DSLR,s seem to be holding their value...

Yes that is perfectly true, but I really would love the extra focus points, as I hate having to focus then re compose. ;) (y)
is this of the chance of not having so sharp a focus dependent on the lens degree angle etc or you just would like to tap scroll to focus point and snap?

Was going to make my own thread, but this seems slightly on topic for my query.... i bought a 5DII roughly 10 years ago and didn't expect to upgrade body in that time and instead spend on a couple of lenses as they seemed a better investment. When it's not the pandemic, I do some gig photography so low light performance important and at the time, i was moving from using a 350d and a 40d so the 5DII was a huge improvement, but I'm starting to feel now that it might be time to move up a bit in the body stakes (for when i eventually get back to gig shooting....)

I thought enough time would have passed that a 5DIV might be affordable, but looking on MPB etc, it seems they are still pushing the £1.5k for one in good condition, and still £1k for one they consider 'heavily used' so I was a bit surprised. Going for a 5DIII is more affordable (esp if i trade in) but I'm not sure if the low light performance is worth spending out the moola just for that. I've done some googling but still unsure on that.

By this thread, are we expecting 5DIV to hold this value for some time?

I might be able to get £300-400 for my 5DII, dunno what the SC is, but i unfort picked up a couple of scratches on the LCD on my recent trip to Iceland and didn't have screen protector so this might affect that price....

Also, i am using standalone LR6 (so it won't be having any updates - is the 5DIV raw already in LR6 as if it's not then that would be a reason not get it.... - and no i don't want to move to another piece of software so that's not a solution, hence the question :) )

will start a seperate thread if this is deemed too off topic!

Was going to make my own thread, but this seems slightly on topic for my query.... i bought a 5DII roughly 10 years ago and didn't expect to upgrade body in that time and instead spend on a couple of lenses as they seemed a better investment. When it's not the pandemic, I do some gig photography so low light performance important and at the time, i was moving from using a 350d and a 40d so the 5DII was a huge improvement, but I'm starting to feel now that it might be time to move up a bit in the body stakes (for when i eventually get back to gig shooting....)

I thought enough time would have passed that a 5DIV might be affordable, but looking on MPB etc, it seems they are still pushing the £1.5k for one in good condition, and still £1k for one they consider 'heavily used' so I was a bit surprised. Going for a 5DIII is more affordable (esp if i trade in) but I'm not sure if the low light performance is worth spending out the moola just for that. I've done some googling but still unsure on that.

By this thread, are we expecting 5DIV to hold this value for some time?

I might be able to get £300-400 for my 5DII, dunno what the SC is, but i unfort picked up a couple of scratches on the LCD on my recent trip to Iceland and didn't have screen protector so this might affect that price....

Also, i am using standalone LR6 (so it won't be having any updates - is the 5DIV raw already in LR6 as if it's not then that would be a reason not get it.... - and no i don't want to move to another piece of software so that's not a solution, hence the question :) )

will start a seperate thread if this is deemed too off topic!
I picked up a 1dxii for 1400 a little while ago. If you can handle the weight, it's an epic, epic camera. Low light is excellent and the af/14fps is awesome. I'd consider this over a 5d iv weight aside.

@toohuge thanks for the advice. i think more so than weight, the size is a factor to rule it out for me, aside from it probably being too big for me to hold comfortably in one hand (i'm a small woman) when walking, and the weight for shooting angled upwards at gigs, i don't think it would fit in the camera bag which i have recently spend £125 on. Probably making myself look puny, but sometimes, being small is just being small....

