EOS 3 Questions.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure their must be some owners sprinkled around the forum? ;)

1. Power Drive Booster PB-E2:

I see it takes 8 AA sized batteries, it must weigh a ton? I assume you can use rechargable nicads in it?

2. Standard Lithium battery

How do you find they last?

3. Eye Control Focusing.

Does it work for you? It seems for every user who thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, there's another who thinks it's pants. :cautious:

Thanks in advance.

1) its heavy but still useable. i tend not to bother with it though

2) ages, still havent changed mine yet and its had a fair few rolls through it

3) it wont work if I'm wearing my glasses, I find you have to have a really tight seal between your eye and the viewfinder. When it does work its quite good but I wouldn't risk it for crucial split second shots

the camera is great though

Jonnyreb's your man CT. He has an EOS3.

I've had a play with it a couple of times and it's certainly a heavy beast. Feels nice though :) Personally I couldn't work out the eye focus control, although I know Jon finds it works well. I believe you have to kind of calibrate it to your own eye.

Not much help, I know :(

Thanks Chris - I don't think I'll bother with the power booster then, especially since a 36 exp roll of film is gonna get zipped through in about 5 seconds! :D

Thanks Grendel - I've been reading up on the calibration - it looks a PITA!

1. Power Drive Booster PB-E2:

Don't have one so can't comment

2. Standard Lithium battery

Many rolls (10+)

3. Eye Control Focusing.

Hate it - never use it.

I had the EOS5 which had the eye focus. It worked but it wasn't 100% reliable. If you didn't have you're eye in exactly the some position relative to the viewfinder there were too many times it thought you were looking at a different focus point.

Nice gimmick but it got switched off pretty quickly

LOL. Tis done Paul. Ordered anyway. :D

Being a dyed in the wool Nikon man up to the time I went digital, I'm afraid I was woefully ignorant of Canon film offerings, so I have been trawling the net to bone up on what's available. I can't believe the spec of this camera, especially given what you can pick' em up for now. :shrug:

No viewfinder blind and no eyesight diopter correction are the only minor niggles I can see and I can live with those.

I had the EOS5 which had the eye focus. It worked but it wasn't 100% reliable. If you didn't have you're eye in exactly the some position relative to the viewfinder there were too many times it thought you were looking at a different focus point.

Nice gimmick but it got switched off pretty quickly

It speaks volumes really that Canon didn't continue it with later models.

My Dad had an EOS5 and we both decided the eye focus was a gimmick and yes, the fact its not carried over into the current range must mean something.

I find it amusing that on rumour threads on new models it keeps making a return!

My Dad had an EOS5 and we both decided the eye focus was a gimmick and yes, the fact its not carried over into the current range must mean something.

I find it amusing that on rumour threads on new models it keeps making a return!
I have an EOS 30 & the eye controlled focus on that was spot on. I miss in a lot in digital land & would welcome it's return. :razz:

Surprised the 3 doesn't have dioptre when the lower spec 30 does.

Your right about the throughput though CT. You want to be sure that single shot is selected by default. :eek:

Well it turned up on Saturday morning - so lightening delivery from Ffordes, I only ordered it late on Thursday night. I can't say much for the packaging - one sheet of bubblewrap around the body and a flimsy little box not much bigger than the body. I'm amazed it got here unscathed tbh., unusual for Ffordes.

Chuffed with it I is though, I've been trying it out with a few lenses and the AF system is fantastic - lightening fast.

A roll of well out of date Provia 100 is out of the fridge and acclimatising to room temp. :naughty:

Bit late cos you've got it now. Just thought I'd say, if you didn't already know, its an awesome camera. I love mine, haven't bothered with a BG as it feels pretty well balanced without, and battery life is good. Focusing speed is tremendous. All in all it just makes me want to upgrade my 400D more each time I use it. In fact, I'm probably using it more than my digi of late.

Enjoy (y)

PS Never bothered with eye control, don't trust it.

Well it turned up on Saturday morning - so lightening delivery from Ffordes, I only ordered it late on Thursday night. I can't say much for the packaging - one sheet of bubblewrap around the body and a flimsy little box not much bigger than the body. I'm amazed it got here unscathed tbh., unusual for Ffordes.

my last (and only) order from ffordes Arrived in nothing but a fabric mail sack.......:bat:

Back