E.Scooters

Where I live bicycles should get off the road! Don't they know there is a cycle path??!
Where I live bicycles should get off the mixed use path! They go fast and don't have a bell!

Yes. There was a systematic failure to consider all potential modes of transport, by successive governments. Of course, British economic interests in the Middle East did play a part in policy making too. But then we had catastrophes such as the Beeching reports, which led to the destruction of large and important parts of our rail infrastructure, now very much impossible to replace in many areas. Canals were left to decline as a viable option for transporting goods. And urban cycling infrastructure simply wasn't even considered. My history is hazy, but I think Beeching and/or others in government at the time had vested interests in road building companies too. Follow the money.
Ernest Marples, the Transport Minister. Beeching was his tool.

now very much impossible to replace in many areas
The East west system is being rebuilt, here some 60 years after it was destroyed.
At a guestimated 1.9 Billion, 4 years later its 5.6 billion. And still not finished.

cycling infrastructure simply wasn't even considered.
MK was built around the car, in effect a prototype 15 min city.
We have a network of red ways, ie cycle paths & foot paths.
And also a network of sand tracks for house riders.
The redways generally follow the major and some of the smaller roads, and yet people insist on cycling in the roads and dual carriageways.
Even pedestrians are seen waling the roads.
And even the occasional horse
You can lead a horse to water ...

One of the challenges is seeing the facilities from the eye of the users or potential users, rather than non-users.

Redways are interesting, should be a perfect solution, but don't suit a lot of people. Some reasons given here.

Redways are interesting, should be a perfect solution, but don't suit a lot of people. Some reasons given here.
I've not read the link. But I've heard all the pro's and cons arguments ad nauseam
They were designed so that no one needed to be on the road, apart from motor vehicles
The pedestrians hate the dog walkers the cyclists hate everyone, and yet it's a shared space, they should just stop bitching, and use it as intended

...they should just stop bitching, and use it as intended
Alas, there are always those who just don't understand the concept of showing respect to one another. :(

Why is it that some people have to resort to ad hominems in place of any coherent argument?
Unfortunately some folk just attract it.

Campaign for a more frequent bus service? Work nearer home? 7 miles is still easily reachable by bicycle, for most able bodied folk. Would undoubtedly improve the health of individuals significantly (Britain is the most obese nation in Europe), thus reducing the burden on the NHS. Win-win.

But using individual examples doesn't tell the whole picture. 84% of the UK poulation live in urban areas. So excuses for private vehicle use become even less valid.
That's a great idea, campaigning for a "better bus service" when they are talking about actually only running it 3 days a week. It's rural, you can't just magic up "more jobs locally". Have you seen the hills in S.W Wilts & North Dorset? Believe me, Geraint Thomas & Chis Froome would struggle !!

Your ideals are wonderful but are just pipe dreams. Until we invest in better public transport and deliver a better charging infrastructure for EV's fossil fuel vehicles will continue to prevail.

MK was built around the car
I think that there is the key to why it doesn't actually work all that well. I've cycled around MK; it's ok, but it's not the most intuitive or efficient system for a cyclist. Dutch cities were designed around multiple transport systems, that's why they work so well. Amsterdam is a big, old city not designed for much other than walking and horses, but it still works far better as a cycling city than anywhere in the UK. And central Amsterdam is nowhere near the newer developed areas.
The pedestrians hate the dog walkers the cyclists hate everyone, and yet it's a shared space, they should just stop bitching, and use it as intended
Yet if cyclists or horse riders want to share the space they are entitled to, drivers start bitching and moaning about them. The problem is that in the UK, people are far too selfish and don't really want to share anything. This in itself is complex and has its own roots in the deeply entrenched class system, socioeconomics etc. As a society, we need to share things a lot more.

Unfortunately some folk just attract it.
I wear it as a badge of honour; when someone has nothing to say but abuse, then it's an indication they have failed in their arguments.

