread, which began with a valid viewpoint.

Last edited:
Hold on one cotton pickin' minute
So because it's yours, the lack of sharpness Is not a problem?

How long was I asleep??? :eek: :confused:

There isn't a lack of sharpness, there's a lack of light. In those circumstances with the equipment I had, i achieved the optimum level of sharpness possible. It's rather simple really.

You may be comforted to know that I have high standards and deemed it to be trash. I'd say high quality trash but trash nevertheless. T

There's a valuable lesson in all that. Sometimes the situation simply doesn't allow for a perfect photograph.

Sorry to interrupt the healthy debate, but I'd like to make an announcement.

At precisely one minute past one this afternoon, GMT, I intend to make a statement to the community of readers. This is not a drill. Might I suggest that all Internet Bampot leave be cancelled forthwith.

Thank you and good morning.

Gortch

There isn't a lack of sharpness, there's a lack of light. In those circumstances with the equipment I had, i achieved the optimum level of sharpness possible. It's rather simple really.

You may be comforted to know that I have high standards and deemed it to be trash. I'd say high quality trash but trash nevertheless. T

There's a valuable lesson in all that. Sometimes the situation simply doesn't allow for a perfect photograph.

Yet you kept that and deleted your nieces? First steps what odd priorities you have, keep a photo that can be improved/repeated with skill/time/equipment yet delete an image that will never be repeated and would have a lot of sentimental to several people :wacky:

It's easy enough sometimes to use both hands with forefingers and thumbs extended to approximate a rectangle. This concentrates your attention on what'll be in the frame. I don't do this routinely, but just when I need to clarify my intentions.

I don't know why such a lot of laboriously silly banter developed in this thread, which began with a valid viewpoint.

Did you not see the 'Focus on Focus' thread? I suggest you have a read. You will then see why no-one is taking this clown seriously.

Sorry to interrupt the healthy debate, but I'd like to make an announcement.

At precisely one minute past one this afternoon, GMT, I intend to make a statement to the community of readers.

Gortch
And I have this overwhelming desire to ban you at precisely 11:59 :p
So readers, shall we take a vote?
:D

Brilliant LOL, please stick around Gordon :)

Don't feed the troll. The image is posted on here, he's been told that, also that I only post 800x600res images on the internet so he wouldn't know if it was sharp or not. That doesn't stop his arrogance though :)

I'm surprised he's posting during the daytime. Must be a teacher training day

Last edited:
And I have this overwhelming desire to ban you at precisely 11:59 :p
So readers, shall we take a vote?
:D

May I remind you this is not a democracy, so how can we have a vote to ban someone? :D god if this stuff starts going to a public vote you'll start thinking you can put in expenses claims next

No, dont ban him. Im looking forward to the 1 o clock 'coming out' of Joes new character :p
But has it occured to you that statement, by Gordon, may have also been a double bluff? ;)

:D god if this stuff starts going to a public vote you'll start thinking you can put in expenses claims next
You'll find the expenses claims forms right next to the holiday forms Matt (y)

Back