English as she is rit.

Edit My Images
Yes
You don't have to answer this but.

Do you think typing words on the net will lead to us appreciating the written text more, or less?

Or will it all fade away when picture conferencing takes over?

I know - a bit dry but I think this stuff so I just gotta ask.:wacky:

Regards:wave:

I avoid writing whenever possible.

Where would wonderful forums such as this be without the written word, the wonderful lyrical waxings of the erudite membership.

I personally don't think the net helps us appreciate the written word anymore. Tapping away at a keyboard is not like writing a letter, and I find that people tend to use more abbreviations and short cuts ikywim :)

I used to write formal business letters to the tune of about 40 a week. I now send one or two and send emails instead - but hundreds of them!

It is a less formal style and my language has changed. Often an email is signed off with a simple "regards" instead of "trusting the above and enclosed to be in order, yours sincerely, etc"

Language is a living thing and changes continually. My friend's mother is Polish and came here during WW2. She taught him how to talk in her language. The current influx of Poles lead him to employ a couple. They laugh at his "old" language which is now half a century out of date.

The way we use language will change, technology may alter the rate of change, but the written word is often more concise than spoken words.

Just my thoughts.

(y)

Short answer is NO Sharkey ... :shrug:

But what it will do is add to and enhance a growing dictionary of words in the English language, as it is, as eloquently keyboarded (not so quaint as penned but heyho such is progress and a sign of the times ... ;)) by Gary, a living thing under continual change ... imgo ... :D

FWIW ... :cautious:

:p

Cor Blimey Guv! Where's this leading? I agree with Min.... all this tippy-tapping on a keyboard is hardly going to give an enhancement to the English language.... and as for V-conferencing, you don't wanna see me right now. :LOL:

As long as we still have books.... :clap: As for magazines, I've actually stopped buying them simply because of the poor grammar and smelling mistooks! ;)

Do you mean "writing" as in with the pen/pencil?

I meant I avoid writing, and prefer typing. Just because my handwriting is illegible... even to me. :p

I see a development in the written (typed or not) in your very response to my question.

It would be interesting (for me) to put the response to an age of responder.

As in Kamion for example. Apart from notes I am of an age where anything meaningful to a another would by definition be written in 'fountain pen':thinking: God I'm old:shake:

Even the humour has a still a written feel rather than spoken.

Perhaps we hold on to our roots without knowing it.:wacky:

I am a great advocate of the correct use of grammer and pronounciation and it does concern me when I get a text message from my daughter and not one word is in a language I understand. For example - Hi D, wot r u doin da wend. I realise this is only text speak but I do have a concern that the youth of today will grow up not knowing how to structure a sentence properly. That said I'm the first to use forum abbreviations iykwim lol ;)

I love the way language changes but it's really how typing conversations in nearly real time has changed our use of the written word that has been popping into my empty head recently.

Hence the question.

Thanks

I am a great advocate of the correct use of grammer and pronounciation and it does concern me ....... --CLIP--

Ahem! ..... if you wish to be a great advocate then please aware that the correct words are "grammar" & "pronunciation"! ;) :LOL:

I'm off to get a dictionary!!!!!! :exit:

Back