Dragonflies - Communal Thread

My first Large Red Damselfly of the 2016 flight season....

^ Click image to see more on Flickr

Hi @Gaz J. You are right on the Common Blue ID.

I think your Large Red is a female Azure Damselfly. I love the transparency on the abdomen.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. The second one must have emerged about an hour previously.

Can you ID this one please. I thought this was a Large Red but only by its eye but perhaps the same as the second above?

Large-Red-Damselfly-2016-1-small.jpg

Last edited:
Great shots of the Chasers. Living a lot further north, with very much cooler weather, we have seen very little evidence of dragonflies and only a few butterflies yet. Really appreciate you sharing these lovely shots.

Reactions: xmh
Hi @Gaz J - the two black stripes, one incomplete, on the side of the thorax suggest they are Azure Damselflies

Some Emperor Dragonflies between 1-3 hours after emerging. No.1 didn't make it as it obviously had an issue with pumping its wings up.

Had seen quite a lot of exuvia but no dragonflies so went down around 6-7am and found quite a few newly emerged.

Thanks for looking

Emperor Dragonfly

Emperor Dragonfly

Emperor Dragonfly

Emperor Dragonfly
Cold mornings are often the cause of the wings not expanding correctly. A real shame when the larva has spent 2 years growing, only to fail at the last moment.

Some excellent Odonata images for 2016 so far guys, keep em coming.

Ive been chasing Butterfly images the last few months...but i did squeeze in a couple of sessions this last week, for Damselfly/Dragonfly shots.

As ever, Im not sure of the exact species sometimes, so Im happy to be corrected, if i get it wrong!...Cheers Paul.

Recently emerged Damselfly (uncropped). 24th-May-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Banded Demoiselle (male). 24th-May-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Female Banded Demoiselle (uncropped). 29th-May-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Red-eyed Damselfly, immature Male? 29th-May-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Red-eyed Damselfly (male). 29th-May-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Ive been chasing Butterfly images the last few months...but i did squeeze in a couple of sessions this last week, for Damselfly/Dragonfly shots.

As ever, Im not sure of the exact species sometimes, so Im happy to be corrected, if i get it wrong!...Cheers Paul.

Recently emerged Damselfly (uncropped). 24th-May-2016. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Hi Paul. All ids correct. The one you haven't id'd ( the first one), is a White-legged Damselfly.

Hi Paul. All ids correct. The one you haven't id'd ( the first one), is a White-legged Damselfly.

Thanks very much for that ID Mark, thats a real bonus knowing its a White-legged too ;) because as a rule, i dont see many of those throughout the season.

The reason i didnt ID that 1st Damselfly, is because i wasnt sure what it was!!! Since it had not long emerged, i just didnt give it much thought, but i have to say, i didnt consider a White legged.

Cheers Paul.

I was wondering if someone could ID this damselfly for me. I realise that these images are probably not the best when it comes to ID! Looking at the images in this thread it looks like it could be an immature common blue... is that correct do you think?

IMG_2010 by David Poulton, on Flickr

IMG_2002 by David Poulton, on Flickr

Hi @DaveAP, I think you are right, it' s a recently emerged Common Blue Damselfly. If male, the blue colour appears over a few days.

Hi all, I dont normally come into this section but I would like a ID on these 2.
This 1st one I have no idea what one it is.
Please note that I`m in the South of France :)
Thanks
Maybe a Keeled skimmer ?
Fresh dragonfly.JPG

This one I guess is a Ruddy darter ?
Dragonfly profile 2.JPG
@Brachytron Your advice please.
Thanks

Last edited:

A brilliant series there, Paul. Well taken (y)

Back