Your ideals are wonderful but are just pipe dreams. Until we invest in better public transport and deliver a better charging infrastructure for EV's fossil fuel vehicles will continue to prevail.
Of course, but that's not going to happen unless we have a change of regime. Not just government, because although I doubt Starmer's New New Labour would be quite as bad as the tories, I can't see them enacting the kind of changes needed. As long as someone, somewhere is making lots of money off the current mess, then nothing is going to really change.

I've cycled around MK; it's ok, but it's not the most intuitive or efficient system for a cyclist.
Obviously you haven't cycled it all then.
Everywhere is connected by redways.
And it does seem a little out of your patch

From my trips to MK it seems to be mostly aimed at roundabout fetishists rather than cyclists.
You obviously haven't used the red ways there are no roundabouts on them.
Just interconnection paths of red

Obviously you haven't cycled it all then.
Everywhere is connected by redways.
And it does seem a little out of your patch
I've cycled enough to see that it was never actually designed for cyclists and pedestrians, more simply to get them out of the way of motor vehicles. Wheras the Dutch system considered all types of journey and doesn't prioritise motor vehicles like they've done in MK. The problem with the redways is that they're fine if you're just going for a leisurely pootle, at slow speeds, but if you want to actually get somewhere quick, or get up a bit of speed, they're crap. Which is why many cyclists will still use the roads. As you've said, MK is designed around the car, not people.

I've cycled enough to see that it was never actually designed for cyclists and pedestrians, more simply to get them out of the way of motor vehicles.
I guess you could look at it that way, being designed, it was for safety's sake.

As you've said, MK is designed around the car, not people.
Or cyclists. Both should stay off the road ways for their own safety.

Hence the safety of the red ways, you can get everywhere without crossing a ( main) road, you just use the underpasses.
Health and safety (y)

Last edited:
I guess you could look at it that way, being designed, it was for safety's sake.
It was designed for the maximum efficiency of motor vehicle movement.

Or cyclists. Both should stay off the road ways for their own safety.
It's motor vehicles that cause the problems, not cyclists or pedestrians. A simple look at KoSI'ed figures shows this fact. The way forward is to drastically reduce motor vehicles on our road and in our urban areas. In the Netherlands, this is done by just making it a pita to drive anywhere in such areas. If the quickest journey between two points is by bicycle, then that makes it much more attractive than driving. In far too many places in the UK, services such as shops, medical care etc are a long way from where people actually live. This is due to a failure of planning. My Aunt lives in a stupid place in Cornwall, where there are no shops or anything and you have to drive because there's no public transport either. When the place was being developed just post WW2, nobody thought to actually provide services so that people wouldn't have to drive everywhere. Stupid.

Milton Keynes isn't actually too bad, it's much better than most towns and cities in the UK. But it's still not great. Remove most of the cars (MK is tiny, so no real need for most car journeys anyway), and you'd make it a much better place. Well, some might say nuking it flat again would improve it, but that's a bit drastic perhaps...

You just want cyclists out of YOUR way. Quite a selfish attitude. But you driving a car is actually the problem, not them. This is the reality most people need to wake up to. You're not 'stuck in traffic'; you ARE the traffic.

You just want cyclists out of YOUR way. Quite a selfish attitude.
I never said that,
But if I was still cycling, I would have been greatful for the redways far safer than the roads.
Sadly they were not built when I was cycling everywhere.

This is the reality most people need to wake up to. You're not 'stuck in traffic'; you ARE the traffic.
I have to admire those that moan and bitch about cars using the roads, and have the courage of their convictions not to drive one. (y)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I never said that,
You definitely implied it; 'you can lead a horse to water...'

I have to admire those that moan and bitch about cars using the roads, and have the courage of their convictions not to drive one.
I choose not to own a car, because where I live it's a complete waste of money. Car ownership is on average £5-6k ( you can buy a camera for that!) per year before you even factor in the cost of the car and maintenance etc. I choose to cycle (keeps me fit, I cost the NHS less as a result etc), use public transport or for the rare occasions I need private motor transport, I can happily pay someone else to drive me around. Chatting with a neighbour recently, about the holiday I'd just come back from, and he's saying 'you're lucky, I wish I could afford to go on holiday'. I pointed out that if he sold his car, which he only uses for very short trips anyway, he might be able to afford the odd holiday or five, each year. You can lead a horse to water...

