DSLR,s seem to be holding their value...

No idea on the Washburns but 80's MIJ guitars are getting quite collectible in some circles. Some of the 80's Gibson copies nobody wanted just a couple of years ago, think Edwards, Greco and the like are commanding, IMO, silly prices for no other reason than supply and demand, not because suddenly they became great. They are good but their old prices reflected what they are worth IMO. Great value for money Gibson copies. That's what they set out to be and that's what they are.

I suspect once everything is back to normal their prices might go down a little but right now and probably for the next 6 months, is a seller's market.

Edwards and Greco became a bit of a thing in the early 2000s, with guys ordering from Japan directly (Ishibashi IIRC). Some of the buyers back then rated them above US made Les Paula etc, and I don't think it was just the honeymoon effect. Certainly all the subjectively best guitars I've owned have been Japanese, and the most disappointing US made instruments (Gibson and Heritage).

I don't want to sell the Washburns really, but would like to offload some of the pedals and amps I don't use now.

A price increase in guitars is easy to explain - lots of people had more time on their hands staying at home so thought of learning to play or get back into it. Same happened with bikes last year - supply couldnt meet demand.

In the case of price increases of some camera models that could be explained by some people being able to save during lockdowns/lack of holidays and bought that camera they’ve always wanted.

Whether it’s an anomaly due to COVID I’m not sure. I can’t see a lot of things still happening once things start to reopen and people get back to their old ways again. Remember when everyone was baking and you couldn’t get flour in any shops. You don’t see everyone doing that anymore!

Remember when everyone was baking and you couldn’t get flour in any shops.
Were they actually baking, or just buying up flour? At one time in the shops there was an absolute dearth of toilet rolls - I can hardly believe that people were s***ting more ...

Were they actually baking, or just buying up flour? At one time in the shops there was an absolute dearth of toilet rolls - I can hardly believe that people were s***ting more ...

may be the pandemic was making them s**t themselves.

There was a point where it seemed most people with kids were making banana bread.

Still don’t the toilet roll thing!

I was mainly looking at midrange to slightly higher end DSLR's, when I noticed prices holding out pretty well, to even increasing.
Just having a quick nose at the entry level DSLR's, and they too seem to be holding their value pretty well.

It's cherries that seem to have vanished here. Haven't seen any in the supermarkets for about a month.

My day job is for a national food wholesaler so a perk of the job is get access on pretty much any catering items a bit further up the supply chain. That meant I never had any problems with loo rolls, flour and whatnot.

To me monetary resale value is secondary. I still have the first camera I ever had which I got for my 10th birthday so if I'd restricted myself to using that and that alone I'd have saved a lot of money but the gear and it's potential have moved on and film is not for me anymore. It would be nice if things kept their value but you'd need a crystal ball and to limit yourself to kit that retains its value means limiting yourself in other ways too, too many to make it an attractive proposition for me although I could just about live with my Sony A7 and film era primes which as long as they're not spoilt by fungus or smashed will still be worth something long after the electronics in AF lenses have crumbled rendering them paper weights.
I am not sure that is true - unless most of your shots are keepers (not true for bird photography) film can be more expensive than digital.

I am not sure that is true - unless most of your shots are keepers (not true for bird photography) film can be more expensive than digital.

Yup. Not too sure if we're at crossed purposes but my general point was that it's best to move on as and when you see the need rather than look too closely at the costs, if you can afford not to. The expense isn't really one of the reasons film isn't for me anymore. Actually I hung on while others were going digital but I found that the quality of prints I was getting back wasn't acceptable. I assumed at the time they'd cut costs to stay solvent but it was that drop in quality that frustrated me and pushed me to digital.

My day job is for a national food wholesaler so a perk of the job is get access on pretty much any catering items a bit further up the supply chain. That meant I never had any problems with loo rolls, flour and whatnot.

We don't buy flour so I don't know if it was difficult to find or not. Most of the larger supermarkets around here (Edinburgh South) sold out of toilet rolls at one point, but only briefly, and some of the local shops had stock throughout. I believe they rationed sales though.

We don't buy flour so I don't know if it was difficult to find or not. Most of the larger supermarkets around here (Edinburgh South) sold out of toilet rolls at one point, but only briefly, and some of the local shops had stock throughout. I believe they rationed sales though.
So how do you make Yorkshire puds for a Sunday dinner ????

Just been checking used DSLR prices on an auction site, and the prices are all over the place. With some ridiculous very high buy it now prices, no idea why anyone would pay such a high price, when you could buy the much newer model for a great deal less. A listing or two that look like good deals, but are obviously scams.

Annoying when I see posts for items that look like a reasonable deal, it turns out to be a very old post, and item is no longer available.
I really do wish people would delete their old sales postings. ( not on here, but on other website with items for sale.)

From what I've seen in the last two years, I think prices have fallen - especially on FF cameras.

I recently sold an immaculate Nikon D810 with 4k clicks for a ridiculously low £850. Eighteen months ago that would have easily fetched £1200-1400.

Aye and I've flogged two...

Thing is with this camera is it's been superseded by the D850 and that was in 2017. In terms of tech it really isn't a contemporary camera. I imagine if you paid £1900 for a grey D850, but 4k clicks on it - then tried to sell it you'd get more like £1500 for it - in % terms a much smaller drop because it's still a current model. The last D810 rolled off the line in 2017 - tech moves on. Still - at the price they fetch they make a great second hand buy and are a very capable camera.

D850's might really hold their value as they are the last of the Nikon DSLR's.

If you want to see really savage depreciation MPB have a 645z for sale with 300 clicks on it for £2600 or so - new they are £3700 off wex. Christ knows what the seller of that 300 click 645z was actually given for it - and it's not yet superseded. And if you shoot just landscapes like me, it really is in a class of one.

