SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
_DSC2898 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Ran into @Steelo @nickjohnwatson - great to meet Nick for the first time and to see Martin again. Conditions water movement were a bit flat and the best light never happened as the sky was hazy and some low cloud blocked the best of the light. Still it was a nice gentle evening and here's my best one. Nick has some good ones I saw on the back of his camera and Martins I hope has dried out.

Oh yes, for this one… I'll bite in! (y)

That light is lovely - soft, and letting detail show on the Cuillin. I'd slightly lighten the sea about 1/3 of the way up the rhs - but that's just me. Much prefer this to a contrasty sunset.

Beautiful shot Sir, love the colours and everything else about it.(y)

George.

That light is lovely - soft, and letting detail show on the Cuillin. I'd slightly lighten the sea about 1/3 of the way up the rhs - but that's just me. Much prefer this to a contrasty sunset.

In my very first rendition I had a lighter foreground but felt there were two issues with the big file

1. Overall Noise. The exposure on this is not ideal -ISO 200 rather than the base setting of 64 - I did this with the little stopper on to get a 15 sec exp. If I had used a 3 stop and 64 I'd have a cleaner exposure with more room in the RAW. On the full TIFF you can see a slight grain - still printable and big but just...
2. Colour noise - it slightly washed out the rocks in the middle and bottom left - grain and colour noise began to appear. Again better field work from me would have prevented this but it was a bit of a rush with the colour fading out.
3. The mood - the higher ISO has forced that little bit more contrast on the original exposure and I quite like the deep dark tones contrasting with the pastels of the sky. My fear was the slightly noisy lighter FG, to me, made the image feel slightly washed out. Like you, I like the gentle tones. but I'd have liked a bit more sea movement. There's always next time ;)

That's lovely, Steve.

Back