Electric razors

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking for a decent electric razor. At the moment I have a Philishave battery model, it is worse than useless, it needs about 12 passes to the face to get a somewhat decent shave. What do you use ?.

I've never really got on with them, they never seem to get close enough. I had a Phillishave, it was one of their top ones at the time but the results were mediocre. Electric razors are ok for a quick shave but a wet shave after a hot shower or bath takes some beating.

I'm actually using the Harry's range at the moment, one of the best shaves I've had.

What do you use ?.

The Santa look! I get horrendous razor rash from any method I've tried so have been bearded since it was a beard rather than bum-fluff.

The only good thing about an electric razor is that you can’t cut yourself.

For the past 10 years or so I have been using an Edwin Jagger double-edged safety razor. Fantastic razor, fantastic shave, and if used with a good quality shaving cream/soap it will leave your skin feeling silky smooth all day long.

I've been using the Harry's wet shave stuff too. I also find that electric shavers just don't get close enough, although my lad swears by his Phillips "One Shave".

I'm letting it all come back at the moment (much to the wife's annoyance!).

Another +1 for wet shaving here, I have Edwin Jagger razors too, and I find the Lord blades best for my skin and beard. I bought a sample set from this company and haven't looked back

Thanks for your replies.

I have been using electric razors since 1954 and I guess I am a bit long in the tooth to change now.

Another +1 for wet shaving here,
Me too - I gave up electric shaving decades ago, nasty things that gave me razor burn. :(

For a very long time I've been using the Wilkinson Sword Protectors and plain water - no soap or similar - then a dab of Witch Hazel, a very nice lassie against whom I will hear nothing said... :naughty:

Wilkinson Sword Protector 3 Razor Ixus 70 IMG_4380.JPG

Last edited:
I have a Philishave 9000. This currently costs and insane amount of money but I bought it about 18 months ago when it was £100 less and cheaper than the 7000. (Not the ludicrously expensive 9000 Prestige :) )

It's very very good. Using it dry it's very quick and shaves OK. Using it wet in the shower it shaves very well. Using it wet with a drop of Sukin shave gel the shave is excellent. It's not as good as many people get with a double edged razor - but it's consistently better than I used to get with a DE (Used to use a Rockwell with some nice Russian blades and decent soap).

Charging seems to last about a month. Cleaning is quick and easy. I got a free supply of the magic cleaning device when I got it and although it works fine I won't be renewing the liquid as it's a significant waste of plastic. Bluetooth app is fun for the first couple of goes but basically silly.

I bet a 7000 would be great. But if you can get a deal on the 9000 they are excellent.

I have a Philishave 9000. This currently costs and insane amount of money but I bought it about 18 months ago when it was £100 less and cheaper than the 7000. (Not the ludicrously expensive 9000 Prestige :) )

It's very very good. Using it dry it's very quick and shaves OK. Using it wet in the shower it shaves very well. Using it wet with a drop of Sukin shave gel the shave is excellent. It's not as good as many people get with a double edged razor - but it's consistently better than I used to get with a DE (Used to use a Rockwell with some nice Russian blades and decent soap).

Charging seems to last about a month. Cleaning is quick and easy. I got a free supply of the magic cleaning device when I got it and although it works fine I won't be renewing the liquid as it's a significant waste of plastic. Bluetooth app is fun for the first couple of goes but basically silly.

I bet a 7000 would be great. But if you can get a deal on the 9000 they are excellent.
Thanks

The only good thing about an electric razor is that you can’t cut yourself.
Let me introduce my father - he can cut himself with an electric razor... By far the worst was Philishave. Least worst so far (but still not perfect) Braun foil shavers. As long as I've been aware he's often managed to get a cut shaving using an electric...

Me, I struggled for 20 years not to have a face on fire after a shave and credit Tom Morton (used to be the afternoon prog on BBC Radio Scotland) mentioning he'd gone back to double edge. I gave it a go and whilst it's probably the proper prep using brush & soap, I've been converted.

Currently using a 1923 Gillette Bostonian - it's the shizz

Tried every type of electric and had some good results with a Philishave. Trouble is I never got a really close shave. At the moment I've got rid of my Santa special and gone back to my Merkur razors with Feather blades. It took about 3 shaves to work it out. I also use Taylors of Bond Street shaving soap and a real badger hair brush. I can get 2 days before its as close as a Philishave got.
Wet shaving isn't for everyone but its definitely worth a try.

