Electric Shavers

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought THIS (paid £65 rather than the current £90) one last year but it's been disappointing, doesn't cut very well and I find myself going over the same area several times so it takes 10+ minutes for a shave.

Think I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new one, probably go back to Phillishave but does anyone have any recommendations?

I use this one Mark and it's the best I've found so far. It's on offer at the moment too - bargain: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J05R9DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very quick if you shave every day and it easily tackles a few day's growth too. I had a lazy week last week and didn't shave for four days - it just took a little longer, but was still just as good. (y)
Interestingly, that's the cheaper version of the one I've got. Maybe I just have stubborn facial hair. :thinking:

• Sad
Reactions: Sky
Phillips One Blade solved it for me.
My stubble is very tough, blunted the rotary heads from a Philishave on more than occasion.
Had some success with a Braun foil type, but these One blades are the business
Shaver
Charge lasts for ages, use wet or dry and easily cleaned too

I haven't used an electric shaver for many years. I tried several and they all gave me razor burn, so I changed to a Wilkinson "Protector". A box of 4 blades lasts about a year and I don't get a sore face. The best advice I ever got on the subject was from a colleague who told me not to use soap or shaving cream but just to wet my face with tap water, then use distilled Witch Hazle as an aftershave - works for me. :D

Wilkinson Sword Protector Razor TZ70 P1030822.JPG

Phillips One Blade solved it for me.
My stubble is very tough, blunted the rotary heads from a Philishave on more than occasion.
Had some success with a Braun foil type, but these One blades are the business
Shaver
Charge lasts for ages, use wet or dry and easily cleaned too
Bit too thin for me to hold unfortunately
I haven't used an electric shaver for many years. I tried several and they all gave me razor burn, so I changed to a Wilkinson "Protector". A box of 4 blades lasts about a year and I don't get a sore face. The best advice I ever got on the subject was from a colleague who told me not to use soap or shaving cream but just to wet my face with tap water, then use distilled Witch Hazle as an aftershave - works for me. :D

View attachment 336952
I'd love to wet shave but I don't think I can afford to lose that much blood (I have little sensation in my fingers)
.I think it comes down to hair thickness, I tried a Braun years ago and found the same as you, I've been using Philips like this https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/S1332_41/shaver-series-1000-dry-electric-shaver-series-1000 since and find it works well for me.
Thanks Chris, I'll add that one to my shortlist.

I bought a Wahl Senior cordless a year or two ago, best thing I ever did!

What's this "shaver" thing of which you speak? :p

Any type of shaver with any form of soap/foam/gel etc. gives me razor rash, hence the beard.

I use this one Mark and it's the best I've found so far. It's on offer at the moment too - bargain: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00J05R9DW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's very quick if you shave every day and it easily tackles a few day's growth too. I had a lazy week last week and didn't shave for four days - it just took a little longer, but was still just as good. (y)
My schoolboy humour kicked in when o read this info:-
"Braun Series 3 ProSkin Electric Shaver For Men With Pop Up Precision Trimmer,.........."

But more seriously......I used to shave electric many years back, used rotary and foil and never got a decent close shave, likely down to individual differences in hair growth.

Now electric ones may have improved but I have stuck with wet shaving.

@Marc if one aspect of the issue is hand grip and fine muscle control.....is there a wet razor with a chunkier handle that would "work for you" to allow for cut free wet shaving?

if one aspect of the issue is hand grip and fine muscle control.....is there a wet razor with a chunkier handle that would "work for you" to allow for cut free wet shaving?
It's not just the grip, it's steadiness as well.

I bought a Wahl Senior cordless a year or two ago, best thing I ever did!
But that is not a razor, is it not? Not a razor for facial hair as mentioned by @Marc

FWIW I bought a Wahl cordless clipper(not that model) and it is has been great for cutting my own hair.....with a little help from my OH to check and 'finish' the bits I cannot manage to reach properly.

Last edited:
What's this "shaver" thing of which you speak? :p

Any type of shaver with any form of soap/foam/gel etc. gives me razor rash, hence the beard.
Still got to trim a beard, that Wahl I bought works well.

But that is a razor, is it not? Not a razor for facial hair.

FWIW I bought a Wahl cordless clipper(not that model) and it is has been great for cutting my own hair.....with a little help from my OH to check and 'finish' the bits I cannot manage to reach properly.
Not at all, works fine on my beard.

Still got to trim a beard, that Wahl I bought works well.

Do you? :p

Once in a while, when Mrs Nod cuts my hair, she tidies up around the cheeks using a Wahl Super Taper thing and scissors.

Not at all, works fine on my beard.
Ah! but does it actually give you a close shave which I surmise @Marc is talking about?

With my clipper to get as close as possible you need to take the length guide off and if unsteady can end up cutting the skin!

I am reasonably certain that both this and the shaver in the OP share the same cutting head.

I have one of these. The cutters go blunt within a few weeks, and are difficult to clean, resulting in a stink from the pate of hair, skin and lubricant that cannot be cleaned easily due to the poor head design. My previous shaver was a Braun Cruzer that had a single cutting head, which was easy to clean because the head and foil were separate. Unfortunately after more than 10 years of service it is falling apart.

