Early Day Motion started in Parliament regarding street photography

My MP wrote to the transport police because of a similiar incident but says he isn't signing the EDM. Needless to say I've advised that he reconsider. ;)

Wrote to my MP David Willetts on 2nd Sep and got a reply from him this morning:

"Thank you for drawing this EDM to my attention. I agree with you and I have signed in support. In general, I believe it is important that people are aware of what their rights are. You are right that, except in exceptional circumstances, it is not an offence to take photographs in public places, indeed, thousands of people do all through the UK every day."

Good on him!!

My MP (Michael Fallon) has apparently already taken action on this topic. I have reproduced below the text of the response he received from Tony McNulty (Home Office):

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your letter to Bridget Prentice of 20 March on behalf of Mr X of address Y regarding his concerns about possible restrictions on photography in public places. I am replying as the Minister responsible for this policy area.

I can assure Mr X there is no legal restriction on photography in public places, and there is no presumption of privacy for individuals in a public place.

It is for the Chief Constable to ensure that Officers and Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) are acting appropriately with regards to photography in public places, and any queries regarding this should be addressed to the Chief Constable.

However, decisions may be made locally to restrict photography, for example to protect children. Any questions on such local decisions should also be addressed to the force concerned.

signed Tony McNulty

I suggest that we all carry a copy of this letter in our camera cases, like a sort of talisman.

Please let your MP know if you continue to receive harrassment from petty officials despite showing this letter.

I have contacted my MP, the Rght Hon Keith Hill MP, but I'm not holding out much hope, not only have I not recieved a reply (except for the automated one) but looking through the records, in the 16 years he has been an MP, he has not signed a single EDM.

I will take that back. I recieved a reply from him today.

Thank you for your email in which you ask me to sign Early Day Motion 1155 condemning police action against lawful photography in public places. I regret that I am unable to do so. I sign EDMs only in very exceptional circumstances. My personal view is that the EDM is a currency which has been debased by excessive use.

Although police officers have the discretion to ask people not to take photographs for public safety or security reasons, the taking of photographs in a public place is not subject to any rules or statute. There are no legal restrictions on photography in a public place and no presumption of privacy for individuals in a public place. It is important that people are free to take photographs in a public place.

If you have any direct examples of the police or PCSO's - either in Lambeth or elsewhere in London - being heavy handed in their approach, I would happily raise the matter with senior police officers.

Yours sincerely

Rt Hon Keith Hill MP.

So support for the idea, but no to the signing.

I have done this today.
Got an automated reply to say he was out of the office untill the 12th October.
We shall see what happens

Pete

Jim Knight has now recieved another request for this to be signed, copied Marcel's words from earlier in the thread, I couldn't have put it better myself :)

We'll see what he says. I know he's already been emailed and he's not signed it. Seems daft though, Doret's a big tourist area, you can't swing a cat without hitting a tog in most places.

Charles Hendry - MP for Wealden says he is unwilling to sign the EDM 'criticising our police force'.

Didn't realise the EDM was doing that?

pete

Done, thanks so much for the link! Not really happy with my MP though :( He voted strongly for ID cards!

My MP David Curry has already signed, but I've sent him an email anyway. Keeps him busy.

My local MP can't sign it as he's the next level up from the MPs who make the EDMs. He's one of the bods who recieve it once it's signed, but I gather he's quite interested in photography...and nobody round here likes the fuzz, so I don't see why he should! They make him and his local government look awful!

Signed, sealed and delivered - Now lets see if my elected Labour MP (whom I didnt vote for) will do something. I actually wonder if they reply top all their e-mails?? :)

I Didn't realize that their was so many photograghers in my small town. 52 of us!:)
Have signed

I read it and thought, a long winded way of saying nothing at all, which is what we have come to expect from politicians and wasn't unexpected.

I've done mine again! In case Ivan Lewis didn't get my first one!

A week later & still no reply! bout what I expected from Ivan Lewis!

A week later & still no reply! bout what I expected from Ivan Lewis!

I actually got a reply! In a lovely envelope with 'House Of Commons' on the front!
He said he has written to the "relevant Government Minister" on my behalf and will contact me when he gets a response. I am amazed! I am speechless! I have to take back what I said about The Rt Hon Ivan Lewis!
More when the reply comes.

Back