@toohuge thanks for the advice. i think more so than weight, the size is a factor to rule it out for me, aside from it probably being too big for me to hold comfortably in one hand (i'm a small woman) when walking, and the weight for shooting angled upwards at gigs, i don't think it would fit in the camera bag which i have recently spend £125 on. Probably making myself look puny, but sometimes, being small is just being small....
I understand that.... The pro bodies are huge, Canon especially! My mum struggles to handle my 1dxii and finds the D5 'slightly' easier to manage. But if you have small hands and don't need the 14fps, then the 1dxii isn't for you.
As for the used prices of 5D IV's, it depends on how you use your cameras... I'd be tempted to try a 5D IV for 1k (I almost did!) to see how it performs for you and whether the condition is something you can live with. Most of my equipment is in what many would consider 'poor' condition, but then it gets hammered when I'm out and about anyway so for me, buying in better condition is just money I'll never recover.

I will add, if you are considering adding a grip to a regular dslr body, consider a pro body. They are more compact and better feeling.

Last edited:
I picked up a 1dxii for 1400 a little while ago. If you can handle the weight, it's an epic, epic camera. Low light is excellent and the af/14fps is awesome. I'd consider this over a 5d iv weight aside.

to be fair though the price on them ranges, 1400 must be a fairly smelly one because a decent example would be between 1700 and 2300. i know their used prices like the back of my hand.

to be fair though the price on them ranges, 1400 must be a fairly smelly one because a decent example would be between 1700 and 2300. i know their used prices like the back of my hand.
Maybe, but it had a count of 180k and a 6 month warranty (MPB). In all honesty, what difference does cosmetic condition make on a camera? I'm curious as to why someone would spend 1k more on a 'better' example when they do the same thing?

Maybe, but it had a count of 180k and a 6 month warranty (MPB). In all honesty, what difference does cosmetic condition make on a camera? I'm curious as to why someone would spend 1k more on a 'better' example when they do the same thing?
I would spend a little more on a body that was described as, " as new condition". I would not spend a lot more, but just enough to justify the better condition.

Last edited:

That is how it has always been, i have found that MPB are very very cunning people and if they price something cheaply there is a good reason for it.

That is how it has always been, i have found that MPB are very very cunning people and if they price something cheaply there is a good reason for it.

They are selling some of my gear - namely a 70-200 2.8 FL ED and Sigma ART 50.

Ok the Sigma ART 50 has a mark to front element, and MPB says it affects IQ. It doesn't at all, I am a pixel peeper and its totally fine. They are selling it cheap and honestly whoever gets that is getting a bargain.

They are selling some of my gear - namely a 70-200 2.8 FL ED and Sigma ART 50.

Ok the Sigma ART 50 has a mark to front element, and MPB says it affects IQ. It doesn't at all, I am a pixel peeper and its totally fine. They are selling it cheap and honestly whoever gets that is getting a bargain.

I find its pot luck with them, i have had charger cables with exposed wires, Flash shoes that had obviously been knocked hard enough to depress one side and leave the viewfinder full of black plastic bits, filthy viewfinders in general, worrying electrical sound when cable connected to camera. I sent some back as not as described so no big deal. This was from buying their cheaper models, they were just smelly in general and i found them a sly cunning company overall

I find its pot luck with them, i have had charger cables with exposed wires, Flash shoes that had obviously been knocked hard enough to depress one side and leave the viewfinder full of black plastic bits, filthy viewfinders in general, worrying electrical sound when cable connected to camera. I sent some back as not as described so no big deal. This was from buying their cheaper models, they were just smelly in general and i found them a sly cunning company overall
I totally agree with you. I've had my fair share of run ins with them over the years - some documented on this forum

I totally agree with you. I've had my fair share of run ins with them over the years - some documented on this forum

I've never bought from from them. I know the mark up they charge having sold my stuff to them - I find sellers on here a good source of kit tbh. Being frank I wish the classifieds were used more by us all and MPB less. I've tried to sell stuff on here, really good stuff, and not managed to shift it, so MPB have come to the rescue but I'd have rather just moved it on to someone here.

oh dear, didn't mean this to turn into questioning MPB. I've never bought from them, though i think visually i wouldn't mind if the camera was scuffed etc in places, as some of the 'heavily used' ones seem to be, but that seems to also incorporate high shutter counts as well. I'd rather buy from someone on this forum overall, as I've had good experiences. Just at the moment not sure of the III is a good jump up from the II in terms of low light, and/or can justify a IV at this steady, quite high, price.