Reactions: Sky
Aye and I've flogged two...

Thing is with this camera is it's been superseded by the D850 and that was in 2017. In terms of tech it really isn't a contemporary camera. I imagine if you paid £1900 for a grey D850, but 4k clicks on it - then tried to sell it you'd get more like £1500 for it - in % terms a much smaller drop because it's still a current model. The last D810 rolled off the line in 2017 - tech moves on. Still - at the price they fetch they make a great second hand buy and are a very capable camera.

D850's might really hold their value as they are the last of the Nikon DSLR's.

If you want to see really savage depreciation MPB have a 645z for sale with 300 clicks on it for £2600 or so - new they are £3700 off wex. Christ knows what the seller of that 300 click 645z was actually given for it - and it's not yet superseded. And if you shoot just landscapes like me, it really is in a class of one.

When it comes to the last few remaining DSLR's , probably of the higher end, they will probably command a much higher price.
That's if they really do, do away with DSLR's that is.

Another poster did already say this, sorry forgot who this was now.

Interesting thread - takes me back. I'm commenting on several different strands.

In 1983 I was a student nurse, when we were health board employees rather than real students. Earnings varied, with a very poor, college - based month, being just under £200 net and a month in the wards with various uplifts for evenings / weekends etc being about £230-40. To put that in perspective, we paid £23 a month for a room in the nurses home, or £18 for a shared room.

At the same time I had a Minolta XG-M, which was a present from my girlfriend, now wife, and I still have it. I never appreciated how much she must have paid for it!

I've gone mirrorless and had a basic D3300 DSLR. My recollection is I paid £330 for it over 5 years ago. I've just sold it on Gumtree for £220. I had a second-hand 55-300 DX lens I got for £90 about 4 years ago and have just sold it for £100. My impression is very much that people are buying stuff they want, often at the asking price without quibbling.

Finally flour. According to my son there was any amount of the stuff. All the commercial caterers who buy it in large quantities were cutting back as they didn't have a market for their products with all the shops and cafes shut. The problem was packaging. They had all this flour they traditionally sold in bulk, but needed to package it up in 2lb bags for the retail market. The bags and machinery they needed to change their distribution channel just weren't there.

Interesting thread - takes me back. I'm commenting on several different strands.

In 1983 I was a student nurse, when we were health board employees rather than real students. Earnings varied, with a very poor, college - based month, being just under £200 net and a month in the wards with various uplifts for evenings / weekends etc being about £230-40. To put that in perspective, we paid £23 a month for a room in the nurses home, or £18 for a shared room.

At the same time I had a Minolta XG-M, which was a present from my girlfriend, now wife, and I still have it. I never appreciated how much she must have paid for it!

I've gone mirrorless and had a basic D3300 DSLR. My recollection is I paid £330 for it over 5 years ago. I've just sold it on Gumtree for £220. I had a second-hand 55-300 DX lens I got for £90 about 4 years ago and have just sold it for £100. My impression is very much that people are buying stuff they want, often at the asking price without quibbling.

I still have my D3300 and I am not sure if I will ever sell it, although I have a D90 also that I a not sure if I will sell.

Very interesting value costings, back in the 80s. 1621434428447.png:)(y)

I still have my D3300 and I am not sure if I will ever sell it, although I have a D90 also that I a not sure if I will sell.

Very interesting value costings, back in the 80s. View attachment 318967:)(y)

I went through the very same decision process you‘ve just gone through. I too had a D3300 and opted to get a D7500. For what I was likely to get for my old 3300 if I’d have sold it, I instead decided to keep it for a knockabout/holiday/leave in the car camera. It’s smaller and lighter than the D7*** series and means I can still have full use of all my glass plus I can shoot in crappier places without worrying so much about being parted from £ 000s worth of hardware.

I‘d definitely keep it if I were you.

I went through the very same decision process you‘ve just gone through. I too had a D3300 and opted to get a D7500. For what I was likely to get for my old 3300 if I’d have sold it, I instead decided to keep it for a knockabout/holiday/leave in the car camera. It’s smaller and lighter than the D7*** series and means I can still have full use of all my glass plus I can shoot in crappier places without worrying so much about being parted from £ 000s worth of hardware.

I‘d definitely keep it if I were you.

I was initially thinking of changing the D3300 for something like the D7200, but I don't think it will improve on image quality, as I think they are pretty much the same sensor. The D7200 will probably only be an improvement on user functionality, such as better AF and better focus point coverage, and a few other improvements.

I was initially thinking of changing the D3300 for something like the D7200, but I don't think it will improve on image quality, as I think they are pretty much the same sensor. The D7200 will probably only be an improvement on user functionality, such as better AF and better focus point coverage, and a few other improvements.
That was my experience

While part of me would like another DSLR, just trying to evaluate what improvement I would get, and would it be worth the extra ££ ?
Not too sure just yet, maybe I am just suffering from GAS?
you (insert me lol) dont need another camera you(me) need to learn the camera you have inside out,study and learn the science behind photography and let your natural creativity allow you(me) to take wonderfull photos that express who and what you(me) are and want to say. you (me) can do that with most if not all cameras. hmmm food for thought .;):D:LOL::wave:

Last edited:
ive had an idea, what about you exploring in a lot more depth post processing ,that might be something to take up your thought processes and not cost you a lot of money :)

you (insert me lol) dont need another camera you(me) need to learn the camera you have inside out,study and learn the science behind photography and let your natural creativity allow you(me) to take wonderfull photos that express who and what you(me) are and want to say. you (me) can do that with most if not all cameras. hmmm food for thought .;):D:LOL::wave:

Yes that is perfectly true, but I really would love the extra focus points, as I hate having to focus then re compose. ;) (y)

Back