Beginner DSLR & Lens advice for Travel (1st Post)

There's a long thread for Olympus OM-D owners that you may find helpful.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-389#post-8476763

The two kit lenses - 14-42mm pancake lens and 40-150 telephoto are both excellent quality for the money. They're both available cheaply on used stores like MPB and Camera Jungle too.

In terms of must have lenses - my most used lenses are the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and the pancake 14-42mm.
The Panasonic f1.7 25mm and Olympus 45mm f1.8 are both worth a look and are very well priced especially used.

The thing you'll miss with just the kit lenses is low light performance. The E-M10ii stabilisation is very good for static subjects but you'll want something with a lower F number for really low light conditions.

I put all my Flickr pictures into albums based on the camera and lenses so you can take a look at what I've used all those lenses for if you want.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/albums

Bear in mind that the E-M10ii isn't weather sealed - as I understand it SE Asia can be very humid and wet. A used E-M5 and 12-40 kit lens would be worth considering too. The body and lens are both slightly larger but there's little to choose featurewise - they share the same sensor and IIRC stabilisation.

There's a long thread for Olympus OM-D owners that you may find helpful.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-389#post-8476763

The two kit lenses - 14-42mm pancake lens and 40-150 telephoto are both excellent quality for the money. They're both available cheaply on used stores like MPB and Camera Jungle too.

In terms of must have lenses - my most used lenses are the Olympus 17mm f1.8 and the pancake 14-42mm.
The Panasonic f1.7 25mm and Olympus 45mm f1.8 are both worth a look and are very well priced especially used.

The thing you'll miss with just the kit lenses is low light performance. The E-M10ii stabilisation is very good for static subjects but you'll want something with a lower F number for really low light conditions.

I put all my Flickr pictures into albums based on the camera and lenses so you can take a look at what I've used all those lenses for if you want.

Bear in mind that the E-M10ii isn't weather sealed - as I understand it SE Asia can be very humid and wet. A used E-M5 and 12-40 kit lens would be worth considering too. The body and lens are both slightly larger but there's little to choose featurewise - they share the same sensor and IIRC stabilisation.

Hey, thanks for taking the time out to reply. Had a peek at your Olympus albums and a really nice array of snaps! Nice work. I think the 14-42 and 17mm would definitely cover my needs.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for some good offers.

Hey, thanks for taking the time out to reply. Had a peek at your Olympus albums and a really nice array of snaps! Nice work. I think the 14-42 and 17mm would definitely cover my needs.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for some good offers.
You're very welcome - the E-M10ii is the best camera I've owned so I'm happy to recommend it.
It is however on it's way out - I noticed Norwich John Lewis had their display model with the EZ lens marked down to £264 (which is cheaper than used and has a 2yr guaranty) so they'll be getting scarce.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-where-and-best-price-thread.1325939/page-18#post-27202089

I bought my M10ii used from Camera Jungle - who currently have a 15% off code on their homepage - 12m guaranty on used.
https://www.camerajungle.co.uk/products/71638/olympus-om-d-e-m10-mk-ii-body

I've had the f1.8 and f2.8 Olympus 17mm and I liked them both - the 1.8 is a much nicer lens to use, the 2.8 is a bit smaller to carry.

Off-topic ...

@AMcUK, just looked at your Flickr, your album "Bangers & Smash 26th May", I was there too!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/photo114/photos/?tab=album&album_id=437696006778572

On-topic ...

I 2nd that opinion about Olympus cameras, I have the EM1 Mk2 for my motorsport photography, but I also have the EM10 Mk2 + 14-42mm pancake lens @AMcUK mentions, it's tiny and takes great pictures. I also have the 14-150mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens, which for such a huge zoom range is also very small and light as a feather. That's my travel kit for everyday snapshots.

There's a 'superzoom' that might be more convenient than carrying 2 lenses, although image quality at the long end may also be a bit sucky, but OK for snaps. That and a fast 17 or 25mm primefor low light.

I don't have that Oly but I do have an Em1Mk2. I have a few of the PRO lenses including the 40-150, 12-100 and 12-40 and the fisheye zoom. I have read that the 12-100 f4 is the perfect travel lens and it gives an extra stop of stabilisation. If you don't want the length, maybe the 17mm f1.2 and the longer zoom. MPB have used stock. Then there is the grey market - HDEW here in this country as one I have used and others on here. You could have a look at the work of some of the ambassadors eg Steve Gosling, Scott Bourne... the Olympus website will list them. Also, put the name of your camera / lens into Flickr and see if there is an image group there to peer at those. I know Charlie Waite has recently become an amabassador or a visionary [not sure which]. And I second the notion about going and picking some of these things up and see how they feel in your hands. When I wanted a mirrorless setup, I was convinced I would be going with Fuji but I did not like them or Sony at all.... good luck with your choice.

