England flags on cars........

Lynton

awkward customer
Name
Lynton (yes really!)
Edit My Images
No
Is it just here that people feel compelled to stick wavy flags on sticks to their cars, or do the Germans (maybe Arkady can confirm or deny) that porsche 911's are whizzing up the autobahn with the gold red and black flying proud, or a TP Saffa can confirm that the cape town taxi's (VW minibuses) are flying the rainbow flag proudly from their windows.....

I just don't get why........... but lost heavily when I predicted a flag couint of todays outing of 124 flags........ (39 seen!)

Round me they have them because the Plod tried to stop them.

I wouldn't have them because I reckon they look a bit chav but most do it because they are told they are offensive to others.

Personally I think if your offended by a little flag waving you need to get out more :D

It's called patriotism. And it appears to be making a long overdue comeback in this country.

People in every other land in the world are proud flag wavers. Some more so than others but I wish we could be more like the Americans in this respect have have public buildings fly the national flag permanently.

It's called patriotism. And it appears to be making a long overdue comeback in this country.

:clap::clap:

Not so many up here :LOL: but I feel quite proud when I see one. I'm very pro Union however we (English) should fly the flag of St George more often in my opinion.

If you want to be a true patriot then become a volunteer. Flag waving is for the half arsed and doesn't make you a patriot. WTF is patriotism these days anyway? Doing something to further enhance life for you and others in your country would at least go some way to defining your 'patriotism'.

:clap::clap:

Not so many up here :LOL: but I feel quite proud when I see one. I'm very pro Union however we (English) should fly the flag of St George more often in my opinion.

What was St George's connection to England?

Last edited:
As far as I know St George had nothing to do with England. Not even English.

We all know that's par for the course with national flags and Saints.

The Saltire and indeed St Andrew is a tale that gets about a bit ;)

If people want to waste there money on a bit of cheap tat it's up to them. Rather than being patriotic they're probably supporting child labour in China though.

If people want to waste there money on a bit of cheap tat it's up to them. Rather than being patriotic they're probably supporting child labour in China though.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

They are totally carp IMHO, it will only be a couple of weeks til England get knocked out of the cup, millons of excuses as to why they dhoulfn't have been and the flags dissapear for another few years :D :D

There have been cases where people have tried to show the Union Jack on poles on their property only to be told they need planning permission and without it it is illegal. Going on that basis I would have thought it was illegal on cars as well. It could be an offence as well by causing a distraction to other drivers. Others on here with more legal knowledge on motoring offences may be better informed.

Realspeed

"Sorry Officer, I know I was speeding but I was concerned that the chavtastic flag on the car in front may come loose and damage my car so I had to over take, unfortunatlely after overtaking the first one there were a couple more I just had a to get past as well"...

There have been cases where people have tried to show the Union Jack on poles on their property only to be told they need planning permission and without it it is illegal.

If someone did get told that officially then it would have been planning permission for the pole and not the flag it flies. Although one of our neighbours has a large pole in their back garden and they either fly the St. George's cross or The Red Dragon.

It reminds me of the woman who bleated to the right wing press because the council removed the string of flags she had strung across her street between lamp-posts. She obviously hadn't thought of the consequences of hanging a rope adorned with canvas between 2 lamps that get bloody hot and then to do that across a street!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8690454.stm

By all means put your flags up, but please don't do it in such a dangerous manner, for the love of god. :LOL:

Last week I bet saw about 40 cars with Cardiff city are on their way to wembley 2010 on them.

When I had a car, I did have the flags on for a world cup one year. Yes, very sad I know, but at the time, it looked good!

Now I have grown up a bit, I don't want hubby to put them on his car. But I don't mind others having them on. Although I thought the Police had siad it was illegal to have them on your car...can't remember the reason why ***! :(

There have been cases where people have tried to show the Union Jack on poles on their property only to be told they need planning permission and without it it is illegal. Going on that basis I would have thought it was illegal on cars as well. It could be an offence as well by causing a distraction to other drivers. Others on here with more legal knowledge on motoring offences may be better informed.

Realspeed

Planning would/should only apply to static objects.
If the police/authorities claim it's illegal to fly a flag on vehicles how come the royals, forces, embassies and union jacked minis are exempt?

Last edited:

Realspeed

Well no, you don't need planning permission to attach a small flag to a car so that's not really a fair comparison and, as someone has said, the planning permission would be for the pole rather than the flag where a residential property is concerned.

As for the offence of causing a distraction to other drivers , again no. You would then have to have the flags removed from official state vehicles (limousines carrying dignitaries) and, of course, the biggest distraction on a vehicle to other motorists, flashng blue lights. ;)

Anyone ever complained about a big red poppy on a car!!
I dont like to see flags on cars but there's nowt I can do about it....so were stuck with it
Dave

well I can confirm that the Germans are doing it too.

