Wild Elephants

• Thread starter Deleted member 97386
  • Start date

Last edited by a moderator:
The elephants look good.

I tend to post from Flickr at 1024px on the long side, but that allows for the image to be clicked to view larger on Flickr. 1600px wide images look great if you are browsing on a desktop, but not so much if you are on mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:
The elephants look good.

I tend to post from Flickr at 1024px on the long side, but that allows for the image to be clicked to view larger on Flickr. 1600px wide images look great if you are browsing on a desktop, but not so much if you are on mobile.
Ah. I just clicked on an image and instead of zooming in it took me to flickr. Is there a way to zoom into embedded images and not be taken off sight to the hosting site?

Ah. I just clicked on an image and instead of zooming in it took me to flickr. Is there a way to zoom into embedded images and not be taken off sight to the hosting site?

I don’t know the answer to that but generally I find if the image opens in Flickr when you click on it then if you just close that tab you are returned to TP so it’s much the same as if it had simply enlarged.

So what I'm hearing is instead of uploading here you upload to Flickr and then when you paste the Flickr link here you have to click the image to see it larger on Flickr. Have I got that right?

:whistle:
Fair point, I guess I/we were assuming file was already in flickr.

So what I'm hearing is instead of uploading here you upload to Flickr and then when you paste the Flickr link here you have to click the image to see it larger on Flickr. Have I got that right?

:whistle:
Yes, then viewers can view the full res file ... doesn't seem like hard work to me.

Yes, then viewers can view the full res file ... doesn't seem like hard work to me.

Can the poster set the file to open at a large size in Flickr or does it default to smaller size.?

First can I say the photos of the elephants are great,particularly the one with the sunset.
When I posted to POTN I used my Zenfolio acount as I could not get my head round the resizing, I do the same here as I find it so much easier

Can the poster set the file to open at a large size in Flickr or does it default to smaller size.?
I think it depends on the max view size he sets.

Beautiful opening frame, great light, and who doesn't love elephants?

I'm with you on the small file size - I don't know anything about running a forum, but particularly with 4k monitors 1024px is just way too small to offer any decent cri on an image

Mike

Both beautiful, though I do prefer the 'heads on' one :)

In regard to the sunset one, it looks like you used a gradient filter on the sunset/horizon and that to my eyes has included the larger elephants heads & backs. Perhaps the filter needs to be more feathered to reduce such an impact on the areas where the 'change' should not show itself?

Edit ~ looking more closely....can I ask did you also change the sky in post? The reason I ask is that the shadows run left to right whereas the sun is straight ahead :thinking: i.e. I would have expected the shadows to be almost along the line of your PoV?

Last edited:
@Box Brownie I took a look and yes there was a linear gradient added to the sky to darken the top slightly and also one at the bottom to help draw the eye into the middle of the scene. The sky was replaced but there wasn’t anything I could think of to do about the shadow so I left it alone. I think In the future if I replace a sky in an image I’ll point that out initially to avoid confusion. Of all the images I took on that trip I think this is the only one that I fiddled with the sky. I saw some potential but couldn’t live with the dull gray sky.
The 'difficult' image situation I can sympathise with and though I have never entertained the thought of replacing a sky I do recall one safari image from 2005 when I shot all in jpeg so limited potential to "get better out of the image". Having said that you have prompted me to find it and have another go using the more modern PPing software.

A pride of lions taken in a valley with the light fading & dead flat contrast:(

FWIW IIRC it was shot on a Canon 350D and the 50-200mm pocket rocket lens.

For viewing on screens, both those shots look fine to me. Nothing can compare to big prints though!

The shadows do grate a bit!

First image is beautiful (and looks fine on my Mac screen).

Probably just me, but I struggle with the notion of 'replacing the sky' on a wildlife image.

First image is beautiful (and looks fine on my Mac screen).

Probably just me, but I struggle with the notion of 'replacing the sky' on a wildlife image.
I have agree with sky swaps on nature/wildlife images.

2nd image, has a strange overlay on the Elephants.

Back