DX labels, where can I find the spec for measurements/pad sizes

Edit My Images
No
I make my own DX labels from slug repellent tape and insulating tape stuck to a reloadable cassette. I do it by eye looking at the spacing on pre-printed cassettes. I keep getting it slightly wrong in terms of spacing and would really like to find the actual ANSI spec somewhere, so I can know the exact measurements. I'd like to know the exact diatance from the cassette lip to the start of row 1, the distance from the cassette cap to the ground band and the exact grid cell size. As DX was introduced by Kodak and the spec is an ANSI standard, I guess it might be in inches not mm. I can't decide whether a cell is 5 mm or 0.2". I know there are a few web sites that let you print a template on paper but I'd have more confidence if I could draw my own grid based on the spec.

Thanks,
I'd seen these. What I need is a document with a drawing showing dimensions as related to the label's position on the cassette.
You need BS ISO 1007:2000 - the measurements in that will be in mm. https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030017569 Sit down when reading the price. Alternatively you might be able to find a library that will let you look at it - see list ast https://www.bsigroup.com/en-GB/about-bsi/uk-national-standards-body/Library-Access-to-Standards/

If you've a mate who works for a University, they might well have access to the BSI standards through their library, probably online these days. Who knows, you might be able to persuade them to have a look, and print off the relevant pages for you.

BTW, I know that BSI and other standards organisations use revenue from the standards as a vital form of support for the work they do, but I still think it's scandalous that the people are denied ready access to such important information (not necessarily DX labels, but some of the thousands of other areas covered).

HERE you can buy for the small sum of 185 U$D ( :hungover: ) the PDF of the ISO 1007:2000 standard containing:

135-size film and magazine -- Specifications

This International Standard specifies the following:

. dimensions of film lengths;
. latent-image frame numbering;
. latent-image digital bar-codes to identify the film DX number;
. dimensions of daylight-loading film magazines for use with 135-size cameras;
. a magazine bar-code that identifies the film's DX number as well as the number of exposures;
. camera auto-sensing areas, which provide an electrically readable encodement of film speed, number of exposures, and recommended exposure latitude for use with appropriately designed cameras;
. an information panel on which the film identification, speed and number of exposures are visible through a window in the back of appropriately designed cameras;
. film pull-out force specification;
. film-spool attachment strength specification.

This International Standard is not intended to apply to “bulk” 35-mm film used for reloading into 135-size magazines, nor to the reloadable magazines themselves. Also, this standard does not apply to 135-size film and magazines that are used in single-use camera applications.

A preview of the document can be found here: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:1007:ed-3:v1:en

fig_C.1.png

Maybe the PDF is available for download somewhere via p2p and such.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's useful to know. I didn't think that the ANSI standard would definitely make it into ISO. All I want is figure 5 but it's not worth hundreds of dollars!

Like Chris mentioned, maybe a University could have access to the ISO standard documents and provide you with a copy of the specific section you need.

Back