Off-topic ...
@AMcUK, just looked at your Flickr, your album "Bangers & Smash 26th May", I was there too!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/photo114/photos/?tab=album&album_id=437696006778572

On-topic ...

I 2nd that opinion about Olympus cameras, I have the EM1 Mk2 for my motorsport photography, but I also have the EM10 Mk2 + 14-42mm pancake lens @AMcUK mentions, it's tiny and takes great pictures. I also have the 14-150mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens, which for such a huge zoom range is also very small and light as a feather. That's my travel kit for everyday snapshots.

Nice pictures there - we had just gone to sit at the banking when the Superstox smash happened right in front of us. I was so glad that they were able to cut him free and he walked away. A reminder about the "Motorsport is dangerous" when you look at what was left of the car.

I took the early shots that evening on the EZ 14-42 and then 40-150. I only switched to the f1.8 45mm when it got properly dark.
You can do a lot with those two kit lenses.

There's a 'superzoom' that might be more convenient than carrying 2 lenses, although image quality at the long end may also be a bit sucky, but OK for snaps. That and a fast 17 or 25mm primefor low light.

There are a few superzooms of various lengths and prices - there's also Panasonic to consider too.
I've read a lot of people are happy particularly with the Olympus 12-100 f4 for travel but at £1200 I'd want it to be good!
https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/lenses/om-d-pen-lenses

Olympus have recently started bundling the 12-200 with E-M10iii but again at over a grand I'd think of several better ways to spend the same budget.
https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/cameras/om-d/e-m10-mark-iii-12-200mm-kit

I suspect the OP's budget doesn't stretch to a bag full of PRO lenses - personally I'd be nervous about carrying thousands of pounds of lenses around on a trip but that's what insurance is for I guess.

I don't have that Oly but I do have an Em1Mk2. I have a few of the PRO lenses including the 40-150, 12-100 and 12-40 and the fisheye zoom. I have read that the 12-100 f4 is the perfect travel lens and it gives an extra stop of stabilisation. If you don't want the length, maybe the 17mm f1.2 and the longer zoom. MPB have used stock. Then there is the grey market - HDEW here in this country as one I have used and others on here. You could have a look at the work of some of the ambassadors eg Steve Gosling, Scott Bourne... the Olympus website will list them. Also, put the name of your camera / lens into Flickr and see if there is an image group there to peer at those. I know Charlie Waite has recently become an amabassador or a visionary [not sure which]. And I second the notion about going and picking some of these things up and see how they feel in your hands. When I wanted a mirrorless setup, I was convinced I would be going with Fuji but I did not like them or Sony at all.... good luck with your choice.

Hi Chipper, thanks for the sage advice. I'll take it on board and check out that 12-100 lens you mentioned

Ahh just checked out the 12-100. Looks great but way out of my budget unfortunately. One day!

Not sure if I mentioned I have a Lumix GX-1. I just didn't fall in love with it - I NEED a viewfinder. I may sell/trade for a good lens on mpb. Just want to make sure that the E-M10 Mark II is a big upgrade?

Not sure if I mentioned I have a Lumix GX-1. I just didn't fall in love with it - I NEED a viewfinder. I may sell/trade for a good lens on mpb. Just want to make sure that the E-M10 Mark II is a big upgrade?

It's a 4 year old design, rather than 8 year old design. Image quality may not be enormously better, depending on what lenses you use, but it should focus faster, have less noise at higher sensitivity and some of the best IBIS in the business.

Panasonic GX80 is worth a look, very good value although not weather resistant, but neither is the EM-10 ii

Another M43 user here, they are fantastic for travel. I've never had problems with moisture in any equatorial country, if it's p***ing it down you can't take photos anyway. One thing to consider if you are staying in western style hotels, let the camera acclimatise when you go out, moving from air con to heat, everything will steam up. also, I really like that they are small enough to use a wrist strap (I use these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TogBitz-Fat-Strap-Paracord-Camera-Wrist-Strap-Black-Green-Handmade/172390166086 ) which makes it more secure from theft (had a camera nicked from a bag on my front in Xian) and more convenient.

