Drowned drone - "new" replacement with old serial number

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
In my head, this is an odd one....

I crashed my drone into a river. I sent it, and the battery, back to the manufacturer to see if it could be repaired, and was told it couldn't - due to being water damage, it was a total loss, and I'd have to pay for a new device, but they'd offer me 15% discount. I paid around €350 for a new device. It's their smallest model, and that seems to tie in with the price of a new basic aircraft package (aircraft, battery, etc)

On receiving the new drone, I found that it had the same serial number as my old one. To me, that looks like they repaired my original drone and returned it. They also didn't send me a battery. They say they never received one.

There is no way that I would be pay €350 for a repaired aircraft - particularly when I was told I'd get a new one - when I can get a brand new one, with battery and everything else you'd expect, for the same sort of money. Though it seems these ones are hard to get hold of new as it looks like they've been discontinued, and they're about to be replaced with a new model. In fact, they seem to have released their replacement today for £369 or thereabouts....

So I went back to their support desk. This is where it gets a bit weird.

They claim that "You did receive a new craft, as is necessary when a unit is water damaged. However, your serial number has been reprinted and re-used. It's very much a new craft, with your serial number."

That makes absolutely no sense to me - why would a company take a serial number off a new device, and replace it with one from a failed device? I mean they'd have to physically remove a serial number that would have been put on by the factory.... They wouldn't do that, would they??? How would you ever identify your products for support purposes if you did that? They're trying to fob me off claiming they've sent me a new device when they sent my old one back repaired, aren't they???

Also couldn't test the thing, as they haven't sent a battery and said they never received one!

Tell me I'm not missing something here, please, because this just sounds crazy!

I know nothing about drones, but imagine they get a few knocks in use.
So does it look new?
Also if you bought a new device what difference does it make whether you sent a battery in or not?
You paid for a new drone so it should come with everything it usually does or am I missing something here?

Last edited:
I have no expertise but it sounds odd to me too.

One thing that comes to mind is if this 'new' drone develops a fault within the guarantee/warranty period the manufacturer would need to have an audit trail that shows the serial number has been transferred to the new machine or they might claim the serial number belongs to an older machine(ie your original one) that is out of warranty.

Is there anything (marks/scratches) on the replacement drone that makes it look like your original or does it look brand new?

Perhaps it is the way the manufacturer works but I've not heard of it before. Is the quote from the support desk in writing or was it just verbal. If only verbal it might be worth getting a hard copy of it, just in case.

Dave

I would keep everything in writing (emails) as evidence.
As for a replacement new drone, if they refuse, explain that they have not send you goods which you paid for.
If that doesn't get them to act, call your credit card company up and raise a dispute, give them all the evidence.

There might have been something to distinguish the old drone, but nothing obvious - it was pretty new and hadn't flown much. Only obvious thing was it was wet. ;)

All in writing fortunately.

@Tringa, yep, I think you're thinking is the same as mines. There would be no benefit to anyone by replacing a new serial with an old one- in fact quite the opposite, only downsides. Not sure I'd trust a manufacturer to remember to update records on that basis anyway!

@Riz_Guru yup, I'm thinking the dispute route is going to be the way this will go - partly why I was asking here to sense check.

@Mike.P - yep, think that's the way this is going to go!

@James Blonde

That sounds fishy at all too many points.......and surely you are not the only buyer to need such support! Therefore have you searched for any similar user experiences.

The fact that you mention buying in Euros I surmise the supplier is based in one of the EU countries, so bear in mind such issues may be discussed/posted on foreign language sites/forums???

Best of luck getting it sorted out to your satisfaction :)

@Mike.P Yeh, they've covered themselves with that one by saying they wouldn't return the old one. Let me dig out their email telling me it was written off....

The aircraft is suffering from liquid damage, and is required to be replaced due to safety reasons. Based on the damage suffered by your aerocopter, we suspect your battery is unsafe to use in flight. Please send in your battery for further analysis. If the battery has been in contact with liquid substance or suffers from sever physical damage, please send a picture of your serial number instead. According to the assessment made by our Engineering staff it has been discovered that this unit is a total loss. For safety and the proper functionality of the unit we advise a complete replacement. We understand the inconvenience of this and have therefore, applied a 15% discount for you in this case. Please be kindly noted that, the original unit will not be sent back according to after-sales policy.

@Box Brownie yeh, their European support / repair base is in the Netherlands, hence their prices are quoted in euros. I did do a quick search, but nothing obvious came up. Also didn't want their agents seeing that I'm effectively asking questions about their honesty, without sense checking this first!

