Eneloop AA batteries - is there a better alternative

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I find no matter how well I keep them charged, they are never 100% reliable.
I have some Lithium AA batteries would they be better?

Never had a problem with eneloop batteries tbh I have several sets a number of years old and they will power my flashes and other items for extremely long periods of time.
If anyone asks they are still my first recommendation for a reusable battery.
I do run them right down though and leave them on charge even after they say full on the charger as it can still put a trickle charge into the battery.

Are you using an intelligent charger to get the best from them though?

e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Househol...7&sr=8-4&keywords=intelligent+battery+charger

That way you can automatically cycle the batteries and you'll find out their true capacity. It's easier to detect bad cells using this type of charger, it might be you have 4 batteries but only one is at fault for example.

FWIW my last batch of Amazon basics AA 2400mAh batteries all report 26x0mAh, really impressive considering the cost.

What do you mean by not 100% reliable? Ni-MH are undoubtedly the best all-round choice and eneloops seem to come top in all the reviews, though some cheaper brands also perform nearly as well.

Lithium batteries are not recommended, they can get extremely hot very quickly.

I have also always used Eneloop batteries for my photography equipment, Great Batteries and never had any problems.
Even when charged and left for months they still hold most of their power.

Definitely perform better than some of the Duracell's that my son has for his toys, as he borrows mine when he gets a chance!!

Are you using an intelligent charger to get the best from them though?

e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Househol...7&sr=8-4&keywords=intelligent+battery+charger

That way you can automatically cycle the batteries and you'll find out their true capacity. It's easier to detect bad cells using this type of charger, it might be you have 4 batteries but only one is at fault for example.

FWIW my last batch of Amazon basics AA 2400mAh batteries all report 26x0mAh, really impressive considering the cost.
Yes I do use that and that helps a lot. What I mean by 100% reliable is that the flash recharge seems to take time and I am never 100% sure when I take a photo if the flash will fire or not.

Yes I do use that and that helps a lot. What I mean by 100% reliable is that the flash recharge seems to take time and I am never 100% sure when I take a photo if the flash will fire or not.

Mine charge the flash as fast as any other types of battery - faster than half empty disposables.

You should get the flash ready symbol in your viewfinder, and if you're struggling - up the ISO by a stop.

As a matter of interest, may I ask those people using a so-called "Intelligent" charger what charging current they normally use?

I have one of those chargers linked to above, and I normally use 500mA (1/2 Amp) as my charging current.
Has anyone tried comparing results at different charge rates?

As a matter of interest, may I ask those people using a so-called "Intelligent" charger what charging current they normally use?

I have one of those chargers linked to above, and I normally use 500mA (1/2 Amp) as my charging current.
Has anyone tried comparing results at different charge rates?
Similar up to 500mA for AA's but lower for AAA's. Not tried any comparing but i believe it's better for battery life in the long term not to overcook them during battery charges.

Word of caution - don't get carried away with the battery pack, they can be a great way to test the overheat protection of a flashgun

I have found it with several flashes Canon speedlite, YN-560 II, YN-14,

I know this is a daft question and you have done so, but there is an option on most flashes to set the battery type from Luithium to rechargeable. Both types have different discharge curves and setting the wring type can fool the internal battery meter to thinking rechargeable have less juice left then they really have

I know this is a daft question and you have done so, but there is an option on most flashes to set the battery type from Luithium to rechargeable. Both types have different discharge curves and setting the wring type can fool the internal battery meter to thinking rechargeable have less juice left then they really have
This is a new one on me. I have a 430exii & a YN685, where would I find this setting?

This is a new one on me. I have a 430exii & a YN685, where would I find this setting?

I've not seen such a switch on any modern speedlight flash gun, and lithium batteries are not recommended.

Last edited:
I'm presuming these are the real McCoy and not copies as I've never struggled with Eneloops. Having said that under what conditions are you struggling, multiple flashes or just generally ?

I believe the Pros can kick out more current which can mean faster flash recharge
Yes, agree with that but the old white ones work fine compared to the 7 day shop ones I have.

I believe the Pros can kick out more current which can mean faster flash recharge

Not really. The black Eneloop Pros are rated at 2500mAh, and the original white ones are 1900mAh, but that's the energy stored, ie how many pops per charge. Comparing the two, I get same recycle times. Same with Amazon Basics 2400mAh for that matter.

I'm presuming these are the real McCoy and not copies as I've never struggled with Eneloops. Having said that under what conditions are you struggling, multiple flashes or just generally ?
It just doesn't fire reliably - i.e. I never know if it will or not.

The standard ones give more flashes, and can be recharged more times.

The standard (white) Eneloops gives less total flashes (lower mAh rating) but can be recharged more often. However, the higher rated Eneloop-Pros (black) can still be recharged 500 times which is surely more than enough. Both types recycle the flash in the same time.

The standard (white) Eneloops gives less total flashes (lower mAh rating) but can be recharged more often. However, the higher rated Eneloop-Pros (black) can still be recharged 500 times which is surely more than enough. Both types recycle the flash in the same time.

That is all true. However some people including myself have found that they get more actual flashes out of the stand versions.
I now only use the standards. The eneloop site says the figures given are by calculation, not testing.

That is all true. However some people including myself have found that they get more actual flashes out of the stand versions.
I now only use the standards. The eneloop site says the figures given are by calculation, not testing.

You have to admit Terry, that this sounds unlikely ;)

You have to admit Terry, that this sounds unlikely ;)

I wonder why they they give the calculated figures if the tested ones are better?
However I am very happy with the performance of the standard Eneloops.

Back