eBay selling advice needed ... am I being set up?

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd like some advice as to whether I'm potentially susceptible to some sort of scam here.

I'm selling a large item on eBay and it's listed as "buyer collect only" because it's impractical to post it.

I've just had someone ask me if he could collect the item immediately after the auction ends (assuming he wins it if course). He says "I can only be in Maidenhead for a short while immediately after the close of bidding on Monday."

That just seems a bit odd to me, which is why I'm suspicious. If he pays with PayPal, is there any sort of timescale which is required for the payment to be cleared and completely guaranteed? I'm thinking along the lines of... 14:30 auction ends and buyer pays, 15:00 buyer collects, 15:30 PayPal say there's a problem with the payment. Is there anything like that I should be worrying about?

StewartR said:
I'd like some advice as to whether I'm potentially susceptible to some sort of scam here.

I'm selling a large item on eBay and it's listed as "buyer collect only" because it's impractical to post it.

I've just had someone ask me if he could collect the item immediately after the auction ends (assuming he wins it if course). He says "I can only be in Maidenhead for a short while immediately after the close of bidding on Monday."

That just seems a bit odd to me, which is why I'm suspicious. If he pays with PayPal, is there any sort of timescale which is required for the payment to be cleared and completely guaranteed? I'm thinking along the lines of... 14:30 auction ends and buyer pays, 15:00 buyer collects, 15:30 PayPal say there's a problem with the payment. Is there anything like that I should be worrying about?

If he wins, insist he pays cash on collection. No need for expensive PayPal for collections (just make sure auction doesn't require instant payment)

Only safe way is to get him down to your bank to pay cash into your account.

Your rights as a seller on Paypal are pretty poor in any case.

makes sure it is not a e cheque when he pays , why no ask for him to pay on credit card to be safe ,

you can always ring pay pal to confirm payent if you are unsure is he a new buyer has he got good feedback me personally i would say cash only as i think your only covered upto £500

Hi Stewart,

I would be wary too, ok he might only be able to afford it from his credit card hence the Paypal payment. But it takes 3 to 5 for it to clear into your bank account so theoretically you should'nt hand it over until then and even if you did wait the buyer can still raise an issue with Paypal and have payment frozen from your account.

What gets me with buyers us that they expect you to post an item the minute they Paypal the payment but you don't even physically have the money yet.

If it was me I would be wanting cash on collection or they could Paypal the payment, take the item return home and then cancel payment.

Plus if it is going to be cash then take someone with you in case he brings a couple of 'mates'

He/she could of course be genuine and have nothing to worry about, the decision of course, is yours lol.

Mike

Last edited:
If he wins, insist he pays cash on collection. No need for expensive PayPal for collections (just make sure auction doesn't require instant payment)

+1 from me.

I can imagine a situation (I've been there myself) of coincidentally being in the vicinity of the vendor's home town and having a small opportunity to collect. I'd certainly offer to pay cash in such circumstances.

Otherwise if it has to come through paypal, insist on transferring the money out of your paypal a/c before letting go of the goods.

Share your concerns with the guy, if he's honest he'll want to work with you. If he's dishonest he could run a mile.

If they are thinking of paying via paypal when collecting in person then I'd say that you are being set up for a fall.

Insist on cash only.

I agree with everyone here (pretty much) - cash on collect.

Never part with an item before payment.

Afterthought from me: there's very little worse than a buyer who wins but then drags their feet over collecting.

From the buyers perspective, they might what to pay by credit card (via paypal) then collect, and so might not have the cash.
You might be unlucky and he might slap in a 'not delivered' claim and you have no proof otherwise.... You would have his address from paypal though and can 'recover' your goods back.

You have said collect only, so really he is just doing what you have asked... Albeit on a shorter timescale.

Ive been in the situation as a buyer, where Im going to be in a town for a short while and have collected goods, and payed via paypal, but as a seller I'd be wary.

The buyer simply has to start a claim with Paypal that he hasnt recieved the item, and you are screwed. Unless you have some concrete evidence (hidden video for example) that the person collected the goods, then you will loose the money and the item.

