Early Day Motion started in Parliament regarding street photography

wack61

I've got an itchy hatch
Edit My Images
No
After reading the thread regarding photographers rights to take photos in public places I thought the forum may be interested in Austin Mitchells early day motion to get the law clarified

http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=35375&SESSION=891
PHOTOGRAPHY IN PUBLIC AREAS

Mitchell, Austin

That this House is concerned to encourage the spread and enjoyment of photography as the most genuine and accessible people's art; deplores the apparent increase in the number of reported incidents in which the police community support officers (PCSOs) or wardens attempt to stop street photography and order the deletion of photographs or the confiscation of cards, cameras or film on various specious ground such as claims that some public buildings are strategic or sensitive, that children and adults can only be photographed with their written permission, that photographs of police and PCSOs are illegal, or that photographs may be used by terrorists; points out that photography in public places and streets is not only enjoyable but perfectly legal; regrets all such efforts to stop, discourage or inhibit amateur photographers taking pictures in public places, many of which are in any case festooned with closed circuit television cameras; and urges the Home Office and the Association of Chief Police Officers to agree on a photography code for the information of officers on the ground, setting out the public's right to photograph public places thus allowing photographers to enjoy their hobby without officious interference or unjustified suspicion.

Only a handful of MPs have signed it so far, I've written to mine asking her to sign up to it, if we all write to our MP it may gain some weight and put an end to the impending police state.

You can find and email your MP by putting your postcode in the link below

http://www.writetothem.com/

Can't hurt, it's about time my mp did something useful :)

I heard about this on the local BBC radio station this morning, they said that as a keen photographer himself Mr Mitchell was keen to be able to enjoy his hobby without feeling like a terrorist.

done, although I'm not sure my local tory mp will do much. But we shall see...

It seems austin mitchell is a photographer aswell, his weblog.

The Photo Gallery is now back online where you can see Austin's passion for photography displayed. Clicking on Out and About in Grimsby will take you to a special album of photos taken by Austin in Grimsby alongside descriptions of and anecdotes on the photos.

http://www.austinmitchell.org/

done, excellent idea hopefully more will sign and stop police making up thier own rules as they go

also done all togs should do it
GWH

Worthy of support.

Unfortunately my MP is Jacqui Smith, who has rarely been known to take interest in anything except re-election and never to have turned up in her constituency except in pursuit of the same.

* Voted moderately against a transparent Parliament.
* Voted moderately for introducing a smoking ban.
* Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.
* Voted strongly for introducing foundation hospitals.
* Voted strongly for introducing student top-up fees.
* Voted strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
* Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
* Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
* Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
* Voted very strongly for the hunting ban.
* Voted very strongly for equal gay rights.

* Hardly ever rebels against their party in this parliament.

It is widely known that if you want something doing in Redditch you have to contact the MP for Bromsgrove, who is a conservative.

Done

Done - Jim Knight has another email.

Now to blame him for being late for work :D

B.

All done. I look forward to David Heyes' response. :)

asked my MP to support, wait and see I guess.

Well spotted Wack,

perhaps the most important thread since I have been on this forum for over a year. I'll be writing in as soon as I get home tonight.

Good idea, this.

*wonders if Labour Nottingham will pull their fingers out long enough to do something about this*

Thanks for alerting us to this. I have written to my local MP Gavin Strang. I'll be interested to see if I get a response.

Sent an email to my MP at 22:30 yesterday, just checked and he has signed the EDM
well done Lindsay Hoyle, Lets hope his dad gets involved too, Lord Hoyle

Just sent an email to John Bercow (MP for Buckingham). Although he is a Tory, he is normally very responsive to his constituents - so we shall see.

Anthony.

Done.....doesn't it feel good....trying to do something about it...

Would love to, but it would seem that lil' Georgie Osborne doesn't want to play ball by giving his details to that site! (too important now that he's shadow chancellor?) :shake:

I'll have to track him down by other means! :bat: :nuts:

Ha! Found him and an e-mail has been sent. I'm not holding my breath though!

Done!

Do any of you have an example of what to write?

Do any of you have an example of what to write?

This is what I wrote to my MP

I am asking if you would back austin mitchell`s early day motion,photography in in public areas, there is a lot of problems with peoplebeing asked,told, to delete their photos because of terrorism, notallowed to take street photos etc. mostly by pcso`s and street wardens.We need to clarify the law.

Done.

Back