Last edited:
If you don't understand the saying, it means you can provide the situation,
but if people take take it, more fool them.
I'm not forcing anyone to use them, but if they can't see the safety benefits ...

I choose not to own a car, because where I live it's a complete waste of money. Car ownership is on average £5-6k ( you can buy a camera for that!) per year
Insurance £320 / year
road fund £360 / year
Yes I drive a pocket rocket.
Fuel I have no idea maybe less than £50/ month. on average.
Servicing by a tame mechanic, very little a few bottles here and there.
Foreign holidays £0 I have no interest in these.

Last edited:
Insurance £320 / year
road fund £360 / year
Yes I drive a pocket rocket.
Fuel I have no idea maybe less than £50/ month. on average.
Servicing by a tame mechanic, very little a few bottles here and there.
Foreign holidays £0 I have no interest in these.
The figures I refer to relate to where I live. The average cost of running a car in the UK is over £3000. That's still one really nice holiday, or a couple of decent ones. As for foreign holidays; you should try one. Expand your horizons and experience.

If you don't understand the saying, it means you can provide the situation,
but if people take take it, more fool them.
I'm not forcing anyone to use them, but if they can't see the safety benefits ...
Oh I understand it alright. Here in London, it makes economic sense NOT to own a car, and there are loads of benefits of not doing so, yet people choose to keep paying to drive their cars. Then moan about not being able to afford a holiday....

As for foreign holidays; you should try one. Expand your horizons and experience.
Been there done those a few years.
But now there is still much of the UK I haven't explored.

Here in London,
If I lived in central London, I may not own a car either,
When I was driving for a living, years ago, I was there quite frequently, but not since those experiences they were quite enough.

The figures I refer to relate to where I live. The average cost of running a car in the UK is over £3000. That's still one really nice holiday, or a couple of decent ones. As for foreign holidays; you should try one. Expand your horizons and experience.

Oh I understand it alright. Here in London, it makes economic sense NOT to own a car, and there are loads of benefits of not doing so, yet people choose to keep paying to drive their cars. Then moan about not being able to afford a holiday....
It depends on your situation and where you live, I like to go exploring out of the way places here in the UK it’s just not possible where we live to do that without a car
we have also travelled abroad especially to see wildlife, in the last few years with the economy and exchange rate it’s out of our budget now to travel abroad

Are the bridges paid for by the 'Road Fund'? :ROFLMAO:
You have trolled once to often.
Enjoy your "staff ignore" Some of you have been lucky enough to experience it and will know what that means, the rest of you no need to thank me (y)
I'm just giving him a chance to read this :)

Last edited:
25% of UK households don't have access to a car.

I choose not to own a car, because where I live it's a complete waste of money. Car ownership is on average £5-6k ( you can buy a camera for that!) per year before you even factor in the cost of the car and maintenance etc. I choose to cycle (keeps me fit, I cost the NHS less as a result etc), use public transport or for the rare occasions I need private motor transport, I can happily pay someone else to drive me around. Chatting with a neighbour recently, about the holiday I'd just come back from, and he's saying 'you're lucky, I wish I could afford to go on holiday'. I pointed out that if he sold his car, which he only uses for very short trips anyway, he might be able to afford the odd holiday or five, each year. You can lead a horse to water...

£5-6k for VED and insurance...! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

£5-6k for VED and insurance...! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
+ Fuel, basic maintenance costs, depreciation, parking costs, Congestion Charge, fines, etc. So not just VED and insurance. London car insurance can be much higher than other parts of the UK, for obvious reasons. Add on the actual cost of the car, over the time it's owned, plus any major repairs etc, and that amount can increase significantly. Whilst £5-6k is the average, there will be many people paying a lot more than that. Annual running costs of £10k+ per year are not unheard of. And that's before we even get into those paying finance on cars...