That said, even if he pays you cash, he can still file an ebay claim, but the results of that would be less clear. They might say tough luck as he didnt use paypal.

Definately cash on collection, not cheques or anything else that might bounce etc. He must have the money to make the purchase so its no hardship to hand over those crispy £notes.

Realspeed

Don't accept Paypal with collection items. You MUST have proof of posting, and delivery to have any chance of defending any chargebacks or "not recieved claims".

Don't accept Paypal with collection items. You MUST have proof of posting, and delivery to have any chance of defending any chargebacks or "not recieved claims".

This...
I've been had before like that...NEVER again. Cash or collection or wait for me to post...if you don't like it.....buy from somewhere else.

That's my motto now :)

+1 from me.

Otherwise if it has to come through paypal, insist on transferring the money out of your paypal a/c before letting go of the goods.

Transferring the money out of Paypal means nothing if Paypal decide to reverse the transaction. You'll just end up with a negative balance and after a few months Paypal will pass it over to a debt collection agency who will take you to court if the balance remains unpaid!

This happened to me on a mobile phone sent to America, even though I had sent via Fed Ex and it was signed for at the other end. My mistake was selling and shipping to a non-verified Paypal address.

Cost me a £200 phone and about £35 to ship :(

This...
I've been had before like that...NEVER again. Cash or collection or wait for me to post...if you don't like it.....buy from somewhere else.

That's my motto now :)

It's well known scam, there was a lot of it before Christmas, just google "paypal + collection scam".

Paypal Seller Protection (which is a paper tiger anyhow) specifically excludes collection from Protection - what is baffling is that Ebay (who own Paypal) insist you display that logo even for collection only items..

I'd be VERY careful with this. Could be totally legit but sounds a bit fishy to me.

I'd do two things.
Get them to pay cash on collection
Print out the page from ebay of the end of the auction and get the buyer to sign it. That way you have proof you handed the goods over.

Exactly as Andy says, never, ever, accept Paypal and then allow the buyer to collect and only ever ship to the registered Paypal address and even then make sure it is exactly the name/address registered with Paypal.

If you take cash, check that they are not forgeries as well. If it is a large amount insist on meeting at a bank and pay the money directly into your account as the bank can check that they are not forgeries.

If you take cash, check that they are not forgeries as well. If it is a large amount insist on meeting at a bank and pay the money directly into your account as the bank can check that they are not forgeries.

(y)

+1 to this. the scammers never stop being creative.

Could easily be paying though a hacked account as well.

If he wants to pay buy card, can you not get him to pay chip n pin through the business?

If not, then cash only!

Let us know.

I suppose the value of the item comes in to how careful you are. Are we talking 10s, 100s or 1000s of pounds?

The other point is did you have a lot of interest in the item? If you did you could always cancel the sale and relist it.

CASH ONLY.

Paypal will clear the funds immediately, but it would be too easy for the buyer to claim "non receipt". Paypal would as you for proof of delivery and you would have none.

Paypal are not interested in your personal proofs, only courier online proof.

So collection is fine, but COD.

Avoid PayPal at all costs as the seller has absolutely no protection whatsoever!

The buyer can pay by PayPal turn up collected the goods and then straight away open a dispute saying the goods were damaged or not as described. PayPal will then refund the buyer and the seller never sees his goods again, leaving him out of pocket with no goods.

My mate nearly got scammed with some very expensive motorbike bits.

Whilst I agree cash is king in these circumstances, why not ask him to pay as paypal gift, works on here well, that way he has not much of a leg to stand on dispute wise as far as paypal are concerned he just gave someone money as a gift so much less possibility of dispute, I have heard some say it is still not safe but have yet to find anyone that actually had a ppg reversed on them?

If his reason for having to use pp is the need to use card then he should have no qualms doing it this way, plus saves you potentially too from fees?

