EF100-400F4.5-5.6L IS USM

PIKEMAN

Dances with Squidgers
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I am considering taking the plunge and getting myself my first bit of L glass,already been in touch with Kerso. Would be using lens mostly for the zoo's and wildlife photography. I have read that dust can be a problem with the push pull models, has anybody experienced this problem.
Also, would love to hear any comments about this lens, good or bad .
Thankyou Steve.

Lens is awful, dust everywhere ;)

Joke by the way ! lol

This was taken with my 100-400, theres loads more in my gallery if you follow the link below ! Pretty much every pic but a very limited few were taken with that lens.

0827-141001-01.jpg

Cant fault it, never had a problem with dust ingestion unless im stupid and change lens in the field in which case it doesnt matter what lens it is.

I use some Push / Pull lenses and dust ingestion should only really be a problem if you're shooting in extensively dusty environments.

That said, the 100-400L is a favourite of safari 'togs - and it copes just fine.

If you are going for motorsport then you might find this lens too slow. It's not regarded as the fastest focusing/tracking beastie.

On the otherhand it is as said a great wildlife option.

The 100-400L is a superb lens and I would buy one again given the choice :)
Dust isn't a problem; the end chamber is sealed. If you twist the zoom ring on any lens and put your hand over the back you'll feel air movement.

Few examples

brown-duck-3.jpg

bmw-m3-csl.jpg

karting-2.jpg

robin.jpg

These are such stunning shots!!! I feel my wallet weakening!!

:agree: .. must ... not ... touch ... CreditCard... must not...

Fantastic lens.... don't hesitate.. you'd be very unlucky to get a bad copy. Wildlife togs such as Andy Rouse swear by the flexibility of this lens when their monster primes are just too long.

Missing_feathers.jpg

Thoughtful.jpg

All the example shots are stunning . You could all be sale's reps for canon!!:LOL: Made my mind up, but spending that type of money, always nice to have second opinion. Who better to ask than those with hands on experience.
PLEASE POST ME SOME MORE EXAMPLE SHOTS, I NEVER GET TIRED OF LOOKING AT GREAT PHOTOS.
Thankyou for comments Steve

Thanks for starting this thread Steve. I've been considering one of those beasts m'self :love: Now I've seen the shots in this thread I don't think I'm in any doubt (y) KEEERRRRSSSOOOOOOOO............:wave:

Ian, you're work is just stunning :notworthy:

CRW_6258.jpg

CRW_5819.jpg

CRW_2748.jpg

CRW_8120-01.jpg

IMG_1661-01.jpg

I don't use mine much but when I do I love the flexability of it and the quality of the image.

The 100-400 is a great lens the push/pull zoom feels a bit strange at first, but once you get used to it it's fine.

Survived a harsh week in the Mara with dust everywhere

Highly recomended (y)

IMG_8822.jpg

IMG_8599.jpg

Arrgh these are soooo good!!!!

Mind you, the skill is in who is holding the camera not whats attached to it!!!!

Still I can feel a purchase so close...!

oldgit said:
If you are going for motorsport then you might find this lens too slow. It's not regarded as the fastest focusing/tracking beastie.
Seems OK to me ;)

100_6898.jpg

Oh for goodness sake will you guys stop it now! I'm now seriously soncisering one of these alongside the 70-200f2.8! How does it compare weight-wise - anyone know?

Hmmmm....cheers Ian! Must be said that the flipping 70-200 feels every last gram of that weight too - not sure how I'm going to get on through my first speedway meeting with it! I shallhave to consider looking at the idea of adding the 100-400 to my kit at some stage I think - by the time I add a 2x TC to the weight loadings on the 70-200 to get to the 400mm it'll be significantly lighter and no loss of light either.

I shall have to consider looking at the idea of adding the 100-400 to my kit at some stage I think - by the time I add a 2x TC to the weight loadings on the 70-200 to get to the 400mm it'll be significantly lighter and no loss of light either.

It will be a big cost compared to using the 70-200 + 2xTC and the quality is still as good.

This pic was taken using 70-200 f2.8 L IS + 2xTC

100_1146.jpg

Shot Details

Canon 1Ds
Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS + 2xTC
1/640 second
f 5.6
ISO 100

That's really interesting Mho01. I have been contemplating either the 70-200 f2.8 IS + 2x converter or the 100-400 but was lead to believe that the 2x converter gave very soft results. I REALLY don't want to spend that kind of money and get disappointing results. I read a comparison here which pretty much convinced me that the 100-400 was the way to go, but now I've just seen the pic you've posted above I'm in a quandry again! I don't suppose you've got any more taken with that lens and converter that you fancy posting have you?

That's really interesting Mho01. I have been contemplating either the 70-200 f2.8 IS + 2x converter or the 100-400 but was lead to believe that the 2x converter gave very soft results. I REALLY don't want to spend that kind of money and get disappointing results. I read a comparison here which pretty much convinced me that the 100-400 was the way to go, but now I've just seen the pic you've posted above I'm in a quandry again! I don't suppose you've got any more taken with that lens and converter that you fancy posting have you?

I have lots somewhere on my drive i will try to get some out for you soon

This was also with the 70-200 & 2x TC - handheld, and in VERY poor light. I was deeply impressed with the results considering I'd been fully expecting to have disappointing results using the 2x.

8768Squidge-01.jpg

ISO640. f6.3

My only real reason for considering a 100-400 is the weight issue - I have REAL problems handholding for any length of time with the 2x on board and I'm very aware that the other lens will give me similar results for substantially less weight. I guess what it comes down to it how easily I get used to the weight issue though. :shrug:

This was also with the 70-200 & 2x TC - handheld, and in VERY poor light. I was deeply impressed with the results considering I'd been fully expecting to have disappointing results using the 2x.

That's a superb shot considering the ISO and light conditions.

My only real reason for considering a 100-400 is the weight issue - I have REAL problems handholding for any length of time with the 2x on board and I'm very aware that the other lens will give me similar results for substantially less weight. I guess what it comes down to it how easily I get used to the weight issue though. :shrug:

That's a very good point you make. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to hold either of these lenses but, judging from what you're saying, the 70-200 starts to get a bit weighty after a while. Considering I'm mainly going to be using the lens for motorsport, weight could be a real issue. Kinda sways me back to the 100-400 TBH :shrug:

If you can hang on for an opinion on how the weight works out until speedway starts again in march then I can let you know then how I get on with it through 2 hours of a meeting!

Thanks for your kind comments on the shot also - I was quite pleased considering a) the conditions and b) the fact that it was the first time I'd used the beastie!

If you can hang on for an opinion on how the weight works out until speedway starts again in march then I can let you know then how I get on with it through 2 hours of a meeting!

I'll try, March is a long way away though :eek: I don't know if I can be that patient :LOL: Thanks for your help and advice Witch and sorry for hijacking your thread Pikeman :embarrassed:

I'll try, March is a long way away though :eek: I don't know if I can be that patient :LOL: Thanks for your help and advice Witch and sorry for hijacking your thread Pikeman :embarrassed:

NO PROBLEM Grendel, my mind was made up after the first 5 replies, just sat back and enjoyed the brilliant photo's on this thread.
THANKS EVERYBODY.(y) :) :)

Back