My next shaver is likely to be from Panasonic.

I’ve been using Philips shavers for years
I dropped it broke one of the blades so tried a Braun but it didn’t shave as well felt and looked untidy afterwards
I bought a cheap Phillipshave again and it’s great really close shave

The thing is with 'shaving nirvana' is that trying out the likes of Wilkinson, Gillette and other wet razors it is not too costly to try & try again (I have used Gillette multi blades for many years and switched from Wilkinson)

However, an electric is more of an investment and costly to switch to other make/model without out personal certainty that it will 'work for you' :(

The cutters go blunt within a few weeks, and are difficult to clean, resulting in a stink from the pate of hair, skin and lubricant that cannot be cleaned easily due to the poor head design.

Hmm . . . I've been using mine almost daily for two years now and it's still as good as the day I got it. I think you must just have been unlucky. :(

I don't have a very heavy beard, but it grows like it's on steroids - if I go out for the evening, I'll need to shave again.

I've lost count of how many I've bought over the last fifty years and I think this is the best I've used. I've tried all the different types in that time as well - some cheap and some very expensive. Besides, the spares are cheap enough: https://www.amazon.co.uk/braun-shaver-parts-series-3/s?k=braun+shaver+parts+series+3

Last edited:
Hmm . . . I've been using mine almost daily for two years now and it's still as good as the day I got it. I think you must just have been unlucky. :(

I don't have a very heavy beard, but it grows like it's on steroids - if I go out for the evening, I'll need to shave again.

I've lost count of how many I've bought over the last fifty years and I think this is the best I've used. I've tried all the different types in that time as well - some cheap and some very expensive. Besides, the spares are cheap enough: https://www.amazon.co.uk/braun-shaver-parts-series-3/s?k=braun+shaver+parts+series+3

I know there have been a wide range of experiences with this, but the original head cut OK for about 3 weeks before going blunt & swapped out after 3 months, and the replacement (braun, not 3rd party) about 6 weeks before no longer being so effective. The second head was pleased to present me with razor burn too, which I had not expected. I am still using the second head because it is less bad than the first, but it has needed replacing for some time now, and shaving is slow.

Mine is used daily, always lubricated before use, always flushed with warm water afterwards, and sometimes washed using soap and an old toothbrush too. The heads do occasionally fall apart, but I haven't discovered the technique for separating them intentionally in order to give a good scrub.

Last edited:
I know there have been a wide range of experiences with this, but the original head cut OK for about 3 weeks before going blunt, and the replacement about 6 weeks before no longer being so effective.

Wow! That's not good is it? :(

I have a friend whose beard is so heavy that he has to use a fresh blade every day when he wet shaves and has never found an electric one that will do anything, but 'grab'. For that reason alone - as much as he hates it; he has a beard.

Braun S3 work just fine. I can't tolerate manual blade ones; they make skin very irritated. Or perhaps it was down to petrochemical based shaving foams or combination of both. I no longer use any synthetic cosmetics at all and that made a major difference overall.

I had a wee thought for a new electric razor, had a couple over the last 25 years, in Boots etc Braun razors with a rrp of £500! Even discounted to £200 I thought that was expensive, I’ll stick to my de blades with soap and a brush, I shave after a hot shower, helps with the cut on softened bristles I think.
But if someone knows of a reliable electric at a sensible price Santa may surprise me.

Last edited:
I wet shave every day using a safety razor, Gillette razor blades and a brush with Taylor of Old Bond St sandalwood shaving soap.......wonderful.
I use a skullshaver on my head.
Over the years I've tried many beard trimmers from Philips, remington, braun etc etc and none of them have lasted.
I bought a Hatteker trimmer kit with several attachments and it's been the best by far for trimming my beard.....

Last edited:
1921 Gillette Bostonian, Gillette Superthin blade (I bought out the entire supply from Mustafas in Singapore about 10 years ago), Cella classica soap applied with a badger brush.

Sheer perfection.

Given I haven't shaved much over the whole covid period I have neglected my straight razors and this is what neglect looks like. :confused: A little TLC and wipe with oil should prevent those specks of rust returning. It's still sharp mind you.

Lloyd, who made this for me, would not be pleased!

20211202_213128.jpg

1921 Gillette Bostonian, Gillette Superthin blade (I bought out the entire supply from Mustafas in Singapore about 10 years ago), Cella classica soap applied with a badger brush.

Sheer perfection.
I had to look that one up.

The design reminds me of the razor I 'learned' on, my dad's razor that I used in the late 60's to early 70's. He also had an old Remington mains electric.....that was an oddity (to me) in that you had to start it running. It had a recessed wheel that you had to 'flick' like the old style friction/flint lighters to get it running.

