Dubai Aircrash

Accepted, but the passenger mentality of which I am one, is to carry off valuable items....

I always carry the camera in a modestly sized bag under the seat. But passengers apparently open the overhead lockers and carry their bags off.

I guess cameras can be replaced, but the temptation is to film the disaster as the youtube video shows.....

Tricky one.

The way I perceive it, the plane has landed
safely. Now, the priority is to get out and let
the flight personal go in safety too and the
firefighters do their work.

The earlier all these happen is you best way
to retrieve your gear after… if any chance.

Tricky one.

Potentially die, or cause the death of others, versus the hassles of filing a claim, and dealing with an insurance company? That is a tough choice actually.

re. filming these things, it always strikes me a strange reaction. Investigators and various other people love them though, as they can obviously give a great deal of information they may not otherwise have.

Seen the state of my 5D?
I'd leave it, get out asap and push people that way also. Who tries to grab bags when the plane is filling with smoke?

If I was trying to get my family as quickly and safely as possible to an exit chute from a smoke filled plane and some t*** (for want of a better word) was impeding my exit by trying to lug off his baggage I would do everything possible to get him out of my way, and i mean anything ! Selfish, irresponsible bas*****.

I can see why some would want to grab their bags .... a natural instinct for many ...... the only way to stop this would be to have automatic locking overhead compartments which only opened when the staff thought it safe ......... it would also stop the normal procedure of some people grabbing their bags just before it was allowed on regular flights

I can see why some would want to grab their bags .... a natural instinct for many ...... the only way to stop this would be to have automatic locking overhead compartments which only opened when the staff thought it safe ......... it would also stop the normal procedure of some people grabbing their bags just before it was allowed on regular flights

Couldnt agree more. The madness of wanting to get your bags and stand in the aisle before the plane has even stopped really p***es me off. You cant go anywhere till the staff open the doors anyway so I just dont get it.

If I was trying to get my family as quickly and safely as possible to an exit chute from a smoke filled plane and some t*** (for want of a better word) was impeding my exit by trying to lug off his baggage I would do everything possible to get him out of my way, and i mean anything ! Selfish, irresponsible bas*****.
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Accepted, but the passenger mentality of which I am one, is to carry off valuable items....

I always carry the camera in a modestly sized bag under the seat. But passengers apparently open the overhead lockers and carry their bags off.

I guess cameras can be replaced, but the temptation is to film the disaster as the youtube video shows.....

Tricky one.

Definitely not a tricky one at all. Just dont be assholes and get themselves off the plane and where possible assist rather than hinder.

That's one of the best suggestions I have heard. Nice one, Bill.

Valuables can be replaced, your life can't...

I'd leave it!

Couldnt agree more. The madness of wanting to get your bags and stand in the aisle before the plane has even stopped really p***es me off. You cant go anywhere till the staff open the doors anyway so I just dont get it.

I agree

That's one of the best suggestions I have heard. Nice one, Bill.

I'm sure that I must have read it somewhere in the past - probably too costly in this age of cut price travel

It has got better though - I remember flying from Cairo to Aswan in 1969 in a Russian plane, an
Antonov - the locals were cooking, (on a gas cooking stove), at the back of the plane

Last edited:

I've seen the suggestion of locking lockers on an aviation forum. The opinion was the self loading freight would just stand there TRYING to open the lockers....................

I've seen the suggestion of locking lockers on an aviation forum. The opinion was the self loading freight would just stand there TRYING to open the lockers....................
Of course they would. And by doing that they'd be hindering other passengers even more.

Of course they would. And by doing that they'd be hindering other passengers even more.

why if they were told that the overhead lockers would not be opened until the seat belt lights were switched off or similar

but anyway I would rather have them standing up without bags than standing trying to balance their bags from not hitting people

how does a guy without a bag "hinder other passengers even more" than one with a bag

Last edited:
I fly with a photographers vest most of the time.historically it's a way to cut down on cabin baggage weight. Vests are not weighed. My camera gear is on my person. Anybody Impeding my exit from a burning aircraft would be assisted off or repositioned.

