Dust in my eyepiece(s)

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
I noticed a couple of weeks back that I can see a large black speck when looking through the viewfinder on my old 20D.

As it's old, I wasn't too worried, but last time I picked up my 80D, I noticed one there too.

Neither seems to be affecting the images, but they are annoying.

I've cleaned the glass, but it seems that in both instances, the dust is inside somewhere.

Assuming it's possible for it to get in, it must be possible for it to get out. But any ideas how?

I guess you could argue that if it's not affecting the images, I should't worry about it. But I do like to at least try and keep my kit in good condition.

I also have an annoying black spec in my 80D view finder. I just live with it. It's probably on the focus screen, which (i think) is removable, but is also quite delicate and easy to scratch.

It's probably on the focus screen. Don't touch the focus screen, not even with a soft brush, but give it a good blow with a rocket blower and you should be able to dislodge the speck.

Thanks. Is that just a case of blowing (with a blower) into the lens opening, or do I have to do anything else to access it?

Just googled it and watched a vid where someone replaced one. But had a special tool to access it.

(I didn't even know what a focus screen is - had to Google it.)

Last edited:
Thanks. Is that just a case of blowing (with a blower) into the lens opening, or do I have to do anything else to access it?
You don't need to do anything else to access it. When you've taken the lens off the camera, the focus screen is at the top of the cavity inside the camera, on the "roof" underneath the pentaprism.

AFAI remember you can't take the focus screen out of a 20D. I used to take my 50 screen out and wash it under a tap without harm.

In this case it could be on the focus screen but it's possible it's inside and if that's the case it's not easily removed. It's one of the annoying drawbacks of SLR's and DSLR's but mirrorless isn't completely immune, there's a spec in my Sony A7 VF. I've never seen any in any other mirrorless I've had though.

AFAI remember you can't take the focus screen out of a 20D. I used to take my 50 screen out and wash it under a tap without harm.

In this case it could be on the focus screen but it's possible it's inside and if that's the case it's not easily removed. It's one of the annoying drawbacks of SLR's and DSLR's but mirrorless isn't completely immune, there's a spec in my Sony A7 VF. I've never seen any in any other mirrorless I've had though.

I wasn't planning on removing it, i just wondered what it was and the first video I came across said access to them was via this little drop down door.

I hadn't really looked at the models it covered as I assumed they'd all operate in pretty much the same way.

It's one of the annoying drawbacks of SLR's and DSLR's
A shame we'll probably never see the return of the removable prism, which lets you access the other side of the screen easily.

https://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/NikonF5/images/F5x5bodeisBIG.JPG

https://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/NikonF5/Screens/index.htm

Last edited:
Got that beat - I had a tiny spider in the viewfinder of my 1D4. It was so much fun to watch him/her gadding about when the birdies didn't turn up! After they left/died' got swallowed by the sensor cleaning monster I missed my little spidey!
Just ignore the dust and shoot :cool:

I had lots of bits in my 5d3 viewfinder. It was professionally cleaned by a company in Glasgow, but they still couldn't get all of them out. I wondered if I actually blew them there myself when using a rocket blower. Anyway, I learnt to ignore them.

Back