Last edited:
Amazingly enough something similar happened to me many years ago after I had had a series of problems with a Contax camera. I asked for a replacement and when it arrived it had the same s/n as the original one. They said they had completely replaced the internals but it was the same body.

But Mike P's suggestion seems like a good one.

I wonder if the battery might have been removed due to LiPo rules.
It does sound feasible that the serial was transferred especially if the replacement was done under an extended cover arrangement.
I'd be annoyed about the battery missing but if it had been given a full refurb/repair it should be literally good as new.

Sometimes water damage is not that bad, there are cases of them being outside for weeks or underwater for days and still being OK provided not in salt water.
In a way it might be preferable if you had got your own back with repairs despite what they said initially, there have been instances of clearly repaired/refurbished units sent out as new to the extent of old flight records on internal memory.
It's not unreasonable to hold a refurbished units re-using parts such as the outer case if not damaged.

@4wd yeh makes sense about the battery - might ask that.

I don't think I would have minded if they had said they'd refurbish - it's probably what I was expecting when I originally sent it in), though I doubt I'd have paid that price. But because they explicitly said it would be a complete replacement, I was expecting a new device (at a new device price). The fact it was in the original unsealed box and the lack of battery was just adding insult to injury.

Last edited:
If your talking the seller of the Air and Mavics then expect nothing and hope for the best.

If your battery was over 6 months old then the guarentee would have been expired.

They do replace drones with a identical model and may transfer your serial number. The battery shouldn’t have been sent, they only ever ask for pictures and serials as sending a battery through the post that has been dunked in water is potentially very dangerous.

i may be just assuming the manufacturers but pretty much all drones are made in China and the won’t honour 14 day distance selling rules, they are a law unto themselves.

if you did pay by credit card, contact them and mention what’s happened and invoke a section 87 money back guarantee.

@Mike.P Yeh, they've covered themselves with that one by saying they wouldn't return the old one. Let me dig out their email telling me it was written off....

@Box Brownie yeh, their European support / repair base is in the Netherlands, hence their prices are quoted in euros. I did do a quick search, but nothing obvious came up. Also didn't want their agents seeing that I'm effectively asking questions about their honesty, without sense checking this first!

Hmmm! where there is potential confusion within communications with a company what I have done in the past is send them s bullet points summary of the comms.

To cover the "what you did" and what "they replied" etc. In your case covering/including that for your 350 Euro that they said this was for a discounted new replacement......and that based on that why did it not include a battery...........

By addressing it as a summary you ensure that it is phrased as a non-judgemental request for them to give you greater clarity in writing in a single email. Though not like your case there have been times when o have had to ask a few times on follow up emails because they did not answer every point of confusion.

Above, stating the obvious, stay polite and non accusatory ;)

They do replace drones with a identical model and may transfer your serial number.
Wow, genuinely surprised at that!

Yep, I think I'll ask them for a refund (they've got the aircraft now anyway - they asked me to send it back when I queried why I'd been sent my old aircraft) and if I get nowhere, go to CC company.

@Box Brownie yeh, I did worry I'd have trouble with communications - I'll do just that in my reply! :)

Reactions: Sky
The idea of a serial number is so that the manufacturer can refer back to the to the date it was made on (plus batch numbers and type of parts etc.), that's why it's called a 'serial' number. I've worked in the electronics industry most of my life and this sounds like bovine excrement to me.

I surmise that they have just dried out your drone and tested it to see if it still works. It did and they have returned it to you - I've seen this done many, many times in the repair industry, so it doesn't really surprise me if the manufacturer's are now doing it.

I'd follow the advice given and get yourself a new one if I were you.

Yep, that's what I've gone back with. There is no evidence that this is a new drone (in fact quite the opposite) and the price I've paid would suggest a new aircraft. Also mentioned the missing battery, but I think that's probably irrelevant.

Just ironic that the unnamed manufacturer today launched a new (and in most ways better) drone for pretty much exactly the same price I paid to get this one fixed - 15% discount they offered. If they offer me one of those, I'll take it, but I doubt they will.

Just an aside, their new drone is not a patch on the old drone you’ve hinted at. I own 2 drones from the manufacturer your thinking of. I wouldn’t even consider the new one.

really? hmm that's Interesting...

Ultimately I was considering a move up to their bigger v2 professional model, but then I heard rumour of a V3 coming out soonish. I'm more interested in still photography than video to camera size / res is probably more important, so half thought I could get a mini and use it to get a bit more flying experience and have a very lightweight (and below registration weight) aircraft, then sell on if / when the new one comes out. But if it's no better than the badly spelt knife / fork / spoon combo, then maybe I'll just take the refund and wait!

