Downhill Mountain Biking Flash??

Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't been to a downhill race before, but thinking about attending a local event just to take some photos. As most of the action will be in trees and probably backlit, what is the protocol for using a flash. I would assume it is a complete no-no, but have to ask anyway. p.s. the flash would only be used for fill and is not very powerful (canon 270EX).

Alternatively, i find the best lit spot i can and shoot close up with my 17-50 wide open.

Also, i have shot cross country and other races and i know for these 1/500 is ample to stop the action. What minimum shutter speed should i use for bikes hurtling through the woods at me?

Thanks

I am a novice at this, so perhaps I shouldn't comment… But I tried to take some shots in the woods using a slower shutter speed and panning. I preferred the ones that showed motion rather than those that froze the action. I experimented with flash and discovered I should have used second curtain sync, and also I should have reduced the power… sorry that's probably really obvious to lots of you, but I am a novice with flash.. and panning… I plan to try again when I get the chance

I'd have thought flash would be a no no in a race.

I'd be interested to hear what advice the experts have too :)

This is what I managed - when the flash didn't go off - which was an accident! Both taken at 1/30s f/8 ISO 400 lens at 70mm
(I haven't posted a pic in a while so hope this works)

Mountain Biking in the Woods 4
by BuzzleCup

and when the flash did go off - too much power! I prefer the other one.

Mountain biking in the woods
by BuzzleCup

Last edited:
Interesting bike! I prefer the first without flash but do like a couple with flash on your flickr page

Interesting bike! I prefer the first without flash but do like a couple with flash on your flickr page
My hubby - spends his money on bikes while I spend it on camera gear :)
I plan to have another play when I get the opportunity. I barely use flash, so I have an awful lot to learn. I was just trying to show the movement you get with a slower shutter speed.

I'm not sure on the official protocol but I don't think I'd be very impressed with a flash in the face when I'm downhilling!

I'd probably use manual and expose for the skin tones.

I am also attending a downhill bike race in March. I was told that flash is acceptable as many point & shoot cameras fire flash anyway.
I think if you used some big boy studio style flashes straight in the face someone might find a new use for a cycle pump ;) but at a reasonable distance in day light shot side on, the flash is only a minor distraction, no greater then sun flashes when going through the trees.

I like the flash shot but do agree there is too much. Your panning is really good.

I think it comes down to common sense, when I use flash it's off camera to the side and not blasting in the face of a rider and it just give a nice side light and a bit of pop.

I have seen in one DH race some chap behind a bush so the rider only see's him when he's 6ft away and he was firing a flash in there face's which it's not cool in my book and I heard plenty of riders bitching about him which I don't blame them.

but 9 out of 10 times don't use flash.

most riders are in the zone so to speak so a side flash or at 45 degrees wont phase them at all but I would never fire a flash straight on in there line of sight.

you can get some great shots using a wide angle lens but one thing to bare in mind is if that rider stacks it you are going to either brake your lens with a spoke in it or be chewing on a mouth of rubber or both so chose your spot very wisely next to a tree is always a good plan ... plus I would say stick a protective filter on the lens as well for all that flying mud and stones if you getting close to the action I nearly wreaked a 70-200 L lens worth £1800 due to flying stones standing next to a bern on a bend with flying stones and I was a good 20ft away.

I hope that helps

Steve

plus I would say stick a protective filter on the lens as well for all that flying mud and stones if you getting close to the action I nearly wreaked a 70-200 L lens worth £1800 due to flying stones standing next to a bern on a bend with flying stones and I was a good 20ft away.
Steve
Excellent advice, had never thought about a protective filter before. Have a CPL and a Variable ND. If my memory is correct the variable ND at it's brightest will still reduce light by around 1/2 stop and the CPL by more. Might have to source a cheap UV filter for the task.

Having raced and ridden DH for the last 20 years and now doing some race photography here....

https://www.facebook.com/bigmacphotography?ref=hl

I can say that i have never been bothered or had any problems using flash at the races at all. As long as you are sensible and don't have a huge bank of flashes then you will be fine.

Never had anyone one complain and couldn't get 95% of the shots without OCF.

IMG_8300 - Version 2
by nessiemac1, on Flickr

IMG_7039
by nessiemac1, on Flickr

and even world class riders are fine.

3. Brendan Fairclough

IMG_8419
by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Dave,

you at Rogate this weekend for the GP Honey?
I might see you there if I can get out of bed in time.

Steve

Dave,

you at Rogate this weekend for the GP Honey?
I might see you there if I can get out of bed in time.

Steve

Should be Steve. Look out for a baldy fat bloke wearing BigMacPhotography shirt.

Looking forward to getting out and seeing some old faces!!

So how do you guys use OCF? Speedlight on a tripod? Do you use a diffuser of any kind? Just wondering because I have some events coming up for the first time and not too sure about how to use flash in this situation?

Cheers

So how do you guys use OCF? Speedlight on a tripod? Do you use a diffuser of any kind? Just wondering because I have some events coming up for the first time and not too sure about how to use flash in this situation?

Cheers

Hi Steve,

One or two flashes on a lightweight tripod with no diffuser works for me.

Last edited:
Thanks nessiemac, I had almost given up on this one ;) I take it if you use 2 flashes you mean on the same tripod?

Steve, I've been using one flash so far but have just bought another flash for more power and or same power split between the 2 flashes but faster recycling. So using the same tripod with either a dual flash bracket or make your own like I've just done!!

Steve, I've been using one flash so far but have just bought another flash for more power and or same power split between the 2 flashes but faster recycling. So using the same tripod with either a dual flash bracket or make your own like I've just done!!
That makes sense, I will try with a single first, I have some running events to photograph but a bit worried about flash and reflective clothing as I have never really got into using a flash but about to buy a SB910. Perhaps glare will only be an issue for on CF and not OCF given the angles?

Back