Dutch Masters First Attempt

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
First attempt at Still Life Dutch Masters. Lit with two candles one to the lower left and the other to the right. I wanted the warmth from the candle light
but I am not 100% sure any ideas ? Slow shutter speed 20" iso500 f11. Thanks for looking and any advice gratefully appreciated

Might try again tomorrow with a little distance ?

Chris

Untitled by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Last edited:

The candle lit scene, Chris, is not a problem but the Still
Life Dutch Masters would have used a window light and
constrained it using the flagging technique.

The same master would use the three colour composition
that was the trend at the time and a lower PoV.

The take, as is, is quite darkly rendered but I think you're
up to something good here!

The candle lit scene, Chris, is not a problem but the Still
Life Dutch Masters would have used a window light and
constrained it using the flagging technique.

The same master would use the three colour composition
that was the trend at the time and a lower PoV.

The take, as is, is quite darkly rendered but I think you're
up to something good here!

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciated. Taking onboard your comments I'll have a rethink about the lighting and PoV for sure. I'll have another play on this concept as I quite enjoyed the look.

Best advice is to have a look at The Bg Yin's images - he is on here and has done a really lovely series of 'old master' style images that sound like the kind of thing you're trying to achieve.

Best advice is to have a look at The Bg Yin's images - he is on here and has done a really lovely series of 'old master' style images that sound like the kind of thing you're trying to achieve.

Thanks for the kind words Maria... :)

to save you searching all over the forum Chris, if you have a look on Flickr here, you should find one or two interesting ones...

There's a few photo's that you can see how the shot "evolved" as I picked up better props, and, more importantly began to understand the whole underlying ideas with these shots...

anything you're not sure about, give me a shout, I'll try and explain (to the limits of my own knowledge at least...)

Thanks for the kind words Maria... :)

to save you searching all over the forum Chris, if you have a look on Flickr here, you should find one or two interesting ones...

There's a few photo's that you can see how the shot "evolved" as I picked up better props, and, more importantly began to understand the whole underlying ideas with these shots...

anything you're not sure about, give me a shout, I'll try and explain (to the limits of my own knowledge at least...)

Wow, they are stunning Mark!

Chris - I think this is a brilliant idea by the way and something I've toyed with as a personal challenge: take a style of art (could be painting, photography or anything) and recreate using different subjects in camera (as far as possible).

Mark's old masters are an inspiration...

Very kind of you to say Paul...

@chrispp - hadn't realised that this thread was a couple of weeks or more old... To be honest, I've been a little preoccupied with other stuff recently, and my only time on TP has been "in an official capacity" (i.e. moderating / fire-fighting / dealing with the usual cockwombles) so I haven't had a proper chance to get into the critique fora and have a look around...

As to your image, well - to be honest, while lots of the Dutch school paintings are quite dark in overall appearance (at least now, after 4-500 years of being in open fired rooms, often lit by candlelight or gas mantles, so the "varnish" of the oilpainting and indeed sometimes the oils themselves have taken on an extra darkening...) most of them tend to have a little more lighting and definition than your first effort... Working with candle-lit subjects is really tough - I'll admit that I often include candles in the shot, but seldom if ever do I actually show them as lit, and I can't honestly remember anything where I've used just the candle-light to light the scene...

As Kodiak states above, pretty much everything in this school of art would have been painted under natural light, basically because that was pretty much the only light that was actually good enough to see to paint the kind of detail that was included in most of the work... That's why most of my stuff tends to have a single light source - usually very directional, often deliberately used to add interest in reflections in glassware or shiny metalware. I'll admit however, most of the time, for consistency, and because when I initially began working on these shots, I was working at night, my lighting tends to be a large softbox (either square or more often rectangular) often gridded to keep the light pretty directional, and often with a large "gobo" attached to the front of hte box, to provide the "panes" of a window... Nothing fancy - i've a couple of big cardboard boxes, with different "window shapes" painted matt black and held on the front of the softbox with clothespegs... Works quite well though - as you can see in the Antique Roemmer in this picture.

I'll be honest, I find it a fascinating period of art history - especially all the "hidden meanings" that were worked into the pictures - often the pictures were commisioned by the then "nouveau riche" - a bit like modern day Football Players loving their "bling" - having a vastly ostentatious painting (Pronkstilleven) showing expensive items like jewelled cups and vessels, alongside expensive foods on the wall - preferably in the same room that you kept the Jewelled cups on the sideboard ;) - would be a statement of "look at me, how successful I am." Now, what the people comissioning the painting didn't always appreciate, was that the painters would hide "messages" of a slightly puritanical nature in the painting... basically saying "yep, you're rich, but you can't take it with you..." - so much so, that a whole sub-set of the works became referred to as "vanitas" paintings...

Very kind of you to say Paul...

@chrispp - hadn't realised that this thread was a couple of weeks or more old... To be honest, I've been a little preoccupied with other stuff recently, and my only time on TP has been "in an official capacity" (i.e. moderating / fire-fighting / dealing with the usual cockwombles) so I haven't had a proper chance to get into the critique fora and have a look around...

As to your image, well - to be honest, while lots of the Dutch school paintings are quite dark in overall appearance (at least now, after 4-500 years of being in open fired rooms, often lit by candlelight or gas mantles, so the "varnish" of the oilpainting and indeed sometimes the oils themselves have taken on an extra darkening...) most of them tend to have a little more lighting and definition than your first effort... Working with candle-lit subjects is really tough - I'll admit that I often include candles in the shot, but seldom if ever do I actually show them as lit, and I can't honestly remember anything where I've used just the candle-light to light the scene...

As Kodiak states above, pretty much everything in this school of art would have been painted under natural light, basically because that was pretty much the only light that was actually good enough to see to paint the kind of detail that was included in most of the work... That's why most of my stuff tends to have a single light source - usually very directional, often deliberately used to add interest in reflections in glassware or shiny metalware. I'll admit however, most of the time, for consistency, and because when I initially began working on these shots, I was working at night, my lighting tends to be a large softbox (either square or more often rectangular) often gridded to keep the light pretty directional, and often with a large "gobo" attached to the front of hte box, to provide the "panes" of a window... Nothing fancy - i've a couple of big cardboard boxes, with different "window shapes" painted matt black and held on the front of the softbox with clothespegs... Works quite well though - as you can see in the Antique Roemmer in this picture.

I'll be honest, I find it a fascinating period of art history - especially all the "hidden meanings" that were worked into the pictures - often the pictures were commisioned by the then "nouveau riche" - a bit like modern day Football Players loving their "bling" - having a vastly ostentatious painting (Pronkstilleven) showing expensive items like jewelled cups and vessels, alongside expensive foods on the wall - preferably in the same room that you kept the Jewelled cups on the sideboard ;) - would be a statement of "look at me, how successful I am." Now, what the people comissioning the painting didn't always appreciate, was that the painters would hide "messages" of a slightly puritanical nature in the painting... basically saying "yep, you're rich, but you can't take it with you..." - so much so, that a whole sub-set of the works became referred to as "vanitas" paintings...

Thanks for your help and advice, this is something I'm going to play around with more.

I'm quite new to photography and keep dipping into all sorts ! Going to look around for some different backgrounds etc

Here's another pic I took

Untitled by Chris_Pritchard1, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back