I've been using a Philips One Blade for a few years now and its the best shaving method I have tried

I gave up with electrics years ago but I’ve used various makes and undoubtedly the best was a Phillishave. I had one that dispensed Nivea lotion to lubricate your skin. The genuine Phillips refills got to be silly money and didn’t actually contain much lotion anyway, so I bought a big tub of Nivea and worked out a way of injecting the stuff into the razor with a syringe meant for refilling inkjet cartridges.

I’ve long since switched to wet shaving, nothing fancy, just supermarket own brand disposable razors and shaving gel. They both work fine as long as you pre-wet your face with hot water first.

And my dad managed to cut himself with a Braun electric, but that was down to a fine crack in the razor foil.

You can only electric/battery shave to the thickness of the foil (even then only assuming that the cutter blades actually touch the foil to cut the hair poking through). A razor blade cuts the hair close to the skin. The finest electric razor that I used was a (German made) Braun in the 1970's. They moved the manufacturing to you know where and the quality disappeared! (Even the replacement foils were poor - in my opinion!) I tried other brands but they went the same route! I therefore went back to wet shaving. The foils (on electric razors) are known to tear and can give a nasty cut!

My last Phillishave disintegrated after many years service...just replaced it with one of these. https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/S7788_55/shaver-series-7000-wet-and-dry-electric-shaver
I hear all the arguments for a "Real" wet shave with "Real" blades but how close does a shave have to be?
Anyone who has met me will tell you I have little or no care for my appearence but I've just had my first ever wet shave with an electric razor and I'm really impressed.
I'm sure a real bladed shave would have got closer but I'm eaqually sure that it would have regrown to the level of my wet electric shave in a few hours. (y)

Last edited:
You can only electric/battery shave to the thickness of the foil (even then only assuming that the cutter blades actually touch the foil to cut the hair poking through).

This ^ Use an electric shaver for a workday shave where you only need to look 'tidy'. If you want a close shave then your only option is a razor and soap.

I've never really got on with them, they never seem to get close enough. I had a Phillishave, it was one of their top ones at the time but the results were mediocre. Electric razors are ok for a quick shave but a wet shave after a hot shower or bath takes some beating.

I'm actually using the Harry's range at the moment, one of the best shaves I've had.
I'm with you on that one. The Harry's razors are excellent (y)

Thanks for all your replies.

Bought the philishave 9000 prestige on recommend on here, this is the best electric shaver I have ever had, wonderful close shaving,
I hope you didn't pay the £650 Amazon currently want for a prestige :)

I have had a Philips Power Touch Pro for over a decade. You can use it wet in a shower if you wish but I only use it dry. I have always used electric and have no problems. I accept that some people have stronger beards which may be to tough for electric but fortunately, I am not in this category and have no need to spend more than 5 mins a day on shaving.

Dave

Saw this thread and thought about a 7000/9000 Philips, seems there are many models in the range, any pointers.

Saw this thread and thought about a 7000/9000 Philips, seems there are many models in the range, any pointers.
I recentlybought this version.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3Eb0OjZUk

I think they're (7000 series, don't know about the 9000) all basically the same unit, just with diffent levels of attachments and accesories...mine has Bluetooth so it can tell me how I'm doing, which I find absolutley laughable! I mean, really? :ROFLMAO:

I recentlybought this version.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3Eb0OjZUk

I think they're (7000 series, don't know about the 9000) all basically the same unit, just with diffent levels of attachments and accesories...mine has Bluetooth so it can tell me how I'm doing, which I find absolutley laughable! I mean, really? :ROFLMAO:
Based on my "research" when I bought mine, I agree. They put some fancy "smart" features on and fiddle with the build quality of the shell but they all basically give the same shave.

If one has a feature you like, buy that. Otherwise I just choose the cheapest which at the time was an entry level 9000.

The cleaning station is possibly worth a little if you can get it bundled. But the cleaning cartridges are very over priced and contain ridiculous levels of plastic. I'll be filling mine with a 3rd party fluid.

Back