Locking overheads that only unlock when the seatbelt light is extinguished was first suggested some 15+ years ago but never taken up because passengers wouldn't like it.

Strikes me all airlines should implement it simultaneously and if 'you' don't like it...catch a bus! :)

I'd leave it all in a heart beat, I can either through time or insurance replace anything I have in my bag, I cannot replace my life, or for that matter the life of some other poor soul who were killed by my dithering to safe some item in my bag

Honestly people who stop to get their baggage in a situation like this want their heads examining in my opinion

why if they were told that the overhead lockers would not be opened until the seat belt lights were switched off or similar
Look, we're talking about people who are on a plane that's on fire, they can see and smell the smoke, they've been told to exit the plane AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, and they're still stopping to get their luggage. Do you really expect them to listen when they're told that the overhead bins won't open?
how does a guy without a bag "hinder other passengers even more" than one with a bag
Because he's blocking the aisle while he's trying to get the luggage bin open.

Look, we're talking about people who are on a plane that's on fire, they can see and smell the smoke, they've been told to exit the plane AS FAST AS POSSIBLE, and they're still stopping to get their luggage. Do you really expect them to listen when they're told that the overhead bins won't open?

Because he's blocking the aisle while he's trying to get the luggage bin open.

so you reckon in this case it would be quicker to get off the plane with passengers grabbing their luggage than them not being able to - especially when (if such a locked overhead locker rule was the known custom) . because it had been in place for some time

the suggestion was that (IN THE BLOODY FUTURE) a system whereby the overhead lockers were automatically locked and that this was well known, (as the no smoking and fasten seat belts rule are currently known) would be safer and more convenient than the current system and to use your words , but in the reverse that this WOULD NOT "hinder other passengers even more" than the current system

Last edited:
The speed of baggage between the aircraft and the carousel at Heraklion is notoriously slow so we always stay seated until the plane's almost empty. We almost always have a window and middle seat so don't get in anyone's way. Emergency evacuation? GTFOOTAFAP!!!

TBH, based upon the scene/conditions shown at that moment I don't think I would be panicked... I would be tempted to grab my gear if it was readily accessible. Really, it's not much different from grabbing a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, or helping someone else who might be injured... it's just situationally dependent as to which action is appropriate.

But I wasn't there... it may have been obviously much more of a dire situation. And, perhaps my viewpoint is a bit different because I was in aviation for decades (helicopters).

TBH, based upon the scene/conditions shown at that moment I don't think I would be panicked... I would be tempted to grab my gear if it was readily accessible. Really, it's not much different from grabbing a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, or helping someone else who might be injured... it's just situationally dependent as to which action is appropriate.

But I wasn't there... it may have been obviously much more of a dire situation. And, perhaps my viewpoint is a bit different because I was in aviation for decades (helicopters).
But the rules (and the announcements) are clear, it's not your decision to make nor your situation to assess. It is not situationally dependent on a passenger by passenger basis.

I live in the UAE and fly tonnes. If I'm travelling with camera gear it's usually at my feet with my passport, in which case it might come with me. I'd certainly grab memory cards if possible. But I certainly wouldn't be worrying about the overheads in that situation, and I'd be shouting at anyone who was to get the hell off the plane.

so you reckon in this case it would be quicker to get off the plane with passengers grabbing their luggage than them not being able to - especially when (if such a locked overhead locker rule was the known custom) . because it had been in place for some time

the suggestion was that (IN THE BLOODY FUTURE) a system whereby the overhead lockers were automatically locked and that this was well known, (as the no smoking and fasten seat belts rule are currently known) would be safer and more convenient than the current system and to use your words , but in the reverse that this WOULD NOT "hinder other passengers even more" than the current system

You've never seen the cabin crew shout at a passenger to sit down when the seat belt sign is on and said cabin crew are strapped in their seats?

You've never seen the cabin crew shout at a passenger to sit down when the seat belt sign is on and said cabin crew are strapped in their seats?