Having read these rather depressing posts.... Cash on collection? Seriously? You cannot insist on that, you must offer paypal as a payment option... And personally if i bought something (expensive) even if collection only i would want to be covered by the consumer credit act, i would want to pay by paypal/credit card in case i am scammed by the buyer, either not aknowledging the payment in ebay, or the item not being as described and the seller telling me to F O.
I'm not saying that either will hapoen here, but the buyer doesn't know it.

Allow paypal, as per your advert and the rules. If in doubt sign him into your pc and get him to leave you feedback there and then so it demonstrates he has it.

Avoid PayPal at all costs as the seller has absolutely no protection whatsoever!

The buyer can pay by PayPal turn up collected the goods and then straight away open a dispute saying the goods were damaged or not as described. PayPal will then refund the buyer and the seller never sees his goods again, leaving him out of pocket with no goods.

My mate nearly got scammed with some very expensive motorbike bits.
your mate must have done something wrong, as paypal do not refund until they have signed for proof that the damaged/not as described goods have been returned. I know this, because ive done it.

Personally I would be wary paypal isn't very good at all! I was buying an item on eBay (I can't remember the value) let's say £100 as a silly mistake I never checked my bank balance I won't the item and paid, I received the item a few days later, I checked my bank shortly after and the £100 payment had taken me over my overdraft so my bank refused the payment a d charged me £35 fee and nothing was said from paypal so in the end I got a £100 item for £35 without paypal even noticing untill I reported the mistake to them!

Allow paypal, as per your advert and the rules. If in doubt sign him into your pc and get him to leave you feedback there and then so it demonstrates he has it.

That is no defence against a chargeback.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are giving really bad advice. Anyone could turn up with a hacked account, pay with that hacked account, and the real account owner, could quite legitimately ask for a reversal.

Paypal are very clear on this issue:

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/safetyadvice/SellerProtectionOnEbay.htm

Ebay also allow sellers to write "cash on collection" for collection items.

Last edited:
Wow, not really bad advice though is it? It is very simply stating what is very clearly expressed in the conditions of your listings.
Now seriously, dont have a pop at me, and im not defending or attacking anything, i say it how it is...
If you refused paypal on every item because it could be hacked? Well i can only assume that you wouldnt make very many sales! :bang:

Paypal is instant, you'll see the money there immediately. Im not sure what reason there is to be suspicious!

Paypal can take the money back from your paypal account, they can even stop a withdrawal to your bank account.

Im speaking from experience here. They want proof of postage. Theres nothing to stop the buyer coming to collect then filing a dispute with paypal to say the goods never arrived, or that their paypal account was hacked.

I'm all for accepting paypal, as long as the buyer can wait for it for me to send it. Like I said before, it's either that or cash on collection for me.

Once bitten, twice shy

Wow, not really bad advice though is it? It is very simply stating what is very clearly expressed in the conditions of your listings.
Now seriously, dont have a pop at me, and im not defending or attacking anything, i say it how it is...
If you refused paypal on every item because it could be hacked? Well i can only assume that you wouldnt make very many sales! :bang:

cash on collection because - the buyer easily can say that he didn't get the item etc so then paypal refunds the buyer. the 20.00 end and 20.30 collect seems too sketchy, but psychologically works on people because they think - oh ! 1/2h and done deal ! never have to worry about it again
another sign of scam - if the price goes higher than the usual price on BIN price.
having bought/sold couple of things in ebay I'm verrrry skeptical and always in the red alert.

Sorry, i think the selective quoting is misrepresenting actually what im saying, if you 'deny' the option of paypal, you run other risks.

This is why i suggested maybe getting the buyer to leave feedback on site, which would in effect prove they were in receipt... And also not a hacked account (which seems to be a favorite on here!).

This was dismissed as poor advice, so, i'll leave it as good luck to the op.

Ive bought and sold some significant items on ebay, so im pretty clear on how it and the claims process works. :)

Eta, in response to the above, why do you think a 'local pickup only' sale would have a sucessful not delivered claim?!

Last edited:
Eta, in response to the above, why do you think a 'local pickup only' sale would have a sucessful not delivered claim?!

Sorry to selective quote you again :) But you do actually have a point there. I might re-read the rules to see what would constitute proof of collection in that case

Back