By contrast; 30+ years of cycling has cost me less than £10k. And I've owned a fair few bikes. So that's around £333 per year, including the costs of the bikes themselves. And of course; no VED, no insurance, no vehicle tax, no Congestion Charges, no parking charges, etc etc etc. I think I spend around £100 per year to keep our bikes running smoothly, and that's mostly in consumer items such as brake pads, inner tubes, the odd new tyre here and there. All our bikes are over 10 years old, and 2 are over 20 years old. That's incredible value for money imo. But the biggest value is in terms of benefit to health. You simply cannot put a price on that.

I see someone has changed my profile details. How very mature. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
+ Fuel, basic maintenance costs, depreciation, parking costs, Congestion Charge, fines, etc. So not just VED and insurance. London car insurance can be much higher than other parts of the UK, for obvious reasons. Add on the actual cost of the car, over the time it's owned, plus any major repairs etc, and that amount can increase significantly. Whilst £5-6k is the average, there will be many people paying a lot more than that. Annual running costs of £10k+ per year are not unheard of. And that's before we even get into those paying finance on cars...

By contrast; 30+ years of cycling has cost me less than £10k. And I've owned a fair few bikes. So that's around £333 per year, including the costs of the bikes themselves. And of course; no VED, no insurance, no vehicle tax, no Congestion Charges, no parking charges, etc etc etc. I think I spend around £100 per year to keep our bikes running smoothly, and that's mostly in consumer items such as brake pads, inner tubes, the odd new tyre here and there. All our bikes are over 10 years old, and 2 are over 20 years old. That's incredible value for money imo. But the biggest value is in terms of benefit to health. You simply cannot put a price on that.

I see someone has changed my profile details. How very mature. :ROFLMAO:

£550 'tax', insurance and MOT. I have my daily car and my weekend car on the road ready to use for less than £1000 a year.

Cycling is cheaper yes. It's also wetter and colder. Plus it's not easy to cycle to Stonehenge or the Dorset coast to photograph night skies :) I don't dislike cycling completely though :) I'd sooner commute by bike than bus.

I used to have a 10 year old Fiesta (diesel) for my local runabout and station car (when commuting). Total cost per year to own and run it including fuel for c3000 miles a year was about £900. That includes everything except depreciation which was negligible anyway on a car of that age (in fact I sold it for 1/3 of what I bought it for after 10 years use so that would be about £500/year max).
I don't cycle - too dangerous and unlike the Netherlands and much of London, it's not flat where I am (not hilly either admittedly but...) so I don't choose to get sweaty on the way to anywhere. Or wet. Or cold. Buses now are free with my bus pass but take ages and never go where you want them to. Trains are stupidly expensive. I would keep and ride a horse everywhere, but the infrastructure doesn't exist anymore, it was deprecated over the last 120 years. But a horse each would cost as much as that Fiesta to keep, and would also depreciate by a similar proportion albeit at slower rate.
And in the real world outside London/Birmingham/Manchester/Glasgow, public transport is woefully inadequate, especially if you don't live in a biggish town.

I thought cycling in Ireland was rough until I read all of this thread! :eek:

I can get into town about 4x faster than any car on any given work day. Sure I get wet now and then, but I'm still earlier than those stuck in the grind, moving a few feet every minute if lucky.

There's room for all on the roads, if everyone sticks to the rules, there'd never be an accident, don't think we can fingy-point at any specific mode of transport, dicks will be dicks no matter.

Arrant nonsense, unfortunately.

The humble family car was tiny. Just go to a classic car show. Or even have a look at the original Range Rover and see how small it is now.
Absolutely not. My large SUV (Land Rover Discovery 2; 4.0ltr V8; LPG) has a smaller footprint than my Mercedes estate car and costs less to run (p/m) using cleaner fuel.

The humble family car may have been tiny back in the 1970's but who drives a classic car these day? Even the current humble mini is almost as big as my SUV.

Talk about arrogance!

Back