I have flown a tremendous amount, all around the world, regularly through work and now pleasure

I have heard Cabin crew ask a passenger to sit down many times, always politely ........ but my point would be that the vast majority of passengers do not stand up when the seat belt signs are switched on as they know not to .... and I am saying that if it became a rule that overhead cabin lockers would be locked a short period before landing when the air stewards come around to check and not unlocked until announced, then after a while this would become common knowledge and less and less people would stand up before time

but it is not worth arguing about like many subjects on here .. just a waste of time and breath

Last edited:
But the rules (and the announcements) are clear, it's not your decision to make nor your situation to assess. It is not situationally dependent on a passenger by passenger basis.
Rules?
Yes, once someone in a position of authority gives a directive it's not for me to decide any longer. Regardless of what I was intending to do, even if that was to assist someone else...

Rules?
Yes, once someone in a position of authority gives a directive it's not for me to decide any longer. Regardless of what I was intending to do, even if that was to assist someone else...
Now let's see. I'm in a plane that's on fire and the crew are giving instructions regarding how to get out. Is it likely that those instructions were developed by experts, based on experience of evacuation studies and other incidents, and taking account of factors which I might not appreciate? Nah, sounds unlikely. I'll just assess the situation as I see it and act accordingly. What could possibly go wrong?

I live in the UAE and fly tonnes. If I'm travelling with camera gear it's usually at my feet with my passport, in which case it might come with me. I'd certainly grab memory cards if possible. But I certainly wouldn't be worrying about the overheads in that situation, and I'd be shouting at anyone who was to get the hell off the plane.

Is the issue that passenegrs are trying open overhead lockers and trying to retrieve large items of baggage, or as you say a small bag of camera gear etc at you feet.

Kinda depends where the crash site is, at sea I would only be interested in the underseat life jacket....... Camera would not last long.

As said when a normal landing takes place all those people jumping up and getting their luggage can be quite claustrophibic, never mind in a panic/emergency situation. I thing ones survival instincts would be upermost, and sod earthly goods.......:):):)

Any flights I am on now are family holidays with my wife and 2 boys aged 1 and 2. As a habit all my memory cards are in a hard card case in my jeans pocket. If something like the emergency landing above were to happen, the rest of my gear can stay there and I will be heading to the nearest exit with one boy under each arm and wow betide anyone who is faffing about opening lockers in my way!

I once took part in the evacuation tests of a passenger aircraft. We all politely filed out zippering into the queue for the doors. Made it out in the prescribed time.

Then they offered £30 to the first ten out, £10 to the next ten. Bearing in mind we were getting £30 for the day. Pandemonium ensued as everyone pushed, shoved, generally blocking isles everywhere as it all jammed up.

I went over the seats, couple of minor injuries and evacuation time took three times as long.

Definitely, maybe when the seatbelt light comes on, the overheads should lock (I know mid flight some might be open, but they shouldn't be left open!)

On a side note, its amazing that someone's first thought, on a crash landed aircraft that's on fire and filling with smoke, is to crack out their mobile / camera and start filming. That in itself is a hindrance, you can see him stop at the bottom of the chute and film the burning engine, while there are persons trying to slide down behind him, not to mention he's doing everything with one hand.

Last edited:
I fly with a photographers vest most of the time.historically it's a way to cut down on cabin baggage weight. Vests are not weighed. My camera gear is on my person. Anybody Impeding my exit from a burning aircraft would be assisted off or repositioned.
Lol I wouldn't want to go through security with my fully laden photographers vest, I might get mistaken for something else :D

I once took part in the evacuation tests of a passenger aircraft. We all politely filed out zippering into the queue for the doors. Made it out in the prescribed time.

Then they offered £30 to the first ten out, £10 to the next ten. Bearing in mind we were getting £30 for the day. Pandemonium ensued as everyone pushed, shoved, generally blocking isles everywhere as it all jammed up.

I went over the seats, couple of minor injuries and evacuation time took three times as long.
But the smooth transitional evacuation in your first scenario is already compromised by the idiots opening lockers and probably fumbling and dropping either their own or other passengers bags (we know how crammed these lockers are) so getting said idiot out of the equation and everyone else's way by any means works for me.

yeah just pointing out the difference between a unflustered evacuation, and a full on scramble, simulated panic. Now add in idiots trying to get their bags out and it's unthinkable.

Back