Early Day Motion started in Parliament regarding street photography

Ok, here's my request to my MP.

Dear Mark Francois,

As a keen amateur photographer I have been worried about the increase in confusion and misinterpretation of the laws surrounding public/street photography in the UK.

I have heard firsthand of equally keen amateurs being told they are not to photograph certain public areas/buildings for reasons of security, even when the areas are constantly covered by CCTV and it is perfectly legal to do so. Whilst I appreciate that in the current security climate it is important to be vigilant I believe the situations surrounding this matter are mainly due to a lack of understanding of the laws and an unfounded/irrational fear.

I feel that this enjoyable and rewarding pastime for many others and myself is under threat. I would therefore like to draw your attention to a recent Early Day Motion (EDM 1155) proposed by the MP Austin Mitchell, entitled "Photography in Public Areas" and kindly request that you review this and hopefully add your support to this by adding your signature.

:help:Come on all you viewers of this thread (over 1100) get writing to your MP's. Don't sit there thinking that banning of photography in public places will never happen. Take action to make sure it doesn't. If an MP thinks there might be some election votes to be had in banning it.....they will probably try.

Just emailed my MP, he does seem to be quite good over the years, so fingers crossed it will be another to the list.

David Laws had a mail of me a few days ago, I had (what I presume to be) an automated response but as of yet his name is not on the EDM and he hasn't replied in person :thinking:

My MP hasn't responded yet, or signed :razz:
Just signed the petition (y)

Nothing from Nottingham yet, I'd like to pretend I was surprised.

Just emailed Mark Simmonds (MP for Boston) and got an immediate auto response that implies a further personal response. We shall see.

Thank you for pointing this out (y)

If you haven't got an email reply from your MP yet, why not give them a tinkle on the old Dogandbone :shrug:

no reply from my MP Jacqui Lait MP, have just emailed her again in the hope she may do something....

I have emailed John Reid and i look forward to his reply based on the below.

Voted strongly for introducing ID cards. votes, speeches
Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws. votes, speeches

Going by that he should actually be supporting the Police etc, in their crusade against Photographers.

I've also emailed my local MP asking him to put his name on the motion. Will be interesting to see if he does or not :)

Still no reply or acknowledgement here (Save for the autoreponse)

I think my autoresponse was from the site, rather than the MP.

Ok - crazy - but I just got a response :D

Apparently my MP knows the MP who submitted this Early Day Motion quite well :)

Just emailed my MP, Gareth Thomas. I think he'd support this going by his activity in the commons over recent issues. (y)

I've just been checking out the voting history of my MP and I'll be very surprised if he puts his name to the motion...

Voted strongly against a transparent Parliament.
Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.
Voted very strongly for introducing student top-up fees.

Somehow I think that he will see photography in public spaces as a national security risk...

I've just been checking out the voting history of my MP and I'll be very surprised if he puts his name to the motion...

Voted strongly against a transparent Parliament.
Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.
Voted very strongly for introducing student top-up fees.

Somehow I think that he will see photography in public spaces as a national security risk...

Wow - what an MP you have!

just got a response from my 2nd email:-

"Thank you for your email to Mrs Lait.
A letter dated 17th March (in reply to your original email dated 13th
March) should you with you shortly, in which Mrs Lait has taken up the
matter.
I am sure you will appreciate that she receives a high volume of
correspondence and we aim to deal with all enquiries as soon as humanly
possible"

oh my heart bleeds for these poor overworked mp's
i'll let you know her response when i get the letter.....

5 days and no new signatures, still at 23 :(

matter.
possible"

To be fair, email went out on Thursday and you have a response on Monday... not unreasonable. :)

Anthony.

PS. Mr. Bercow hasn't even acknowledged mine, but shall be patient and see if I do get a reply. :thinking:

^^ I haven't had a response yet, just an email to say i will get a response ;)

Received a letter from the PA to my MP.

He is currently looking into this and will give me a full response shortly, apparently.

matter.
possible"

Check her expenses from the MP details site and you may find your heart bleeds even more.

They do, but within a time frame. We're being impatient because this is the internet and we want things done quickly :D

Ok done, I do have some hope for David Howarth given his voting record.

Alex

Received an encouraging e-mail from Anne Moffat (East Lothian) the same night as I originally wrote to her. She said she was fully supportive of the motion and intimated that she'd sign up.

I don't see her signature on the list though and its been close to a week. Think I'll remind her tonight.

Austin Mitchell is my MP, so I can't really ask him to sign it :LOL:

The irony is, that if I was to actually take my camera out in Grimsby it would likely be destroyed by the burberry wearing residents that Grimsby seems to have in abundance. So I don't really have to worry about the police

Back