Dragonflies - Communal Thread

Shot with: Nikon 1 V1, 1 Nikkor 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 & Marumi DHG200 +5
Never seen this with demoiselles before, excellent.

Never seen this with demoiselles before, excellent.
Thank you Graham! If you are interested to find out how it's done, I've written an article on my blog with tips how to shoot damselflies. In the article I also go into how to pick them up with your finger. There is also a short video (albeit in very bad quality) of me picking one up and returning it to its perch. :)

Thank you Graham! If you are interested to find out how it's done, I've written an article on my blog with tips how to shoot damselflies. In the article I also go into how to pick them up with your finger. There is also a short video (albeit in very bad quality) of me picking one up and returning it to its perch. :)
Very interesting, thanks

On a cool day, they are attracted to our body warmth so will readily climb on your finger, and can be quite hard to get off as they rather like the warmth. You can also pick them up by pinching their wings together carefully.

On a cool day, they are attracted to our body warmth so will readily climb on your finger, and can be quite hard to get off as they rather like the warmth. You can also pick them up by pinching their wings together carefully.
The last days were very warm here. Up to 30°C, maybe even more, not sure. As for pinching their wings: I wouldn't do that, because the risk of damaging their wings and basically sentencing them to death would be too great for me.

the images seem to be getting bigger and better lately Not to sunny up here in the northeast I think we well behind most other places by the different types posted
two from me

IMG_0268.jpg IMG_2448.jpg

not sure about this one - looks like a Darter or a Skimmer, but which - I'd be guessing at a Black tailed Skimmer - female
(yellow edges to wings?)

Mark will know

Darter_not_sure_2.jpg

Last edited:
Blue-eye or Goblet-marked Damselfly...... (I hope) ... but I'm a bit rusty this year

f22 but still fighting DOF

local pond SW France ........ not sure that they are seen in UK

Blue_eyes.jpg

not sure about this one - looks like a Darter or a Skimmer, but which - I'd be guessing at a Black tailed Skimmer
(yellow edges to wings?)
Mark will know

Darter_not_sure.jpg
Now that is a pretty one bill. [emoji106]

another from today

a Blue Featherleg (sometimes called a White-Featherleg Damselfly)

an immature female ........... hopefully Mark will confirm or otherwise

Blue_Feather.jpg

another from today

a Blue Featherleg (sometimes called a White-Featherleg Damselfly)

an immature female ........... hopefully Mark will confirm or otherwise

Blue_Feather.jpg
Hi Bill.

The Blue and White Featherlegs are different species. This one is a male Blue Featherleg, or Platycnemis Pennines. I love your Orange Featherleg shots.

Hi Bill.

The Blue and White Featherlegs are different species. This one is a male Blue Featherleg, or Platycnemis Pennines. I love your Orange Featherleg shots.

Thanks Mark ............ I think this is the situation

I missed legged out of my alternative name

The Blue Featherleg is also called the White-legged Damselfly. (Platycnemis pennipes)

The other sub is the White Featherleg - (Platycnemis latipes) ....... which is less widespread - they do occur "down here" in SW France ...... and I may have a shot from the past

but as you know they are only as big as small matchsticks .......... and I find them impossible to get near with a macro, (105mm lens), so always use a V1 + 300PF + 1,4TC ... which effectively gives me 840mm ...... I loose out on focus and ISO ... and DOF is always a problem

(interestingly I saw both in relatively still water - a large man made lake, used for irrigation - i.e. not flowing water)

Mark could you check my ID in post #453 above

Last edited:
Scarlet Darter, (but the black marks on the last two segment look Ruddy - but everything else is Scarlet, IMHO)

Nikon V1
Scarlet_D.jpg

Scarlet Darter and Violet Dropwing for comparison

Scarlet_D_2.jpg

Last edited:
Black Tailed Skimmer - a male x 2

seems to be far more males around than females

jpegs

V1
f8 - ISO 250 - 1/500th
BTS_male.jpg

D810
f8 - ISO 250 - 1/400th
BTS_male_2.jpg

Last edited:
Ruddy Darter - male

see post #469 for comparison - but again I would be grateful if Mark or others would comment

v hot today

V1 + 300mm

Ruddy_D_male.jpg

trying to find a White Featherleg - (Platycnemis latipes) but it is just too hot today

Last edited:
Blue-eye or Goblet-marked Damselfly...... (I hope) ... but I'm a bit rusty this year

f22 but still fighting DOF

local pond SW France ........ not sure that they are seen in UK

Blue_eyes.jpg

Hi Bill. This one is a male Goblet-marked Damselfly, Erythromma lindenii. It's actually the same family as the Red-eyed Damselfly, but looks more like an Azure. Not a UK species (yet).

Two Darters

Ruddy Darter

Ruddy Darter by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Common Darter

Common Darter by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

These two are often confused, because at first glance they appear very similar. The key difference is that Ruddy Darters have all-black legs and Common Darters have a yellow stripe which makes the legs look much lighter. The Ruddy is a much redder and darker insect, compared to the more orangey Common Darter. The leg colour applies to the females too.

Two Darters

Ruddy Darter

Ruddy Darter by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

Common Darter

Common Darter by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

These two are often confused, because at first glance they appear very similar. The key difference is that Ruddy Darters have all-black legs and Common Darters have a yellow stripe which makes the legs look much lighter. The Ruddy is a much redder and darker insect, compared to the more orangey Common Darter. The leg colour applies to the females too.

well done Mark, really good to have some narrative

Here's an Azure Damselfly - a male

saw quite a few today ...... although this was taken last year as today the sun was just too bright and we reached 40 degrees ....... clear blue skies

Nikon V1 + 300mm

Azure_Blue.jpg

Last edited:
Back