My daughter got one in like new condition from Camera Jungle last week, sub £800 with the 15% off code
It was delivered to my address as i'm usually about so got to test it, very impressed indeed.
Ideal travel lens and at least as good as my 12-40, big plus of stabilisation too

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint all the Mirrorless fans out there but I'm going for the D3500. I'm planning to purchase and the Nikon 35mm lens.
With this and the 18—55mm VR kit lens (which I understand isn't amazing) - would you say that this set-up would be more than OK for a relative beginner like me and for my purposes (travel)?
Hi, I'm a beginner and only purchased my camera in April this year.........it's been on hols with me since. I bought the Nikon D5600 with kit lens and love it. Since purchasing the camera I've added a 70-300mm lens. The camera costs £650 but I purchased it on Ebay for £400....someone had an unwanted gift. I also purchased the additional lens on Ebay for considerably less than what it retails at, and all is fine. I find the Nikon fine to travel with.........not light but not too heavy and this is coming from a female. I absolutely love the Snapbridge on it which transfers the pics to my phone automatically and in minutes. I found the Canon equivalent too heavy for me. x

The Sony A6000 has suddenly become more appealing with its £100 cash back. Would I be making a silly move? Is the 16-50mm kit lens of good quality? Would really appreciate a good priced 2nd lens for this camera to take on my travels..

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm having a thought regarding the fact that the D34/3500 isn't waterproof. I'll be visiting Asia which has the tropical climate, so a lot of moisture in the air and monsoom rain. I'll obviously be looking to protect it from showers but was just wondering to what extent I have to be careful. Will the camera perform well in these conditions, particularly with the extreme heat and moisture?

Thanks

I went to South Africa a few years back (which isn't particularly humid) but the one day I really wanted to get some shots while in a big cat Sanctuary, my Canon 600D and lens weren't weather sealed. They fogged up so badly, they were unusable.

Luckily I had a small Point and Shoot Waterproof camera with me, so I used that for the remainder of the day.

My current camera and 'good' lens are both weather sealed, but I've not been in a comparable situation to check if it would work.

Whatever you take, it won't be enough to cover off everything you feel like you want to do. Because it's just human nature to go 'If only I had the 400mm lens, or the ultra wide'. But, as Picasso said, "If I don't have red, I use blue."

If you're not going to shoot just one type of thing (i.e. Architecture; street; landscapes), you don't need a specific lens. Rather, you need to be able to cover off many things, then my personal advice (and I'm not a pro) would be to sacrifice a bit of out-and-out image quality for something more versatile. Two reasons for this. One, you don't get caught out with the wrong lens on. Two, switching lenses in humid and/or dusty conditions isn't the best thing to do.

When I last went to New York, I didn't take my 24-70 (even though it's a better lens) and instead took my 18-135 for the added reach and slightly wider end. It still wasn't long enough in some situations or wide enough in others. Plus, the biggest drawback with cheaper zooms is that the aperture isn't wide enough for when the light starts to go. Not only that, but the more you zoom, the more light you need.

So...I'd also recommend a faster, wide-ish angle prime.

I also took my 30mm 1.4 for shots at night/restaurants etc. But I still think on a crop sensor, 30mm isn't quite wide enough. I now have a 24mm pancake lens which has been an excellent addition to my bag as it's light, small and (IMHO) works brilliantly on a crop sensor. Because of the size and weight, it means I'm far more likely to take the camera out with me rather than leave it in the hotel.

In short. A zoom that covers a fairly wide range, bearing in mind that a smaller range and lower f/stop might be preferable to a wider range and higher f/stop. As Ken Rockwell said when reviewing the 18-135:

"I never needed any other lens for anything, and this 18-135mm is easy to pack, handle and shoot. You never need to take it off your camera. As experienced photographers know, if you can't catch it with 135mm on small format (equivalent to just over 200mm on full-frame), a longer lens won't save you: you need to get closer! In other words, don't worry about this lens "only" going to 135mm instead of 200mm. If 135mm isn't long enough, nothing will be."

But I'd add a fast prime in the low 20s (20mm, 23mm, 24mm, etc - depending on system).

The final thing I'd say is that if this is not a specific photographic holiday, then it's easy to get carried away with cameras and lenses and forget to enjoy yourself as you get too worried with ensuring the right lens is on the camera for the right situation. I normally have to grab my shots while I'm doing other things and don't want to faff about holding everyone else up. Be interesting to see what you end up with though. And the resulting shots.

Back