I've no idea why I'm persisting with not naming the company either... :shifty:

Last edited:
With the replacement is the warranty period extended, or still from your original purchase date? Does the proof of purchase or warrenty registration quote a serial numbe?

Just an aside, their new drone is not a patch on the old drone you’ve hinted at. I own 2 drones from the manufacturer your thinking of. I wouldn’t even consider the new one.
why? I ordered one today, neat little unit for the cash.

Last edited:
I don't understand why everybody is going round in circles. If its got the same serial number its the same machine. Whatever they may or may not have done to it.

I don't understand why everybody is going round in circles. If its got the same serial number its the same machine. Whatever they may or may not have done to it.
sorry that's simply not the case, DJI log your flights through the app after you login, it would make more than enough sense for them to transfer your original serial number to a replacement craft to maintain this traceability, from DJI support forum "the only time that the SN would be replaced for the aircraft itself is when there is a change to the main controller"

sorry that's simply not the case, DJI log your flights through the app after you login, it would make more than enough sense for them to transfer your original serial number to a replacement craft to maintain this traceability, from DJI support forum "the only time that the SN would be replaced for the aircraft itself is when there is a change to the main controller"
So if hed gone and bought a new new one he couldnt use it with the app or controller?

why? I ordered one today, neat little unit for the cash.
2k video, no raw photos, poor stability in anything but a fart of wind. No avoidance built in. 1860 battery technology not intelligent cells, I could go on. The Air is expensive but more than twice the drone for the money.

however !

As a fun drone probably you’ll get your moneys worth.

I would definitely ask for the one you sent them that they they couldnlt repair. It's still your property as they've allegedly sold you a new unit :)

If they can't - you've been screwed.

I would definitely ask for the one you sent them that they they couldnlt repair. It's still your property as they've allegedly sold you a new unit :)

If they can't - you've been screwed.
It’s in the contract to repair that they keep the original one so hardly been screwed. The biggest problem is your dealing with a Chinese company that make up their own rules.

Categorically refused to refund me.

Well that means it's a credit card dispute then.

I get that they're a Chinese company, but in this case, they're operating a repair base in Europe and therefore I'd have thought they'd be completely covered under European laws. Either way, it'll be a Section 75 claim - goods aren't what I was expecting.

Last edited:
In fact, the Email they sent has annoyed me. Maybe it's lost in translation, or maybe it's just rude.

Thank you for your message.

We will not be refunding you anything at all. We have replaced your unit, whether you believe it or not is irrelevant and we did not receive your battery nor does the UPS remove anything because they will refuse packages that are opened or damaged, as do we ourselves here.

Ergo, everything went according to plan and order in this place, again whether you agree or not. I am most happy to assist you with other inquiries and we will be happy to send the unit back to you without further payments as it is fine, however, we won't do anything more.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. We will be happy to assist you

In fact, the Email they sent has annoyed me. Maybe it's lost in translation, or maybe it's just rude.

Hmmm! ignoring the 'whether' battery was present or not in the damaged one you returned. Was it or was it not a discounted price for a new one and such offer was not that they would send just the drone and no other normally included parts? If so how can that possibly be seen as a discount..........it reminds of the 'bait & switch' stories I used to read of where the shop would tell the customer that the low price was just for the body and the box did include the battery, strap etc.

Best of luck getting your money back AOK via the CC company.

really? hmm that's Interesting...

Ultimately I was considering a move up to their bigger v2 professional model, but then I heard rumour of a V3 coming out soonish. I'm more interested in still photography than video to camera size / res is probably more important, so half thought I could get a mini and use it to get a bit more flying experience and have a very lightweight (and below registration weight) aircraft, then sell on if / when the new one comes out. But if it's no better than the badly spelt knife / fork / spoon combo, then maybe I'll just take the refund and wait!

I've no idea why I'm persisting with not naming the company either... :shifty:
There's always one a bit better expected shortly.
The V2 will do all you need, any improvements can only be quite modest unless you go up a step to interchangeable camera parts like the Inspire.
It's way too easy to get a bit swept along with the hype when a new one comes out, the Mini has it's place but plenty of short comings such as slower air speed, less stabiity in wind and no RAW stills.
The small size to carry is a plus, but the original larger Mavics are hardly big and ready to go in under a minute.

Yeh, RAW might be the killer for me then. Have to admit, this whole thing is seriously putting me off DJI, but they're the only ones with half decent drones. Did think Anafi at one point but not sure it really competes. Meh.

Distance selling regs were replaced by the consumer contract regulations a few years ago.

it may be the same thing, its not called the same thing. facts are facts, no need to appologise, mistakes happen.

Last edited:
Back