Ella, colour or b&w?

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I used the grey muslin background for this one as I thought it would look great in my usual b&w processing style, but I really can't make my mind up between these two now that I have processed them... Both have their merits, but if I just had the one, I can't decide which one it would be, especially as I set out with this as b&w in my mind...

by Graham Mayers, on Flickr

by Graham Mayers, on Flickr

Colour for me. The paint, beads, and head gear all stand out better on this very beautiful model.

As above both but the colour one would be my choice.

What muslin did you use and a link to where you bought it from please .

Thanks

Colour for me - you lose the skin tone colours, eye colouring and hair color in the conversion which are a big part of the image for me.

Colour would get my vote too!
Lovely portrait, I particularly like your model's pose and your choice of crop.

Last edited:
Thanks all for taking the time to comment and let me know your preference. Seems the overwhelming consensus is that the colour version is the winner - not even one vote for b&w!

As above both but the colour one would be my choice.

What muslin did you use and a link to where you bought it from please .

Thanks

I got the PhotoSEL BK13CA Mid Grey Muslin Photography Backdrop 3m x 6m and I bought it from Amazon UK about a year ago.

It would be nice to see Ella in her natural colour rather than light blond.
Her hair does not seem to go with her skin colour.

It would be nice to see Ella in her natural colour rather than light blond.
Her hair does not seem to go with her skin colour.

Happy to discuss hair colour vs. skin tones if it's down to my post processing, but prefer to refrain from discussing the model if it's not... Does the processing of the high key ones of her here - High Key Ella - look any better to you?

Happy to discuss hair colour vs. skin tones if it's down to my post processing, but prefer to refrain from discussing the model if it's not... Does the processing of the high key ones of her here - High Key Ella - look any better to you?

Tricky. I initially thought colour but it does look almost too contrasty and saturated compared to both the processed and unprocessed images in the other thread.
(fwiw I don't think the tones look unnatural and in fact they're pretty much identical to the rgb values from the unprocessed version of an image I'm about to bung up).

If you'd only put the colour image up, I would have thought that's great and if you'd only put the b&w image up I would have thought that was great. But you put both up and I can't decide.

I like `em both, and in some ways prefer the B&W (apart from the face beads), and colour because of the same.

The colour version is a hit… most everyone recognized that. The monochrome
does not reach the same mature visual approach and by far not simply because
the tonalities were not translated with the same rigour!
…but man is that a nice portrait!

The colour version is a hit… most everyone recognized that. The monochrome
does not reach the same mature visual approach and by far not simply because
the tonalities were not translated with the same rigour!
…but man is that a nice portrait!

Thanks for the comment Kodiak :)

Last edited:
I'm lovin' the colour too, but I would sort the smoker's teeth with a little extra whitening! Fab eyes do distract thou'.

Both are nice but the mono losses a bit of the detail for me, so colour.

I'm gonna be different here - straight away I thought mono for me.
I really like the colours in the first but for me, the mono conversion wins.

I'm gonna be different here - straight away I thought mono for me.
I really like the colours in the first but for me, the mono conversion wins.

Colour for me, you loose some of the details in Mono

Back