Both razors as I recall gave decent shaves

Talk about reminiscing :)

This has brought back a few memories ,in the 60’s I worked for Remington rand on the development team of the then new rechargable razors , around 3000 were sent out to customers f.o.c with the caveat they were sent back every 3 months for a check over . Some of the letters that came back with them would have us rolling round the office in tears , I.e someone had re-wired his charger and the battery then melted it’s way through a sideboard overnight ? Some came back like they hadn’t been cleaned in three months , it was a total scream with laughter job … we did find out that if you bent the hand end of a cleaning brush over in a C shape and soldered a pin to it coupled with a elastic band they made good arrows/darts bloody hurt if you got one fired at your bum , and if you dipped the brush end in methylated spirits ( cleaning medium) they also made good blazing arrows . Bit dodgy as we managed to set off the whole floors sprinkler system one day , the whole team got hauled in front of the MD for that but he couldn’t get rid of all of us possibly due to roaring with laughter at our antics . Those were happy days ,mental but happy

Last edited:
It's a personal choice.

I've been wet shaving for a little over 50 years. I still have the Gilette 'safety' razor my old man gave me when I was I teenager but I've always suspected that this is only safe compared with an open razor, and you can still do a good job of cutting yourself if you're not careful! I changed to a Gilette Mach 3 quite a while ago, no regrets at all. I don't use shaving foam or cream, always some sort of shaving soap (Trumper, Taylors or Wilkinson) and a brush.

I don't like electric shavers, they just don't work for me.

I changed to electric shaving about 10 years ago when the essential tremor in my hands started to turn shaving into a blood bath.
Replaced my first Braun about 3 years ago for a series 5 Type one.
The faster cutting head speed made a real difference.
I shave every day and it takes around five minutes on a dry face. no trouble at all. the result is not that far off from what I used to get wet shaving.

I tried a new Remmington one , it was rubbish and kept nipping me. still have it like new in a drawer unloved and unused.

With the braun I change the head about every 18 months to two years. and Give it a thorough ultrasonic clean every three months. It always cuts better afterwards.
I only charge it up every 27 to28 days shaving every day.

I've had a bunch of electric shavers through the years [Braun, Phillips. Panasonic etc] , for birthday/Christmas, and every single time reverted back to my old reliable - Gillette Mach 3/Fusion/Pro glide - whatever the new model was at the time. They just work, have always felt like I'd had a better, closer shave from that range than any electric , never once had a cut and I get a few weeks per blade before they start to feel blunt - I'm too lazy for any kind of maintanance

Atm I have the Pro-Glide battery powered handle, got a sweet deal on it with 8 blades for €22 [about £18] Normally I spend that much or more on just a pack of 5 blades. Even when it's full priced, for me, it's still worth it over a pricey/decent leccy shaver. Once you have the handle [I have a bunch of them in the bag] you only need buy a pack of blades every couple months

Here's a set [non battery powered] with 10 blades for only €32: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gillette-P...llette+proglide+battery&qid=1638641389&sr=8-2

That will do for a year and IMHO you won't find a cleaner fuss free shave

It's harder find deals on the Power version but they're out there

[edit] Found the Power Glide with 9 blades here for €35/£30: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R7RWZ7X/ref=emc_b_5_i

Last edited:
Philips S9000 series, not cheap but the best electric shave I've ever had.

Foil head lasts for two years before the cut suffers but other than that, excellent :)

Philips S9000 series, not cheap but the best electric shave I've ever had.

Foil head lasts for two years before the cut suffers but other than that, excellent :)

Just bought one of these - literally it arrived earlier today and just used it for the first time. Haven't used an electric shaver since the 90s when I had a red and black Philishave :) I've used a variety of disposables and lately a rather nice Parker Variant with some Russian Teflon coated blades. I have to say the S9000 stands up remarkably well against a blade. according to the app my technique is off and I took too long so I expect it to improve :)

3 things I don't like about it
  1. The price is crazy - but obviously nobody pays 450 quid
  2. The advertising is ludicrous - apparently it has built in "AI"
  3. Yes, there's an app. No, nobody needs that.

Just bought one of these - literally it arrived earlier today and just used it for the first time. Haven't used an electric shaver since the 90s when I had a red and black Philishave :) I've used a variety of disposables and lately a rather nice Parker Variant with some Russian Teflon coated blades. I have to say the S9000 stands up remarkably well against a blade. according to the app my technique is off and I took too long so I expect it to improve :)

3 things I don't like about it
  1. The price is crazy - but obviously nobody pays 450 quid
  2. The advertising is ludicrous - apparently it has built in "AI"
  3. Yes, there's an app. No, nobody needs that.

I bought mine just over 2 years ago, before they came up with the AI/App rubbish :D

(and obviously didn't pay list price ;) )

When I was about 15, an uncle told me that whatever system you start with (electric or wet) you will probably never be able to change. Noticing that he took only 2-3 mins a day to shave (electric) and my father wet shaving took 15mins or more, I noted this. After earning my first wage I bought an electric shaver (Ronson), I think. I move to Philishave many years ago. My current Philishave can be used wet or dry. I have only ever used it dry but it can be used in a shower. I once tried wet shaving and came out in a rash. The benefit of electric seem great as 2 mins only a day, I can spare but 15mins no way.

Dave

Back