Price of everything is mental lately on the used market, thanks to covid tax it seems.

Back in 2011 or so I picked up a couple Olympus mju-II film cameras from charity shops for £3 each. Back then they were worth around £30. Move forward to present day and I found them in a box so thought I'd put them up on eBay with a low start bid and they both sold for more than £100.

oh dear, didn't mean this to turn into questioning MPB. I've never bought from them, though i think visually i wouldn't mind if the camera was scuffed etc in places, as some of the 'heavily used' ones seem to be, but that seems to also incorporate high shutter counts as well. I'd rather buy from someone on this forum overall, as I've had good experiences. Just at the moment not sure of the III is a good jump up from the II in terms of low light, and/or can justify a IV at this steady, quite high, price.

I'd try the Mk4. They are really good cameras with the touch screen AF - 30mp. They also represent the last of the Canon Digital SLRs, so maybe that's why. For a camera that's really held value well the Nikon D850 stands out.

Would a 5ds interest you. The resolution is massive and will give you decent files to work with. I rather like mine.

I'd try the Mk4. They are really good cameras with the touch screen AF - 30mp. They also represent the last of the Canon Digital SLRs, so maybe that's why. For a camera that's really held value well the Nikon D850 stands out.

Would a 5ds interest you. The resolution is massive and will give you decent files to work with. I rather like mine.
Agreed, the D850 and the D500 to a certain extent have excellent residuals.

Still looking for a clean Nikon Df but prices are still high when they do come up :(
It always seems to have held its value well.?

Watch out for clearance bargains when 5div is officially discontinued. Till that I don't see anything that could be described as good value. You have more chance to pick up cheap Eos r. It is rather full of compromises, namely single SD card when it comes to pro work

I normally buy my cameras from John Lewis, and buy when they have an offer on. I have not noticed any offers, or deals in ages. The DSLR's on their site, seem to be holding their prices pretty well.

@LongLensPhotography i am stacked with CF cards so would want to stay with CF compatible really. Maybe i will cough up for a IV eventually, but it def wouldnt be as soon as i possibly could do a III - just not sure the low light performance is worth the switch, compared to the II. ho hum.

@2thumb a muji was the 2nd digital camera i ever bought (and it turned out to not be as good quality as the fuji i had originally!) think i sold it to someone at work about 10 years for their kid for about £30

possibly could do a III - just not sure the low light performance is worth the switch, compared to the II. ho hum.

AF and build quality are not even comparable. mkII is essentially a 6D predecessor. I suggest getting one with older firmware ideally 1.2.3 as the latest one can't be rolled back. The whole point of sticking with III now is Magic Lantern.

@LongLensPhotography I assume by that you mean the III is very much better than the II? AF isn't a particular thing I look for, its the low light stuff in particular and i can't find much good info comparing the two. I have no idea what Magic Latern is so any benefit of that is lost on me the luddite it would seem ;-)

@LongLensPhotography I assume by that you mean the III is very much better than the II? AF isn't a particular thing I look for, its the low light stuff in particular and i can't find much good info comparing the two. I have no idea what Magic Latern is so any benefit of that is lost on me the luddite it would seem ;-)

Magic lantern is software that gives you control over a wider range of camera functions than is normally available. It usually sits on the memory card.

I would imagine low light performance would be slightly better on mk iii. It's pretty decent for the period. I had no problems shooting iso 3200 (good exposure).
ML is incredibly useful for bracketing and it can do raw video. It's nowhere near what say r5 can do now and that is what eventually will get me to replace it

@LongLensPhotography i see. i dont really do video so prob why its not really been on my radar.

i think slightly better on low light is prob not enough justficition for me to switch atm. damn these IV keeping their value haha

Back