Are they still puting their towels down by the poolside?

Cant see what the fuss is all about, people want to put them on their cars let them. I guess the council are well within their right to enforce any rules they make and if made aware then theres no excues in the future to apply for planning permission and get refused. If its private property then the council can get lost. As for police and snotty housewife employed council workers kicking up a fuss about it offending other cultures, again, you can get lost too. Most of the time it doesn't offend anyone its just them doing the whole eggshell thing, if it does offend other cultures then suck my ironed union jack. I don't go in for political correctness and all that crap. If i went to their countries and made a fuss that their flag offended me, I would get hung or beheaded in the town square while the rest burn the union jack around me. (these countries must have flag and fuel burning shops) Just wish we had free speech like the americans

Last edited:
I think most people around here got them just because of the talk that's it might not be allowed.

If there have to be flags everywhere, I'd much rather it be the Union Jack - remember The Silver Jubilee in 1977, and how it instilled pride in all of us? However, the 2002 Golden version was a bit of a weak forgettable affair considering the Queen has been in reign for 50 years!! What happened there?!

Although I was born and have grown up in Kent all my life, that would make me a true English person, however I have Scottish roots, hence my preference in the Union Jack as it encompasses the whole country.
Waving the English flag just smacks of hooliganism and lager louts, I find it easier to take pride in the Union Jack as I think of myself as a true Brit and not some football lout supporting En-ger-land.

Mind you, the fact that I hate football might have something to do with it. :D

I think its true there are a lot more flags about because people are trying to rub it in the face of those trying to be politicallly correct. I do not like football but i got a huge union jack outside my window.

I remember in the last world cup a couple of police walked into a pub in our town They eigher had balls of steel or when completely retarded, but they expected 200 fans to take of their england shirts as if they were going to happily comply or go home and change. Those 2 coppers got destroyed

Mind you, the fact that I hate football might have something to do with it. :D

So you are the other one (y)
I AM NOT ALONE :cool: :)

As for the flag waving why not?
though I do also tend to agree with you Ian the Cross of St George
does these days ( unfortunately) seem to be the "badge" of the hoolimagon :(
Instead of how it was intended...............
The "standard" of a dragon slayer
( And he did a good job too by all accounts, I've not seen one in years, apart from the one I married that is ;) )

Personally I think if your offended by a little flag waving you need to get out more :D

Mmmmm & see even more of the flags being stuck on cars being driven around.... Which would no doubt wind you up even more ;)

LOADS of idiots with stupid plastic flags on over here - especially after winning Eurovision - it assumes an importance way beyond what we have in the UK...

next they'll be driving across the Polish border...again....

actually they wont - the President just resigned after being taken to task after he commented on the Bundeswehr actually being allowed to do their job properly without interference...
What? Let the Army be soldiers...? Perish the very thought...

Last world cup when all the neighbours had their England flags out, I had a big skull and cross bones. I'll probably get it out again this year.

Well all i can say is i doubt England will win. For one they are paid far too much to care and have done for some time now. I guess if they only got paid when they win, they actually have something to play for other than deciding which yaucht to buy.

Personally I think if your offended by a little flag waving you need to get out more

Don't think I ever said I was offended.............. just wondered "WHY?"

The so called patriotism will all end on the 27 June when England are out.

Yes I would like to see more patriotism in the UK like in the USA, but the PC brigade will never allow children in school to pledge allegiance to the flag ,queen or country. We don't want to upset anyone now do we. :annoyed:

For one they are paid far too much to care and have done for some time now. I guess if they only got paid when they win, they actually have something to play for other than deciding which yaucht to buy.

Oh so sad and yet so true :(

Well all i can say is i doubt England will win. For one they are paid far too much to care and have done for some time now. I guess if they only got paid when they win, they actually have something to play for other than deciding which yaucht to buy.

Actually, the "paid too much" argument doesn't really hold water given that the Italians, French, German, Spanish, Brazilians etc are paid just the same, if not more. The highest paid players in the premiership are mostly not English.

Actually, the "paid too much" argument doesn't really hold water given that the Italians, French, German, Spanish, Brazilians etc are paid just the same, if not more. The highest paid players in the premiership are mostly not English.

It also doesn't hold water because last I heard the England team donate their international match fees to charity.

However patriotic or not you are the flags just look cheap and that's surely not how you want to celebrate your country.

Was filling up the car when 3 landscape gardeners vans turned up full of lads. They bought dozens of those flags and st georges cross stickers and spent ages decking out their vans. Was quite funny.

INGERRRLAND.. lol.

No so funny when one bounces of the windscreen on the motorway! And believe me I know!

you see from that perspective i can completely understand why the police want to try and stop them, idiotic people seem to forget they have the flags attached and open their car windows. However you know what its like in this country, it only takes one accident as a result and everyone else suffers because there will be a nationwide ban.

Back